iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 Features Revealed?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
This from macrumors.com:

Engadget posted a gallery of photos showing the UK iPhone which carried version 1.1.1 of the iPhone firmware. The new firmware show a number of new features for the latest iPhone update which is not yet publicly available.

- Home Button Preferences - Home, Phone Favorites, iPod, Show iPod Controls
- Version 1.1.1
- International Prefs - keyboards, region format
- TV Out - Widescreen, NTSC options, Closed Captioning
- Edge Roaming - on and off
- Wifi iTunes Store
- Carrier Preference - (present on current iPhones and only available when roaming)

An iPhone update has been rumored to be coming shortly.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, I'm dyin' for this one, it will make my iPhone complete (TV-Out).

I'm really crossing my fingers the only hurdle with modding 1.1.1 phones is very minor if there is any problems that is.

It's going to be a really hard decision between going back to stock for TV-Out or keeping my mods.

muffinman

Sep 18, 2007
Good info... but what's the point of having the "double-click" take you back Home? A single click already does that....

This from macrumors.com:

Engadget posted a gallery of photos showing the UK iPhone which carried version 1.1.1 of the iPhone firmware. The new firmware show a number of new features for the latest iPhone update which is not yet publicly available.

- Home Button Preferences - Home, Phone Favorites, iPod, Show iPod Controls
- Version 1.1.1
- International Prefs - keyboards, region format
- TV Out - Widescreen, NTSC options, Closed Captioning
- Edge Roaming - on and off
- Wifi iTunes Store
- Carrier Preference - (present on current iPhones and only available when roaming)

An iPhone update has been rumored to be coming shortly.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I would LOVE double-clicking the HOME button to unlock my phone, instead of sliding the sliderrrrrrrr.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
No copy, paste....sorry.

double click is like that extra side button on a mouse. You can make it go straight to a small screen to either pause or go to the next song (see image above). Or you can make it do other options....of what, we won't know for a week.

TV out and the double tap is nice, but I was hoping for smaller things too like MMS, copy paste, video camera, native IM (even though 3rd party apps have done it very well, Apple should still do this!) I won't be officially disappointed until I get the update. After that I'll be setting my sights on the rumored GPS/3G (and hopefully 16GB) iPhone coming (again hopefully) early next year.

tangfj

Aug 31, 2007
i'm not sure if anyone else would like this, but i'd like to have the option to double click the volume up button to skip to the next track when the phone is locked and double click the volume down button to go back. unlocking the phone to switch songs is such a pain!

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I think---and I may be wrong---a double click does something different. It takes you to a different screen, with different options. Like I said, I may be wrong.
My understanding is that this is from sleeping. So you click twice and you are home. If you have it set to do ipod controls you click twice and it brings them up (again from sleeping) and finally you can set it to take you to your phone favorites, which will satisfy some complaints some people have about how many clicks it takes to make a call.

One other thing, the photos on engadget also showed a new icon for the calculator, so something might have been updated with that too.

Breadfan

Sep 14, 2007
I was wondering where iTunes comes up with the next date to check for updates? Mine says 9/22/07. I would think that if it just picked so many days in the future that would be from the date you told it to check. But even if I click the button to manually check for updates it still says the next date to check is 9/22.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i'm not sure if anyone else would like this, but i'd like to have the option to double click the volume up button to skip to the next track when the phone is locked and double click the volume down button to go back. unlocking the phone to switch songs is such a pain!

I know something like that would really come in useful for me since i like to hook up my iPhone to my car stereo when im driving and it would make it a lot easier than to wait for a red light or stop sign to skip to the next song. :laugh2:

Breadfan

Sep 14, 2007
I know something like that would really come in useful for me since i like to hook up my iPhone to my car stereo when im driving and it would make it a lot easier than to wait for a red light or stop sign to skip to the next song. :laugh2:
I use mine in the car every day too and something like this would be great.

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Well, since this has become something of a "feature request" thread, I'll put my vote in for:
  • Reminder beeps for missed calls! I'm tired of looking at the phone and going "oh, 12 people have been trying to get in touch with me since the last time I turned this on..."
  • Copy/Paste
  • Map address for a scheduled item's 'Location'
  • Voice dial
  • Live updating for smart playlists
:)

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
8 days till we see the update. we all better accept it. steve said we'd see the update soon in the states, not immediately.

that means he'll wait till the last day in the month to release it.

EDIT: it does appear the last 2 came on tuesdays, so at earliest we'll see it on the 25th.