iPhone Features Requests

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ieeefee

May 27, 2007
Here are a few feature requests we would like to see added to the iPhone at some point:
* 3G. not that it is available in my area, but some day it will be!
* The iPod application includes a handy volume control slider, but does not appear to include a method for changing the playing location of the current audio track (rewind/fast-forward/jump to point). This feature does appear in the video player.
* GPS with integration into Google Maps
* Use the built in camera to record video.
* Push email from Google. Not totally in Apple's control because Google does not currently offer IMAP. When/if Google adds this feature it would be nice to know that the phone will support it.
* Steve pointed out that iPhone parses phone numbers in email messages, how about parsing street addresses with a magical import into Google Maps?
* Support for multiple email accounts. This feature may already be present, I can't tell from the demos. These days people have many email accounts including work and one or more Gmail, Yahoo!, and Hotmail accounts.
* Display Favicon.ico (the little icon/logo next to the site address in most browsers) image on the bookmarks screen and the change page screen.
* Flash videos supported: At present, iPhone seems only supports mp4, h.264, mp3, aac. If it supports Flash files, iPhone will be more popular. Flash is working its way into all of todays popular sites (YouTube, MySpace, Google Talk (web), Yahoo! Messenger (web), etc)
* Third-party software: The list of applications available for Windows Mobile and Palm is huge! I am sure many of the Mac developers out there would love the opportunity to develop/sell applications that run on the iPhone like games, video conversion, DVD to iPhone software, music data recovery, media editor, etc.
* There has been some rumors of an Apple developed spreadsheet application for Mac. It would be nice if there was a mini-spreadsheet program for viewing/editing simple spreadsheets. The same thing goes for Word documents (as you might guess Microsoft makes mini-versions of these applications available on their phone OS).

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Hi and welcome to EI :).

Your post is very well thought out and I agree with with you that all the features you list would be great additions to the iPhone. Some of them may even be available from the beginning.

* The iPod application includes a handy volume control slider, but does not appear to include a method for changing the playing location of the current audio track (rewind/fast-forward/jump to point). This feature does appear in the video player.
I noticed this too while watching the keynote. I listen to a lot of audio books and this feature is a must. I would be surprised if it is absent.

* Flash videos supported: At present, iPhone seems only supports mp4, h.264, mp3, aac. If it supports Flash files, iPhone will be more popular. Flash is working its way into all of todays popular sites (YouTube, MySpace, Google Talk (web), Yahoo! Messenger (web), etc)
Flash may be present from the start. According to an interview with Steve Jobs, youtube support will be at the very least. Here is the relevant part of the interview:
Markoff: “And what are you thinking about Flash and Java?”

Jobs: “Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain.”

Markoff: “Flash?”

Jobs: “Well, you might see that.”

Markoff: “What about YouTube–”

Jobs: “Yeah, YouTube—of course. But you don’t need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get ‘em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec.”
* Third-party software: The list of applications available for Windows Mobile and Palm is huge! I am sure many of the Mac developers out there would love the opportunity to develop/sell applications that run on the iPhone like games, video conversion, DVD to iPhone software, music data recovery, media editor, etc.
In a recent interview, Steve said that they still haven't decided if they are going to allow 3rd party apps. IMHO, it is just a matter of time. If I had to bet, I would say they will wait awhile to allow 3rd party apps. This will give time for the iPhone to establish a reputation as a solid stable device. Then if stability problems occur after 3rd party apps are introduce, it will be obvious where the blame lies.

May 6, 2007
United States
You brought up some excellent points and as always, wot was there with his extremely long, quote-filled posts to clear things up. You basically did an excellent job with your list and there is not much more I can say.

One thing I did notice, though, is the flash bit. I don't remember where, and I will try to find the source, but I do remember reading an update on this that mentioned for sure it will have Flash, but that the version is not yet known. I remember that it was linked on this forum, though, so if you look around, you might just find it.

For the iPod scroller thing, it is an interesting point and now that I think about it, this wasn't really displayed in the keynote. I can't see it not being in there, though, as everybody wants to rewind and fast forward. Come on, you can touch your music :D

Some of the things you mentioned are definitely possibilities, like the third party software. It has yet to be officially announced, and it is all speculation at this point.

Well, I am rambling now. Great job, and welcome to EI :)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
For the iPod scroller thing, it is an interesting point and now that I think about it, this wasn't really displayed in the keynote.
Yeh there must be a way to do this.

