iPhone fell in water please help

Jul 15, 2009
My iPhone 3g just fell in water and i thought it was dead , I unscrewed it just to get it dry after sometime it worked but the screen was pale and the touchpad not working and some other parts, so i switched it off, and from then it wont turn back on , but when it is connected to the computer iTunes sees it charges it and i can transfrer data from and to the phone, and when it is plugged into the charger it charges but without any visible signs of charging , and when i put the sim card in the phone and i try to call that number it rings but there is no sound from the phone nothing, is there anyway to fixx it i reallyy love my phone:(

Jun 12, 2009
your the example of bad luck...really sorry to hear dat bro...i don't think u can take it back to the Apple store to change it...the thing you should have done when it fell in the water is open it and let it rest where the sun rays hit it directly for about 5 hours..i did that with an old sony i had and it worked perfectly..try that to see if it works

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
About the only thing you can do is turn the phone off and put it in a bag of rice. Leave it there for at least a week. Hopefully the rice will draw out the moisture and maybe the phone will work.
Good luck.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
You should never turn on your phone if it's been submerged in liquid! The most common remedy is to leave it off, stick it in a ziplock baggie full of uncooked rice, and let it sit there for several days to a week or more. The dried, uncooked rice will absorb any moisture, and hopefully your iPhone will be ok.

jaydub

Jun 22, 2009
If you unscrewed it you voided your warranty. Just so you know. The rice thing is often effective. Good luck.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
What about Uploads wife's remedy- in the oven wrapped in a paper towel at 150 degrees for 30 minutes :sneaky:

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
What about Uploads wife's remedy- in the oven wrapped in a paper towel at 150 degrees for 30 minutes :sneaky:
Unfortunately, it's too late for any remedy at this point. As has been pointed out you can't turn the thing on until you're absolutely certain the internal components have completely dried. Turning it on when it's even semi-wet will short out the circuit board.

atldvd

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
N.E. Oklahoma
If you unscrewed it you voided your warranty. Just so you know. The rice thing is often effective. Good luck.
I think the warranty is already gone when you drop it in water. Unscrewing it won't make things any worse!

I think most people don't leave it off long enough. They get impatient. BTW do you think you should change the rice out occasionally? Does it get saturated?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I think the warranty is already gone when you drop it in water. Unscrewing it won't make things any worse!

I think most people don't leave it off long enough. They get impatient. BTW do you think you should change the rice out occasionally? Does it get saturated?
Good point about the warranty. A tripped water sensor voids the warranty just the same.

Fortunately, I was able to convince the genius I dealt with to exchange my phone despite the water sensor being activated!

As for changing the rice, it certainly wouldn't hurt and rice is inexpensive. I would wait as long as I could to boot the thing... even longer than what most recommend.

Jul 16, 2009
Hi I didn't want to start a new thread, here's my problem:

I will make this short and concise, so I don't waste your time.

1. Wife washes the iPhone.

2. I take it apart, dry it.

3. It comes on after three days, but screen is pale, and battery doesn't hold charge, and vibrator is dead.

4. I replace the battery and it holds better charge but not as long as before.

5. It works fine, as far as calling and everything.

6. Screen looks like this:

7. On a PC/Mac it looks like this

8. I replace the LCD screen, but still no change.

Where is the problem? Is it the logic board?

Please help, it's driving me crazy

Last edited by a moderator:

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
what You need to do is find someone in the businesss of modding iPhones via craigslist
have them swap out the water sensors with new ones
and get a new phone under warranty

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Hi I didn't want to start a new thread, here's my problem:

I will make this short and concise, so I don't waste your time.

1. Wife washes the iPhone.

2. I take it apart, dry it.

3. It comes on after three days, but screen is pale, and battery doesn't hold charge, and vibrator is dead.

4. I replace the battery and it holds better charge but not as long as before.

5. It works fine, as far as calling and everything.

6. Screen looks like this:

7. On a PC/Mac it looks like this

8. I replace the LCD screen, but still no change.

Where is the problem? Is it the logic board?

Please help, it's driving me crazy
Its the board connector not the screen
you should sell your iPhone on craigslist as a broken one
you can get upwards of 150 for it
and put that money towards a new one

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2009
do you mean to get a new one from Apple? Am I still under warranty?I thought there didn' cover water damaged iPhones

Can I replace the board connector? I can get a 3gS in december. I too addicted to my iPhone to be without one until then.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
do you mean to get a new one from Apple? Am I still under warranty?I thought there didn' cover water damaged iPhones

Can I replace the board connector? I can get a 3gS in december. I too addicted to my iPhone to be without one until then.
What I am asking you to do is be dishonest, Can you be dishonest for me William?

Jul 16, 2009
Ok maste iCafe, let me get this straight (sorry for being slow).

I give my phone to somebody to modd it to make it look like new, and then go to Apple and have them replace it? Under what excuse. Sorry if I'm sounding stupid.

jaydub

Jun 22, 2009
dishonesty is the risk

The genius won't notice the loosened screws....apple tech when it gets back to home base....? That's another story. with the water sensors replaced, they won't catch it until later. Hopefully you will be clear by then. I doubt they would pursue it.
Good luck.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok maste iCafe, let me get this straight (sorry for being slow).

I give my phone to somebody to modd it to make it look like new, and then go to Apple and have them replace it? Under what excuse. Sorry if I'm sounding stupid.
I'm not saying I condone this.

But I just wanted to point out that you don't have to have an excuse. If you take a phone into Apple that does not have any physical damage (dents or cracked screen) and the water sensors have not been triggered, they will replace it if it is still under warranty. You don't have to say anything other than, "Something is wrong with this phone."