iPhone Freeze Up ... Please Help !

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Hi, I'm not by any means a newb to the iPhone and was one of the first in the UK to get one and Jailbreak/Unlock etc. I was just doing the usual SSH into my 2g 1st Gen iPhone to rplace some ringtones etc, something I've done loads ... only this time I noticed the screen had frozen during the session so I went to do a hard restart but it wont start up at all now !

I can get my silver Apple logo up & even the startup sphere appears but they are merged together like its in slow motion. Thats as far as it gets and it wont start.

Will I have to start again and re-unlock etc or just restore from iTunes.

I've been using FW 1.1.4 which I find great but if I have to reinstall everything I may as well opt for the latest FW. What is the latest one for a 1st Gen phone? I've head bad things about 2.0 on 2g iPhones.

Thanks in advance :(

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Thanks patrick. Is 2.2 ok unlock & have you got a link for the correct version?

Thanks

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm pretty sure the latest 'yellowsn0w' package from the Dev Team will unlock 2.2 (in fact, requires it). iTunes should find latest version for you ...

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
At the moment I cant even get the phone to show up on iTunes or my mac !

I've got a bad feeling about this one :sick:

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
I'm now able to get the recovery screen up & it is recognized by iTunes.

Is there a way of restoring this without losong everything I have on the phone ?

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
I'm back ! ... Lost everything but I'm back al the same :cool:

Restored to the 1.1.4 restore file I already had & wacked it through ZiPhone but now I'm gonna give the 2.2 firmware upgrade & unlock a go :eek:

Does anyone know if the new version of ZiPhone will unlock 2.2 ?

Gav

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I'm back ! ... Lost everything but I'm back al the same :cool:

Restored to the 1.1.4 restore file I already had & wacked it through ZiPhone but now I'm gonna give the 2.2 firmware upgrade & unlock a go :eek:

Does anyone know if the new version of ZiPhone will unlock 2.2 ?

Gav
don't think so, and ive heard that people should stay away from ziPhone for whatever reason.

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
don't think so, and ive heard that people should stay away from ziPhone for whatever reason.
Hmmm, thanks for the reply, not sure why people need to stay away from ZiPhone ... its been brill for me, but only ever used from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 and now again for the 1.1.4 restore and worked great again.

I'll give it a go on 2.2 and post the findings on here. Cheers

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hmmm, thanks for the reply, not sure why people need to stay away from ZiPhone ... its been brill for me, but only ever used from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 and now again for the 1.1.4 restore and worked great again.

I'll give it a go on 2.2 and post the findings on here. Cheers
I think Ezekiel's right. Think Zibri has not updated ZiPhone since the 1.x days, and has nothing for latest firmware. Check this post at his blog for example - he's selling the domain / site.

I'd stick to Pwnage / Winpwn if you're moving up to 2.2 and need to JB and / or unlock ...

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Ok, I've just successfuly restored my iPhone to firmware version 2.2 using no software what so ever apart from iTunes.

Go here : http://www.sizlopedia.com/2008/11/25/unlock-iphone-22-firmware/

restore to this 2.2 file through iTunes and your phone does the rest. I'm not on the iPhone contract & have no intention of going on it either & this works 100% as I've tested it throughout the evening. Cheers

Gav :cool:

Gavo

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Liverpool
Not sure why, but the phone seems to freeze up again after a while, but the difference is this time I juts have to press home & reset button and it goes back to the unlock screen !
Since doing the upgrade I've installed various apps from the AppStore via my iPhone which I've heard can cause some probs.
I had it on charge through the night & it didn't lock out but now it is :sick:

Anyone with similar experience ?