Maybe if you hit the pause button, the volume slider could do double duty and change to a fast forward/rewind slider... or maybe the previous/next track ( |< >| ) buttons do double duty somehow?

On the Apple website and in Jobs' demo, when you're in cover flow mode there's an "i" button on the bottom right corner that's not accounted for... I'm not sure if that would bring you back to the "now playing" screen or what..

reptilexcq

Jun 5, 2007
1.3G a must
2.GPS a must w/ Google (i heard it will be included in 2.0)
3.At least a 5.0MP video recorder that record up to 30fps. In this day of age, it's important to have a video recorder now...look at what they capture on Saddam and the Virginia Tech. Apple need to take into consideration that this is a highly requested feature on a mobile phone. Don't just give us a cheap one either...come out w/ the BEST in the market.
4. Support all kinds of video formats...flash divx wmv...ect. I have another question...does the browser support these formats as well? i don't think so. It'll be nice that you can download video and mp3 directly in the cellphone.
5.Does it support AIM, MSM messenger? These are MUST HAVE as well! If i can run browser on my cellphone, WHY can't i run AIM as well? Afterall, i am using my Wifi internet...i just need the software...which are already FREE everywhere.

Jun 3, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
I think video recording should be there.

and one more feature i would like to have is-we should able to contact external memory to iPhone,eg: thumb drive.. it should be via the iPhone dock

reptilexcq

Jun 5, 2007
I think video recording should be there.

and one more feature i would like to have is-we should able to contact external memory to iPhone,eg: thumb drive.. it should be via the iPhone dock
yes but it's only 2.0MP which is weak and not clear. You got to come out w/ at least a 5.0MP video recorder like Nokia N95!

MsErica

Jun 5, 2007
Agreed on GPS

I want a GPS very much as well. The sad part is by the time Apple comes out with it I'll probably have broken down and bought a great car model.

As a Mac user here's what I would want in my iPhone GPS is the ability to plan a daily itinerary from my mac and have it synced automatically through bluetooth.

So if on Tuesday I had to go to a meeting in Waltham, my aunt's house in Needham, the plumbing store in Newton and my italian class in Cambridge, I would simply enter those addresses in my mac and I'd go to the GPS and find them there.

The reason I want this is I type 80-100 words a minute on a keyboard so there's no way I want to spend any time putting addresses in a GPS.

I would assume (I hope correctly) that all the addresses from the Mac address book would be automatically synced to the phone and available through the GPS.

Other useful features would be:

--The ability to easily answer the phone and return to the navigator by placing the call on hold. I currently am testing Verizon's VZ navigator on a motorola krazr, and I've found if I need to answer the phone or make a call, it exits the navigator and by the time I get back in I'm lost. Would be much better if I could place the call on hold for a moment with the navigator still running to find out where to turn next.

--Automatically inputting the state where you are as a first option when entering an address. The Verizon program keeps guessing Maine when I put in M. Then Maryland. Only after I type Mas through the cumbersome keyboard do I get Massachusetts!

Erica

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
COMPILED LIST:
3G
volume control slider
GPS with integration into Google Maps
record video
Push email from other sites.
multiple email accounts
Favicon.ico
Flash supported
Third-party software
Support all kinds of video formats
HSDPA

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
At least a 5.0MP video recorder that record up to 30fps..
I'm sorry but you don't even know what you're talking about here... 5 MP is virtually impossible unless you increase the size of the lens, thus increasing the size of the phone. Video is hard enough to do for an image sensor... You can do 30 fps but you have to reduce resolution...

Camcorders aren't the size that they are for no reason...

reptilexcq

Jun 5, 2007
I'm sorry but you don't even know what you're talking about here... 5 MP is virtually impossible unless you increase the size of the lens, thus increasing the size of the phone. Video is hard enough to do for an image sensor... You can do 30 fps but you have to reduce resolution...

Camcorders aren't the size that they are for no reason...
So in other word, future iPhone will never have at least a 5.0MP cam recorder since obviously they would not expand the size.

animerin

Jun 14, 2007
Definitely agree

I agree with having other apps available on the iPhone, I'm sure they will have it if there's demand. My mother is a realtor and didn't want the iPhone because her other phone allowed the program, AgentOffice to be used on there. After she saw the demo and is not liking our current service provider, we're switching and purchasing iPhones. I definitely think other apps provide incentive for non-Mac users to look into the iPhone.