iPhone for Tilt trade

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
Someone came into my AT&T location and was looking to get an iPhone because he was having doubts about his Tilt. I for one know the tilt is probably going to suit me better but I want to hear everyone elses input on it. 8GB iPhone or AT&T Tilt? I'm leaning towards trading my iPhone tonight. A few things i'm looking forward to on the Tilt and bigest reason for me questioning this would have to be that my apartment is right in the middle of a 3G area here in Raleigh, so 3G def. blows my EDGE phone away. The full keyboard that I miss so much of on my Blackberry, and the MMS which I know can be fixed with the release of the SDK, and the terrible call quality (my face always hits the mute portion of the screen and i'm constantly losing people because of it) which is real annoying. The things i'll miss on my iPhone is the simple syncing of music and using it as my mp3 player and thats about it. But being that they might come out with a 3G version of the iPhone this summer it might not be a bad idea for me to trade it off now and if I want buy the 3G version if I miss it enough. Anyone else have input on this ? Let me hear it.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Making a choice between two very different devices is not easy. You are already attacking the problem by weighing the pros and cons. In the end, you will have to decide whether your intended usage fits the particular phone you have: e.g., you live in a 3g area. If you truly need or rely on 3g and can't tolerate EDGE, the iPhone may not be for you. If you text a lot, and can't seem to get the feel for the iPhone's onscreen keyboard, the iPhone may not be for you.

I've heard this recommendation several times from different cell phone podcasts. Try the iPhone out. You will have about 14 days for a trial. If at the end you find that the iPhone is not for you, turn it back in. You will end up paying a restocking fee, but at least you will have the peace of mind in knowing that you made an informed decision.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
Well i've had the iPhone since October and these pros and cons stem from me using it for the past 6 months. So they are pretty solid tested reasons in my eyes.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Go with the tilt, you'll be back in June anyways....hehehe:p

H

Hayesimus

how are you muting people or whatever? the screen goes dark! or are you refering to the tilt? lol

H

Hayesimus

oh my operator had a tilt. HAD until he dropped it the other morning. Broke the screen and all he could do was answer a call. I was like dang. That's lucky. If we dropped ours and cracked the screen, all we'd be able to do is silence the call. lol

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Well i've had the iPhone since October and these pros and cons stem from me using it for the past 6 months. So they are pretty solid tested reasons in my eyes.
I can certainly understand you wanting a 3G device. I'm not sure about the surfing experience on the tilt though. Either way, with the network in your area, you'll want a 3G iPhone this summer anyway.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Despite the 3G..you'll not have near the Internet surfing experience you'd have in the iPhone in general, and the tilt speeds in Internet surfing are negligably faster than the iPhone.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
So many myths out there. Here's a real world test using a 3G Tilt and the Opera browser (instead of Pocket IE) versus an iPhone. The Tilt is up to four times faster:

http://www.pocketables.net/2007/12/mobile-web-spee.html

And that's using Opera 8.65. When 9.5 hits, it'll be even faster. And should work with FlashLite 3.

Or use some of the other browsers, like Skyfire, and use many Flash sites now.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
the IE vs Safari Edge results is exactly what I've found (had tytn and tilt)...but really since you don't have to scroll on the iPhone, getting to anywhere on the pages is way faster, so the surfing experience is significantly faster with the iPhone..vs tilt with 3G.
I've used Opera quite a bit although its been a while... Didn't like the page rendering at all vs the iPhone....loading pages was fast on opera no doubt, but the subsequent scrolling required, vs iPhone, again wouldn't have me choose tilt opera with 3G vs edge iPhone either.
Tell you what..3G on the iPhone will be sometime else!

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Tell you what..3G on the iPhone will be sometime else!
Yes, it will be nice.

What's ironic, is that a lot of people have (mis)spent a whole year trying to come up with apologetic and bogus reasons why EDGE is as good as 3G... all because it didn't come with it at first.

So now what? Has Apple screwed themselves in sales a bit by letting people convince themselves that buying 3G isn't worth it?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, it will be nice.

What's ironic, is that a lot of people have (mis)spent a whole year trying to come up with apologetic and bogus reasons why EDGE is as good as 3G... all because it didn't come with it at first.

So now what? Has Apple screwed themselves in sales a bit by letting people convince themselves that buying 3G isn't worth it?
The only real world comparison I have had was EDGE (ATT) vs EVDO (Sprint) and in the long run, I couldn't get with the slowness of EDGE. While many act like the ONLY phone that can meet needs is the iphone- I have to say, it didn't for me.

Even though the iPhone displays webpages in all its glory, I need everything to work and work well. My phone usage isn't primarily internet.

Mail that cant be downloaded from server is one pain I also couldn't tolerate. When I am at work, I need all my mail, not just what the iPhone thinks I should be able to read. Funny I never encountered that issue on any phone but the iPhone.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
you shouldnt be muting.. The touch goes off when its on a call

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
I have the same muting problem every now and then.

I think its because I use the DLO action jacket, which mine was actually designed for the iPod touch, since I couldn't find the iPhone version sold in any store near me, but it blocks the proximity and brightness sensors.

So occasionally, the mute goes on by the slightest touch of my cheek.

Not a big deal, but I understand what he's saying.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston

I think its because I use the DLO action jacket, which mine was actually designed for the iPod touch, since I couldn't find the iPhone version sold in any store near me, but it blocks the proximity and brightness sensors.

that is senseless. you use an iPhone with an iPod accessory and complain it doesn't work well?

go to the nearest Apple store, and get an invisible shield.

Apple wants you to.

and it is beautiful.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Is wifi an option in your appartment/work. I find I spend most my time using wifi and speed is not an issue then?

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
that is senseless. you use an iPhone with an iPod accessory and complain it doesn't work well?

go to the nearest Apple store, and get an invisible shield.

Apple wants you to.

and it is beautiful.
ACTUALLY, I was not the one complaining about the problem. I know exactly what product I bought, and what problems may arise from not using it with the specific product it was made for.

The OP had made the complaint:
....and the terrible call quality (my face always hits the mute portion of the screen and i'm constantly losing people because of it) which is real annoying....
And then there were two other incidents where other posters replied trying to figure out why the OP was having this issue:
how are you muting people or whatever? the screen goes dark! or are you refering to the tilt? lol
and:
you shouldnt be muting.. The touch goes off when its on a call
SO, since the OP had not come back to reply to those questions, I decided to go ahead and explain to them the issue with the calls muting.

HENCE why I said:

To describe to the posters asking the question about muting, what may have occurred.

In no way was I actually complianing about the DLO Action Jacket for iPod touch that I have, I was MERELY elaborating so they could understand.

So no, that actually was not a senseless comment, and I was not complaining that it did not work well, because in fact, I actually love the case I have for it and it fits my needs perfectly.

GG, and better luck next time :cool:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
ACTUALLY, I was not the one complaining about the problem. I know exactly what product I bought, and what problems may arise from not using it with the specific product it was made for.

The OP had made the complaint:

And then there were two other incidents where other posters replied trying to figure out why the OP was having this issue:

and:

SO, since the OP had not come back to reply to those questions, I decided to go ahead and explain to them the issue with the calls muting.

HENCE why I said:

To describe to the posters asking the question about muting, what may have occurred.

In no way was I actually complianing about the DLO Action Jacket for iPod touch that I have, I was MERELY elaborating so they could understand.

So no, that actually was not a senseless comment, and I was not complaining that it did not work well, because in fact, I actually love the case I have for it and it fits my needs perfectly.

GG, and better luck next time :cool:
ok, ok, Jesus, no need to force it..

H

Hayesimus

haha. noob. with almost 2000 posts. lol