iPhone Frotz help?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sickmunkeyz

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I installed iPhone frotz and i cant seem to get any games to run on it. i got curses.z3 and don't know how to get it to run.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Same problem for me. I added a new directory:
var\root\Library\Frotz\Games
and placed the story files here and then did the magical CHMOD on the directories and the game files. I have 2 story files one with .z3 and one with .z5 but the Frotz application simply indicates no story files present.

I suspect the directory created is somehow the problem.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yep and as indicated in another thread if using the latest version of Frotz games need to go here:
var\root\Media\Frotz\Games

Execute permission isn't needed on the .z* files, BTW (won't hurt though).

--
Mike

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Yep and as indicated in another thread if using the latest version of Frotz games need to go here:
var\root\Media\Frotz\Games

Execute permission isn't needed on the .z* files, BTW (won't hurt though).

--
Mike
I did finally get it working. Thanks for the help. If you go to uninstall, Frotz appears in the list and you can select it and get MORE information on the application. There is a link to the applications instructions for the latest version. Nice installer feature. I did not know it was there. This is where the actual directory path to create can be found.

Kiwi108

Mar 28, 2008
Hi, new here ^.^

I keep getting the message "No Story Files Found".

I have made the directories, and they are all in the right place, but it still wont find them.
I even tried installing the pack available on the installer, but still no luck.

wondering if anyone could help me out?
Thanks =D

Kiwi108

Mar 28, 2008
Thank you very much for the reply.

I'm looking through your sources, but i cant find a fix for frotz.

I added your source to my installer, and im looking under fight club, but i don't see a fix for it.

sorry if asking a stupidly obvious question >.<

CanSpec

Bronze
Mar 5, 2008

I added your source to my installer, and im looking under fight club, but i don't see a fix for it.

I can find the fix but not the app frotz?:(

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007

Have a look for

FIX: Frotz Saves

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I should mention that I saw the save state fix, but I installed it and it didn't solve the problem >.<
What seems to be the problem exactly? Frotz loads should load just fine on 1.1.4, its just saving your data it has a problem with.

Kiwi108

Mar 28, 2008
yeah, my frotz never shows any stories to begin with.
When I load it up it says that there are no stories in the folder, even though there is. I tried installing the pack on the installer, and the one you have, as well as adding a few manuely. But no matter what I do I cant get it to detect any stories.

I read afew cases about this, but have found no solution so I thought someone here might have a few ideas on what to do.

I have stories in the folder that they should be in, and tried putting it in other places too.

Thanks for all your responses by the way =D

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
yeah, my frotz never shows any stories to begin with.
When I load it up it says that there are no stories in the folder, even though there is. I tried installing the pack on the installer, and the one you have, as well as adding a few manuely. But no matter what I do I cant get it to detect any stories.

I read afew cases about this, but have found no solution so I thought someone here might have a few ideas on what to do.

I have stories in the folder that they should be in, and tried putting it in other places too.

Thanks for all your responses by the way =D
I think the problem may be a permissions issue. My Frotz is finding the stories located in /var/root/Media/Frotz/Games just fine, but I've set my permissions on /var/root to allow users other than root to read and write to any files/folders inside it.

I can update my Frotz fix to /chmod -R 777 /var/root/Media/Frotz if it detects that folder if you're unable to do this yourself through the Terminal.

Kiwi108

Mar 28, 2008
Scrap that, I did it =P

I just messed abit with the permissions until it worked.

Thank you so much for your help, I couldn't have done it without you. you really are an iPhone wizz =P

Although you may want to make a fix available for other people, while its not a very common error, I have found cases of it, but no solution until now.

Again thank you for all your help =D

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Scrap that, I did it =P

I just messed abit with the permissions until it worked.

Thank you so much for your help, I couldn't have done it without you. you really are an iPhone wizz =P

Although you may want to make a fix available for other people, while its not a very common error, I have found cases of it, but no solution until now.

Again thank you for all your help =D
No problem, mind sharing which folders you changed permissions on?

Kiwi108

Mar 28, 2008
sure, I tried changing the frotz folder first, that did nothing.
Then I think it was the roots folder itself I altered and that did it. That or the media folder.