iPhone Feature Ideas...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
I don't know if there's some other thread for this, but if not, we should get a running thread with ideas for future iPhone versions. Here's my first take:

- Voice dial

- GPS + Google Maps integration

- Voicemail function doesn't work with all BT headsets because it doesn't actually DIAL, it just begins broadcasting the recorded msg

- Landscape view for SMS/texting

- 3G packet radio support, obviously

- Rubberized non-slip pads so it doesn't slip out of your hands so darn easy!

- Customizable ringtones + vmail/text tones

- Drag & Drop Synch in iTunes and/or mounted "Removable Disk", like iPod has

- Stronger BT radio (mine gets fuzzy about 4' away or more)

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Functionality in the Notes App so that you can type something like Date: 7/4/08 Time: 4:00pm Task: 4th BBQ and the phone will automatically add that to your calendar.

Also, on the screens where you can choose between Portrait and Landscape mode, you can have Landscape mode in either direction (IE: Home button on both left and right) and it'll go Landscape in that direction. However, for the apps that only work in Landscape mode, like Videos and YouTube, I've found that the Landscape goes only one way, and that's with the Volume switch on the bottom. This makes it easy to accidentally hit that button when you're holding the phone. The ability to have this Landscape go the other way, with the Volume rocker on top, would be awesome.

Just two things I thought of in the couple times I was at the AT&T store playing with the display iPhone.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
Some more ideas I came up with:

- Clearly more browser functions, such as Java and Client Cert support
- Some ability to disable spell checker
- Sideways keyboard for SMS (I'm going to bring this up every day from here on out)
- Option to increase bluetooth radio strength
- Option to increase speakerphone and handset volumes
- Separation (even with simple icons) of incoming/outgoing calls (vs. grouping like we have now)

That's all for now.. :)

W

winklebleck

my list

I have some, but will restrict them to ones that I believe could be implemented via software updates, and not hardware, so clearly 3g can not be one. Some may have been mentioned already.

overall use
• rotation in all apps, especially notes, sms, anywhere a keyboard pops up, I really prefer the landscape keyboard.
• edge/wifi relative settings (if connected with edge, do this, if wifi, do this. More on this later.
• custom ringtones/alerts
• dictionary should be viewable/editable
• cut/copy/paste
• SYNCABLE NOTES!
• Browseable file system.

phone/contacts
• voice dial, maybe click and hold mic on headset asks "who would you like to call?"
• This one is weird, while on a call I could not add or edit a contact. I was talking to someone, they where giving my info on another person that I wanted to save, this surprised me.

mail
• smart folders, or some way to see all new messages from all accounts, I have 5 mail accounts, and the back and forth kills me.
• a limit on attachment size to DL
• split view, like we say in the keynote, remember?
• the ability to add folders to POP mailboxes.

Safari
• HUGE! remember zoom within domain. if I scale a site to work for me, click a link that is on the same site, with a similar design, I need to scale again, that is silly.
• For long pages, the abilty to scroll faster by scrolling along the right side (similar to contacts)
• as mentioned above, if a site (like google) displays content to match your browser, i wish the browser could identify itself by how it's connected, or at least have the ability to set it as a mobile browser. I know that Apple pushed the "real web" hard, so this is a stretch, but EDGE is just too damn slow for the real web.
• I like how press and hold shows more info, I want to be able to open link in new window/tab via press and hold.
• Flash Plugin
• Save images/content to iPod

Calendar
• SYNCABLE TODO LIST!
• calendar categories (ala ical)
• pinch zoom day view to see more of your day

iPod
• Preview/Purchase iTunes over wifi

Mac Interaction
• itunes-drag and drop music to iPhone
• remote desktop control ( i would use this with VPN )

and lastly here is one for Google that I'm sure they've heard before.
IMAP IMAP IMAP!

Jul 5, 2007
Translucent Overlays

Problem: Watching an episode of Weeds and i get a text, do i want to stop watching the show, go to SMS, type it out, send it and then resume my show only to have it happen all over again, no.

Fix: In certain situations, such as watching a video, have an opaque/translucent overlay pop up that allows me to read the SMS message, and reply to it while still keeping an eye on the video playing underneath the keyboard and message display area.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
This one takes the cake..

- BLUETOOTH SUPPORT FOR VOICEMAIL PLAYBACK!

WTF!

This sucks if you want to listen to voicemail when driving. Now I have to UNSAFELY hold my handset with one hand or else fiddle with getting speakerphone enabled and then not be able to hear that well because of the road noise...

GRRRRRRR!

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
I just thought of two ideas, which I think would be great.
Two new buttons on the home screen. One a toggle to turn Bluetooth On/Off
the other a toggle to turn WiFi On/Off

Yeah, they're both in the settings, but it'd be great to be able to bypass those extra steps.

Or, maybe make it so we can set certain function to the home screen, allowing the aforementioned buttons, and also for us to add some extra buttons for whatever we may want, IE: open safari to a certain web page, open Google Maps to a certain search location, etc etc.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
Another one to add to the list (of gripes)!

- Cannot store/update a contact whilst on the phone!

So when someone calls you and tells you their new number, you gotta write it down and update it later!

:(

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Tags instead of folders. Ala gmail/del.icio.us
Folders are soo 1980's.
Tempo control for the iPod. Useful for working out (make the beat of the music the same speed as your jogging steps. Keeps you running at a steady rhythm. Tempo control is also good for slowing music down for my dance class.)

stiphone

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
File explorer and the ability to send and receive files via bluetooth or WIFI! Another great feature which i would greatly appreciate is printing to a WIFI or bluetooth printer.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I don't think the landscape SMS is that great an idea, when you actually sit down and think about it. I don't even like it that much in Safari, because it covers about 75% of the screen. You can't even see the text you're typing in, most of the time. I like having a backlog of my conversation, right above the keyboard, like the current SMS mode.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Another one to add to the list (of gripes)!

- Cannot store/update a contact whilst on the phone!

So when someone calls you and tells you their new number, you gotta write it down and update it later!

:(
Agreed. That is not really a complaint I would count as one of my own, but I agree with you. I tried this the other day, and there was no way to do it.
I guess you could always use the Notes. :)