iPhone FM transmitter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
Are there any FM transmitters made just for the iPhone that allow you to play your music through your car speakers? Or has anyone tried using the iPod ones with the iPhone? How does it work?

Last edited by a moderator:

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
yes i heard that the DLO was a good one, i haven't had the chance to get it yet. I am currently using a Belkin unit. (forgot model) And there is some interferences but not that bad compared to the other ones i have tired

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Kensington FM Transmitter

Are there any FM trasmitters made just for the iPhone that allow you to play your music through your car speakers? Or has anyone tried using the iPod ones with the iPhone? How does it work?
The Apple Store,here in Phoenix,Az sold me a Kensington tramsmitter. It
works great. It charges and receives phone calls while playing without any problems. When it first starts up it will tell you it is not compatible, but if you select "no" with airplane mode, it works fine. You used to have to plug it in each time you started your car, but with the recent iPhone software upgrade
you no longer need to do this.

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
It's a Kensington model 33185 Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger
Recommended EQ setting for best sound:
To fix the "broken sound" problem, you must go to your iPod's menu->setting->EQ, select "treble reducer" or "small speaker. And then adjust your car’s audio accordingly.

callatis

Oct 8, 2007
I was so happy I saw this post. I went to DLO's web site and I ordered it right away. It took at least 10 days to come, but finally I got the much-desired package. I took it as soon as it arrived and tried it on. At first I thought I'm doing something wrong, but then I realized that it's what it's always going to sound like: with a strong background noise and about 50% of the normal volume of the radio. I hooked up my wife's Nano and the sound started resembling digital quality. I tried the iPhone through the aux jack of the transmitter, and no difference from when going through the charger input. When I put a podcast on and I'm on a freeway, I can't even understand what they're saying. I tried it in my other car, and in different regions of the Bay Area and it made no difference. While I was trying to give it a chance, you know, "maybe it's me that I'm too picky", my wife rejected it right away - "you can't listen to anything with this", she said, and pulled it out immediately.

In conclusion, it's the iPhone that just doesn't work properly with this. I don't know how it's worked for you, really. It's a $60 charger, that's all, and it's going back to DLO. :(

callatis

Oct 8, 2007
Monster equally bad

---------------------------------------
I was so happy I saw this post. I went to DLO's web site and I ordered it right away. It took at least 10 days to come, but finally I got the much-desired package. I took it as soon as it arrived and tried it on. At first I thought I'm doing something wrong, but then I realized that it's what it's always going to sound like: with a strong background noise and about 50% of the normal volume of the radio. I hooked up my wife's Nano and the sound started resembling digital quality. I tried the iPhone through the aux jack of the transmitter, and no difference from when going through the charger input. When I put a podcast on and I'm on a freeway, I can't even understand what they're saying. I tried it in my other car, and in different regions of the Bay Area and it made no difference. While I was trying to give it a chance, you know, "maybe it's me that I'm too picky", my wife rejected it right away - "you can't listen to anything with this", she said, and pulled it out immediately.

In conclusion, it's the iPhone that just doesn't work properly with this. I don't know how it's worked for you, really. It's a $60 charger, that's all, and it's going back to DLO. :(
Seeing my bad luck with the DLO one, I went to RadioShack and I got a regular transmitter - i.e. one with normal audio 3.5 mm input, that is. I hooked up through the headset adapter, of course. Sound was much stronger, almost as strong as a normal radio station, but so garbled that you can't tell what they're saying on the podcast even though the volume is so loud that you can hear from two cars away. I'm just about giving up on FM transmitter for my iPhone - I can't believe it, you spend $400 (poor guys that spent $600!) for something that does music, maps, stocks, telephone, PDA, and has a full browser, but you can't stream the darn thing to an FM transmitter - 5 years old technology. It's like having a car that only goes on freeways or something.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I'm not sure there is ever going to be a good solution for this. The problem isn't the transmitters, it's the iPhone. Even my Samsung and Treo will cause feedback through computer speakers and my car stereo occasionally. The iPhone is just more pronounced. In my car with the iPhone in its holster I can pick it up a second before it rings or a text comes through because I can hear it start communicating with the tower on my car speakers before it starts ringing.
I'm afraid only putting it in airplane mode is what is going to make listening to it in a car acceptable.

callatis

Oct 8, 2007
It seems I forgot to mention something EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: I'm only talking about my experience with my iPhone IN AIRPLANE MODE. As I mentioned earlier, the sound coming from both the DLO Transdock and the Monster is unusable. When I turn the airplane mode off, the sound doesn't really degrade any more, it's just some additional interferences that happen every once in a while when the phone communicates with the antennas. I know about the interference, but why the iPhone sounds so much worse than the iPod even with these off, beats me. I would be fine with the airplane mode on, at least in my commute car for my ride to work.

Bottom line is: if you care at least a bit about the quality of the music coming out of this setup, both FM transmitters are a toss-off. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for an "iphone-certified" one - at least that's what I'm going to do.

ckphoto

Jul 6, 2007
I got the Kennsington in today from the Apple store because multiple people said they had good luck with it. I drove 40 miles to work through North West Jersey and got mild interference (low static noise) twice that lasted about 10 seconds max. I am at this point very happy with the unit and if anything changes I will be sure to post. FYI I did not use airplane mode

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Well the point is sort of to be able to use this with the airplane mode off. That way I can still actually get phonecalls while listening. My DLO Transdock works great with the airplane mode on, but then of course I can't receive phonecalls. Again I'm not sure a transmitter can be developed that shields the iPhone signal enough to prevent the communication noise coming through the car speakers.

buttsecks

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
my sister has the DLO fm transmitter that the OP posted. she uses it with her ipod and her iPhone no problem. i have used it myself on many occasions. she drives me to my school sometimes (about an hour drive) down the jersey turnpike and i have my iPhone hooked up and playing music the whole time with no problem. i have no complaints with this device and my sister has no problem with it either. just my expierence with it.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Just realized I was mistaking you for another poster and that you ARE having good luck with the TransMicro still with the phone on. Gonna order one right away!

callatis

Oct 8, 2007
Could any of the pleased DLO TransDock Micro owners be a bit more specific with "it works" - I'm trying to identify if there is a problem with my iPhone, I'm just too picky etc.

So what I'm trying to find out is if you get any background noise (especially if it's more when compared to an iPod or standard MP3 player through the AUX input), and if the volume is comparable with a regular radio station's. Again, mine is about 50-70% as loud, and there's about 20% background noise (these are estimates, of course).

Sep 28, 2007
In my truck I used the Dlo transdock micro. I found it to have a lot of static when I used the fm transmitter to stereo. Here is how I am useing it now.

Alpine deck .....ai-net rca cable..... dlo aux out.

There is a aux in and out on the bottom of the dlo so I just bypass the fm transmitter part.

still had to much noise from the cig lighter power. I thought it needs better noise filter on its power supply.

So I unplugged the dlo and it still lets sound through but no charging. Witch works for me.

now I watch movies at lunch and all the sound comes through my stereo aux in with no static at all.

I would of just used the ai-net ipod controller but It did not have the ability to switch from albums to the movies part of the iPhone.