iPhone Firmware 1.1.4 Imminent?

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
I wouldn't get too excited everyone always gets excited then disappointed when it comes out. to be honest I can see what 1.1.4 plus SDK will offer that jailbreaking doesn't. most of the SDK apps will 99% be availible on jailbreak anyway

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Given how many of the Jailbreak developers seem to be flocking to SDK "legitware," that may not be true much longer.

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
So what does jailbreak do?

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
The features I'm really wanting to see on this phone, will not come via the SDK. I want what most others want. Copy/Paste and MMS. I would be VERY happy with those two features.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
The features I'm really wanting to see on this phone, will not come via the SDK. I want what most others want. Copy/Paste and MMS. I would be VERY happy with those two features.
Dunno about the MMS part, but I've already seen a couple of posts about SDK "seeded" devs working on Copy/Paste widgets. And the guys who make Search for Jailbroken phones already state that their app will go SDK-ware once it's released.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Given how many of the Jailbreak developers seem to be flocking to SDK "legitware," that may not be true much longer.
Rumor has it that 1.1.4 will be jailbreak proof. That remains to be seen, but if enough developers jump it may make jailbreaking less desirable. On the other side, I guess the ones that don't upgrade will still have their jailbroke phones and someone will always be out there to make apps for them.

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
Dunno about the MMS part, but I've already seen a couple of posts about SDK "seeded" devs working on Copy/Paste widgets. And the guys who make Search for Jailbroken phones already state that their app will go SDK-ware once it's released.
If this is true, I will be quite happy. Copy and Paste is needed badly. A widget to do it, we shall see. Either way, I'm looking forward to what the future holds!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I don't really care much about MMS, and I prefer email of texting. However, Copy & Paste is on my list. Video Recording (with audio and a good framerate) is at the top of that list.

- John

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
honestly if we had copy/paste and viewmymessage.com worked properly i could do without MMS even though it's still one of my biggest gripes.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I doubt this. Copy and paste requires the iPhone to be in mode that can interact with live text. Right now that is limited to text boxes and whatnot. It would be tough to trick to turn the whole screen into an edit window.

My money is on this feature needing to come from Apple, or at least be some sort of an OS update and not a simple app or widget.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't consider two or three developers to be "flocking."

--
Mike

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I doubt this. Copy and paste requires the iPhone to be in mode that can interact with live text. Right now that is limited to text boxes and whatnot. It would be tough to trick to turn the whole screen into an edit window.

My money is on this feature needing to come from Apple, or at least be some sort of an OS update and not a simple app or widget.

--
Mike
You could be right about it coming from Apple. But as for implementations, I kinda liked this guys mockup. Pretty simple implementation:

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I want to be able to text a picture. I'm tired of being laughed at by people who have lesser phones that can send pictures. They already think I paid too much money for the phone in the first place, and make jokes whenever they send a pic.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You could be right about it coming from Apple. But as for implementations, I kinda liked this guys mockup. Pretty simple implementation:

Anything is simple in a movie.

Copy and paste isn't just for email. It's needed to grab text from anywhere: web-pages, received SMS, etc. But you can't just "select" any text you want on the iPhone. You can't even access on-screen text unless the iPhone thinks it's editable. This is the major problem, not the simple mechanics of copy-and-paste itself.

--
Mike