iPhone gave me a scare yesterday...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
So there i was on my way to Kansas city (for the first time, mind you) to see Porcupine Tree (great band - check em out!). I had my whole itinerary mapped out on my phone, along with the contact info for the venue, and the people i was meeting there. No paper maps or address books whatsoever. As i was rocking out to a random shuffle of songs (not 30 minutes into my journey) - silence. Now, this is nothing new to me (ipod crashes while using safari all the time), so i check it out, and the iPhone is OFF! Not asleep. OFF. Ok, so it shut itself off, no biggie, just turn it back on... it won't turn on! Surely, i thought, i must not be pressing the button hard enough or maybe my Agent18 case is preventing me from pushing it in properly... no, after a minute or two of fiddling still nothing. Then i tried unplugging my car charger, and plugging it back in... nothing. And lastly i tried the only other thing i could think of: hard reset. So i held both buttons down for what seemed like an eternity (much longer than any other time i have had to do this), and FINALLY an Apple logo. It took a couple minutes to boot up again, but it has been fine since this little incident.

scared me to death though... not only would i have lost all my maps and entertainment for the ride, but my PHONE! Could NOT have been at a worse time...

has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Earlier that day i purchased a monster mini-jack cable at the Apple store (huge ripoff for $20, but i was in a hurry, and it was on my way) so i could plug my phone in to the line-in in my car for the ride. I also have
an Xtreme mac car charger, and both of these were plugged in. I have been using the car charger for a few weeks without ANY problems, and the audio cable should have nothing to do with the phone shutting itself off... not to mention i had the same configuration running fine for the rest of the trip...

so i'm thinking (hoping) it was just a freak thing...

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Some car chargers ask that you put the phone into airplane mode for some reason. So, I invested in a simple 12v transformer for my SUV's cigarette lighter. I plug the iPhone's stock wall charger that instead when I'm trips.

I feel safer this way, and my iPhone works more reliably. I'm in a car, not an airplane :T

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i've not had the airplane mode problem with my charger at all. Up until yesterday the charger and iPhone had been working perfectly together. I still don't even know if the problem was CAUSED by the charger... probably never will.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My iPhone has powered down or reset on its own a few times since I bought it. I felt the same way because it left me with nothing. No music, phone, internet, email..............nothing. I did the reset nad it cleared itself just fine. works for days and then.................................

Anyway, I hope that the next revision will address this.