iPhone & Gmail

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
While I love my mail to death and just doing a manual update, it seems to only check the "Inbox" for new messages. My Gmail gets filtered to like 20 label groups and skips the inbox 90% of the time. Is there anyway for it to check all labels for new mail and place a number of new mail label like in Gmail?

Screenshot attached, this is after manually going into the label/folder to check for new mail.

Attachments

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
That's a good question. I don't do that with my GMail so I don't have that situation. Have you tried configuring it for IMAP mode?

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Which other mode is there? Under settings and mail, how do you differentiate?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Use IMAP and you will see all your folders.

Set-up a new email account by choosing 'other'

host name: imap.gmail.com
username: youraddress@gmail.com
password: yourpassword
SMTP: smtp.gmail.com

click advanced.

Turn SSL On
Auth: password
IMAP prefix: leave blank
Server Port: 993

After you have this set-up you can delete your other gmail set-up.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm pretty sure Gmail gets set up as IMAP by default using the account template on the iPhone since... 1.1.3? Maybe 1.1.4.

And I don't use them, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Gmail's labels didn't map correctly using IMAP? Again, I could be wrong. I only use the inbox.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
configuring your gmail using imap will allow you to access all your folders.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure Gmail gets set up as IMAP by default using the account template on the iPhone since... 1.1.3? Maybe 1.1.4.

And I don't use them, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Gmail's labels didn't map correctly using IMAP? Again, I could be wrong. I only use the inbox.
yeah you're correct IMAP is the default setting. You shouldn't have to use 'other'

Settings>mail>new acount> gmail> name email address and password

ricecycle

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Anyone know how to set up hotmail account?

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Sorry, maybe some have not read the questions correctly. If you look at my screen shot... I have all the folders listed (this isn't the issue). The problem is when you press mail and gets new E-mails, it only checks the INBOX, but not the rest of the 'folders'

Solutions?

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
While I love my mail to death and just doing a manual update, it seems to only check the "Inbox" for new messages. My Gmail gets filtered to like 20 label groups and skips the inbox 90% of the time. Is there anyway for it to check all labels for new mail and place a number of new mail label like in Gmail?

Screenshot attached, this is after manually going into the label/folder to check for new mail.
It doesn't always seem to behave in the same way in my experience. Sometimes it downloads mail into multiple folders (labels), but usually it only gives me the ones that go in the folder I'm currently in. This predates 2.0 and 3G, so it's nothing new. If you have bunches of labels and don't want to go through each one, try just checking the "all mail" folder (though I'm thinking this may show your sent messages also).

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
The only work around for this pain in the rear issue is to do what kisstine has suggested: use the All Mail option. I, also, use labels in gMail and the only other way to download new messages in folders other than the Inbox is to click on them individually. Using All Mail will open new messages in other labels but initially it will download every email that is saved in each label which is quite time consuming.