iPhone flicking problem.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 21, 2007
Hi guys. Just received my iPhone. I got a slight problem. When i flick, through contacts for instance, the direction is opposite to what i flicked. i.e. i flick down, the contact list scrolls up. Is there anyway to change this setting? Thanks!

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
That's the way it works.

Unlike mouse-based scrolling, where dragging down on a scrollbar goes down, the touch scrolling is following your finger as if you were sliding a piece of paper around.

If you drag a piece of paper down (towards you) on a table, you'll obviously see more of its top. And if you push that same piece of paper up, the bottom appears.

Sep 21, 2007
That's the way it works.

Unlike mouse-based scrolling, where dragging down on a scrollbar goes down, the touch scrolling is following your finger as if you were sliding a piece of paper around.

If you drag a piece of paper down (towards you) on a table, you'll obviously see more of its top. And if you push that same piece of paper up, the bottom appears.
Thanks for that. I was hunting the iPhone for that setting lol. Btw, in the keynote, did Steve flick down to make it go top? I remember differently. I will go check it out again. Love the iPhone so far. Absolutely amazing. Thanks!

Sep 21, 2007
When I flick my finger down it scrolls down...flick up and it goes up..just like Stevo's.

Always has since I got it.
Hmm. Maybe Apple forgot to add in the settings because I prefer Steve's iPhone. Looks like I just got to live with it. Thanks.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Hmm. Maybe Apple forgot to add in the settings because I prefer Steve's iPhone. Looks like I just got to live with it. Thanks.

Soo.. Let me get this straight... when you are in contacts, you are moving your finger from top to bottom and the contacts are going from the bottom to the top? What about other applications? Like the browser?

Does it operate like the iPhone demo's do on the Apple website, or reversed?

I'm just wondering if they hooked up your topuchscreens Y-axis backwards, i have seen this on other touchscreens... if so your unit is defective and it should be returned.

STRANGE!

Sep 21, 2007
Soo.. Let me get this straight... when you are in contacts, you are moving your finger from top to bottom and the contacts are going from the bottom to the top? What about other applications? Like the browser?

Does it operate like the iPhone demo's do on the Apple website, or reversed?

I'm just wondering if they hooked up your topuchscreens Y-axis backwards, i have seen this on other touchscreens... if so your unit is defective and it should be returned.

STRANGE!
Holy s***. yes. When I move from top to bottom, the contacts move from bottom to top. The thing is, many people are having the same problem. For some, it works normally. For others, it works in the opposite manner. I bought mine from a person who imported this from US and he have stated that once sold, its sold. Cant ask for replacement. I am screwed. Furthermore, I am in Singapore. The iPhones release officially only next year.

Iocane

Sep 16, 2007
Holy s***. yes. When I move from top to bottom, the contacts move from bottom to top. The thing is, many people are having the same problem. For some, it works normally. For others, it works in the opposite manner. I bought mine from a person who imported this from US and he have stated that once sold, its sold. Cant ask for replacement. I am screwed. Furthermore, I am in Singapore. The iPhones release officially only next year.
Umm.. That is how it's supposed to work. When you flick your finger from top to bottom, the contacts are supposed to move from bottom to top. Just like the person mention before, imagine sliding a piece of paper around.

Sep 21, 2007
Umm.. That is how it's supposed to work. When you flick your finger from top to bottom, the contacts are supposed to move from bottom to top. Just like the person mention before, imagine sliding a piece of paper around.
Why is it that for some people its like that and for others, its different?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If you flick on the right side of the screen instead of the middle it will do this.

Like someone said it's supposed to be like a piece of paper you flick around in a viewing area.

chzxmnky

Sep 17, 2007
I never really thought about it, but flicking manipulates the object you're viewing. Unlike using a mouse, where scrolling the side bar manipulates your view of the object. Scrolling down with a mouse is like scanning down a piece of paper with your eyes. Flicking down something like your contacts page is like keeping your eyes stationary and manually dragging the piece of paper down. I hope this made sense to some of you, otherwise I'm embarrassed. Haha.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
It's the same thing as when you're scrolling in Safari... the "paper" follows your fingertip just as if you pressed down on a piece on your desk, and slid it around.

Only in Contacts, you're limited to one dimension of movement, and we're used to mice, so it's not as obvious.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I think this thread is all about miscommunication. "Scroll up" and "scroll down" are just confusing the matter. Just like the rest of the iPhone, the contacts follow the motion of your finger (sliding your finger down, makes the contacts go down). If F is at the top of my screen and i touch it and swipe down, F moves toward the bottom of the screen.

You could see where people would say the contacts are "scrolling down". But, if you were on a website and wanted to achieve the same thing, some might say you are scrolling up on the page. To make things more confusing, if you click the right side of the contacts(near the small letters) and then slide your finger, the reverse motion is noticed. Sliding your figer up makes the contacts slide down.

I would say that it is very unlikely that we are having different experiences...