iPhone Fears/Reservations

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I am a current Treo 700p owner and I think that the iPhone is REALLY cool...but I am a youth pastor and use the Treo extensively in an office environment. I frequently access my laptop in my office, edit MS Office documents, utilize the schedule, contacts, notes, voice memos...etc. I also keep track of my mileage and autos with software. I am concerned that there are many limitations with the iPhone for the "businesss" user of the Treo. It seems like it's a cool phone with limited businesss usage. Am I correct in that estimation/concern? Any advice/information you could give me would really help my decision. Thanks!

mrmacbook

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
you are correct. we can't edit word docs yet. :(

a "businesss" user would be disappointed at this point.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Without a doubt, I think of it more as an entertainment device that utilizes only enough basic businesss features to keep people from complaining.

I am a current Treo 700p owner and I think that the iPhone is REALLY cool...but I am a youth pastor and use the Treo extensively in an office environment. I frequently access my laptop in my office, edit MS Office documents, utilize the schedule, contacts, notes, voice memos...etc. I also keep track of my mileage and autos with software. I am concerned that there are many limitations with the iPhone for the "businesss" user of the Treo. It seems like it's a cool phone with limited businesss usage. Am I correct in that estimation/concern? Any advice/information you could give me would really help my decision. Thanks!

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Hey I could be wrong - but this smells a lot like another Troll post.

Joins same day - brings up known limitations on iPhone, trying to sound all concerned.

Spreads FUD about it not being applicable for businesss etc etc.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
o.O someone isn't playin any games lol..

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

Joins same day - brings up known limitations on iPhone, trying to sound all concerned.

I'd say no...He mentions twice how "cool" the iPhone is, and is not MAKING A STATEMENT but rather asking an opinion from someone who has one. And the fact is, since he admits he doesn't have one - AND says he is "guessing" - I wouldn't call this a troll post.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
Love my iPhone

but, it was made by the iPod maker... it has yet to evolve its businesss skin. I am sure that will come soon.

For now you may want to stick to your Treo because of the MS Office needs that you currently have.

Hate to have a youth minister make a financial mistake... good luck...:cool:

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
I'd say no...He mentions twice how "cool" the iPhone is, and is not MAKING A STATEMENT but rather asking an opinion from someone who has one. And the fact is, since he admits he doesn't have one - AND says he is "guessing" - I wouldn't call this a troll post.
Well - I'd say the Trolls are just getting smarter so they don't get kicked off the site straight away with their flame attacks.

They suggest things and ask things as questions, rather than just coming right out and saying iPhone doesn't do xyz

We'll see if our concerned Treo user pans out, but right now I'm saying TROLL

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah you don't need one. If you're wanting to edit documents from your phone, then you need to stick with that really cool treo.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
We'll see if our concerned Treo user pans out, but right now I'm saying TROLL
Oh for goodness sake, why all the paranoia. The fellow asked an honest question IMO

As far as the question itself, is it possible I wonder to access Google Documents via Safari? Google Documents lets you edit Word and Excel documents over the web.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Oh for goodness sake, why all the paranoia. The fellow asked an honest question IMO. Don't we all have low posting counts, this MB only started a couple of weeks ago.
Actually I think the board has been around almost a year now.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI

It's actually kinda funny that you would respond that way. I have only looked into the iPhone a little...I am a regular contributor on EverythingTreo.com and am on the reviewing staff of that site. Chris is the owner of this site as well. I'm just raising a question I had...but I do know that "trolls" can be quite annoying as they just want to make people mad. I had no intention of that...just asking a question as I only know the "cool" stuff of the iPhone. Wondering if I missed anything.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Oh for goodness sake, why all the paranoia. The fellow asked an honest question IMO

As far as the question itself, is it possible I wonder to access Google Documents via Safari? Google Documents lets you edit Word and Excel documents over the web.
Now, that's an idea. However, I access my computer directly...would I be able to download the document directly to my iPhone then load it to Google? Or would the document have to be pre-loaded to Google? The access helps me because I don't always think I'll need a document and then I can grab things as I need them and take them to Docs-to-go...Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to wait for the next release of the iPhone. I am a bit disappointed as I am curiously "drawn" to the iPhone (I'm a gadget guy), but alas, it probably won't suit my needs for the time being. :)