iPhone for GSM or CDMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

artp01

Oct 4, 2006
www.teenhut.net
Everyone is curious whether iPhone will be for GSM environment or CDMA or for more advanced 3G network. I think it will be now for GSM and later in CDMA also for countries where CDMA is popular.

joel

Nov 6, 2006
www.teenhut.net
It has alreay been talked upon that iPhone will be carrier specific. But now I feel it will be GSM only and may be later it will be for CDMA also. This is a step in the right direction, because by then the market reacion will be clear.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Now that we know it will be GSM since it's coming from At&T, it will indeed be interesting to see just how long it stays exclusive to At&T.

Hopefully the demand will be so strong that the also let T-Mobile have it. That way it will be a lot easier for those already with T-Mo to obtain an iPhone without have to switch carriers.

The cost of moving from one carrier to the next can be quite high with the ETF (early termination fee) fees and all.

Time will tell.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Now that we know it will be GSM since it's coming from At&T, it will indeed be interesting to see just how long it stays exclusive to At&T.

Hopefully the demand will be so strong that the also let T-Mobile have it. That way it will be a lot easier for those already with T-Mo to obtain an iPhone without have to switch carriers.

The cost of moving from one carrier to the next can be quite high with the ETF (early termination fee) fees and all.

Time will tell.
I wouldn't count on T-Mo getting it any time soon. AT&T has said many times that it has a multi-year exclusive agreement with Apple. At best that means that T-Mo won't get it for at least 2 years.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
I wouldn't count on T-Mo getting it any time soon. AT&T has said many times that it has a multi-year exclusive agreement with Apple. At best that means that T-Mo won't get it for at least 2 years.
You are so right, as now that you've mentioned it, I do remember that the AT&T exclusive is for two years, with an option to renew.

Fortunately I'm already with AT&T so it's a non-issue for me, it's the others that will have to make a "bigger" decision if they are willing to pay the price to move from their current service provider to AT&T.

Furthermore its quite positive that AT&T was chosen since Apple decided on releasing it through just one carrier, as they have the biggest subscriber base and the most resources to promote the phone.

Cheers

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't see CDMA for a while. With the rest of the world using mainly GSM, it'll be a long time before Apple ventures into CDMA for Sprint and Verizon customers only.