iPhone Future Widgets

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

WolfmanXII

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
California
What widgets would you guys like to see in the near future for the iPhone because I guarantee that some will come out soon. I'm just curious to what helpful and crazy ideas the forum could come up with.

joolee

Jun 30, 2007
I'm all for games!

What widgets would you guys like to see in the near future for the iPhone because I guarantee that some will come out soon. I'm just curious to what helpful and crazy ideas the forum could come up with.
I want to be able to play skill games against other people over the internet. I'm developing a site for a game, and I'd like for it to be able to be played over the iPhone.

Lauriekg

Jul 1, 2007
Password widget

I would like to see a pasword widget where I can store my passwords and important information, just like splash ID. If anyone finds such an app, please let me know.
Laurie

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
I wish...

I would like to be able to create and edit notes in iTunes so that I don't have to enter whole song lyrics and guitar tabs letter by letter. It's totally handy to have a whole set's information (along with song length) when planning a gig.

I also really hate not being able to have my iCal categories on my phone too.

WolfmanXII

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
California
I want to be able to play skill games against other people over the internet. I'm developing a site for a game, and I'd like for it to be able to be played over the iPhone.
I was wondering about this before I had bought the phone. Due to the wifi and bluetooth capabilities, I would think that it wouldn't be too difficult to create games after the first one is made. Good luck with your project and be sure to let EI know when it is finished.

kidapollo

Jul 1, 2007
My dream widgets

Movie times by zip code,
subway maps of big cities.
Something to tell my TiVo
what to record if I'm busy.
A calorie counter to help dieting.
Widgets I'd count among my favorite things!

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Some way to read eBooks on the iPhone. This is something I've been able to do on every Smartphone I've owned. Right now I have a Motorola Q and use iSilo to read eBooks. Surely there is some way to do this on the iPhone.

joolee

Jun 30, 2007
Will definitely let you know!

I was wondering about this before I had bought the phone. Due to the wifi and bluetooth capabilities, I would think that it wouldn't be too difficult to create games after the first one is made. Good luck with your project and be sure to let EI know when it is finished.
The main thing I need to overcome at this point is exactly what you can and can't do with AJAX to make a game that can be played by two people. The Mac client of the game has a built-in chat feature, and I know someone was able to hack a way to do AIM chat using their own server in between the iPhone and the AIM service. So it's gotta be doable.

Survivor61

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I am very happy here so far, just want some kinda to-do list and a chat client, then ill be good ..... for awhile :) hehe

iPhool

Jun 6, 2007
ipheed.com
The main thing I need to overcome at this point is exactly what you can and can't do with AJAX to make a game that can be played by two people. The Mac client of the game has a built-in chat feature, and I know someone was able to hack a way to do AIM chat using their own server in between the iPhone and the AIM service. So it's gotta be doable.
You might already know about this, but just in case you don't, there's a good discussion over at the iPhonewebdev group about what the browser is capable of. (regarding AJAX and javascript)
http://groups.google.com/group/iPhonewebdev

(and my vote is for a poker app)

Jun 28, 2007
Lots of things, but MAINLY AN INTERNAL TEXT SEARCH -- ESP W/CONTACTS!

#1,2,3,4,5,6: A search function! Mainly for contacts, but also for the whole phone. What if I forget someone's last name? (and yes, I know I can switch all contacts to sort by first name instead of last, but god, what a pain in the a** -- sometimes I remember first, sometimes last, sometimes neither -- just a city, a company or something I wrote in the note like 'met in iPhone line'). So say I want to search who I know at a particular company? Or by city, area code etc. etc. There is no way to do that right now unless I know their last name. Currently I have my iPhone in one pocket and my fast-fading Treo in the other so I can ACTUALLY FIND the people whose last names don't spring to mind. This would also useful for searching notes and calendar. If not fixed fast, this feature alone could send me off the iPhone.

#7 Cut & paste. Duh! Didn't Apple invent this?

#8 An attachment saver so I can download or save word docs, pdfs, jpegs etc. I find the mail program slow and quirky and it freezes a lot, so i'd hate to have to go there every time to some ancient saved email just to view a doc.

Other items would be either add-ons to existing programs or alternate programs I could use instead if Apple doesn't update. They are:

1. A calendar notification option for my own time period in minutes, hours, days, weeks or months. Like on Treo.

2. Categorization (& sorting) of contacts. Like on Treo.

3. Currently cannot edit a contact while talking on the phone (how dumb is that? Isn't that often how updated contact info is procured?) -- fix, please...

4. Checkmark, drag & drop, highlight & delete and strikethrough options in Notes.

I know I sound bitter in this post. I do love the thing. But we're hardest on those we love most, no?

WolfmanXII

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
California
i think a really cool widget would be for you to put your iPhone down next to your keyboard and use it s a virtual mouse. i doubt it will happen but that would be pretty cool.

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i think a really cool widget would be for you to put your iPhone down next to your keyboard and use it s a virtual mouse. i doubt it will happen but that would be pretty cool.
This does sound cool. I would love that, but I really don't see it happening.

srleadjb

Jul 3, 2007
#1,2,3,4,5,6: A search function! Mainly for contacts, but also for the whole phone. What if I forget someone's last name? (and yes, I know I can switch all contacts to sort by first name instead of last, but god, what a pain in the a** -- sometimes I remember first, sometimes last, sometimes neither -- just a city, a company or something I wrote in the note like 'met in iPhone line'). So say I want to search who I know at a particular company? Or by city, area code etc. etc. There is no way to do that right now unless I know their last name. Currently I have my iPhone in one pocket and my fast-fading Treo in the other so I can ACTUALLY FIND the people whose last names don't spring to mind. This would also useful for searching notes and calendar. If not fixed fast, this feature alone could send me off the iPhone.

#7 Cut & paste. Duh! Didn't Apple invent this?

#8 An attachment saver so I can download or save word docs, pdfs, jpegs etc. I find the mail program slow and quirky and it freezes a lot, so i'd hate to have to go there every time to some ancient saved email just to view a doc.

Other items would be either add-ons to existing programs or alternate programs I could use instead if Apple doesn't update. They are:

1. A calendar notification option for my own time period in minutes, hours, days, weeks or months. Like on Treo.

2. Categorization (& sorting) of contacts. Like on Treo.

3. Currently cannot edit a contact while talking on the phone (how dumb is that? Isn't that often how updated contact info is procured?) -- fix, please...

4. Checkmark, drag & drop, highlight & delete and strikethrough options in Notes.

I know I sound bitter in this post. I do love the thing. But we're hardest on those we love most, no?
I second the above! Plus we need basic apps that most smartphone users have become use to. Like to-do list with completed strike out or check mark feature. In addition to contact search function there needs to be contact categories. And calendar categories. And if I cant have immediate push email then let the program check for email at least every 5 minutes, 1 minute would be better. MMS is a must. And a widget application would be nice. This phone is amazing but I cant believe Apple would leave out such basic functions.

ckinyc

Jul 3, 2007
Expense tracking

Something I can track my businesss expenses and sync back to the main app like Excel, Quickbook etc on my Mac.

contempt

Jul 4, 2007
Brooklyn
I second having SplashID

I love SplashID. And when I got my blackberry, had to wait almost a year for them to develop it for it. I just hope they develop it for the iPhone much faster. Plus, port over SplashMoney.