iPhone Google is stuck in mobile mode?

united7

Oct 19, 2007
my iPhone is stuck in mobile google when i try to go to google.com. anytime i go to the bottom to choose "to view in classic" it will not let me. the only time it lets me search in classic google is when i press the web page box to type an address and the quick google search underneath allows me to search in the classic google style. i recently reset my phone, is there something that i need to switch back?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
/Crosses fingers for a Safari browser ID spoofer

You can set your Browser ID in Netfront for the PocketPC, which is something I thought would have become a standard by now...

Oh well, I couldn't do that pinchy thing on my pocketPC to zoom so I guess it all evens out in the end...

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Google has revamped its mobile version site and even if you click on the classic link it will take you to the mobile page and guess what it shows its searches on its mobile version page. Earlier, it used to display the search results on the classic page. What are these guys upto?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Google has revamped its mobile version site and even if you click on the classic link it will take you to the mobile page and guess what it shows its searches on its mobile version page. Earlier, it used to display the search results on the classic page. What are these guys upto?
Well, with Advertising conversions in the dumps right now, I reckon pushing all that iPhone traffic to a slumping division to pad the numbers for advertisers could be an underlying reason.

My company is already considering making web apps, just for the sticky traffic, because theres that much of it coming from just the iPhone, lol.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Well, with Advertising conversions in the dumps right now, I reckon pushing all that iPhone traffic to a slumping division to pad the numbers for advertisers could be an underlying reason.

My company is already considering making web apps, just for the sticky traffic, because theres that much of it coming from just the iPhone, lol.
So, who is responsible? Google or Apple for building their Safari browser for iPhone.

bef4life

Oct 20, 2007
Get to Google Classic

So, the issue is that Google is recognizing that a request is coming specifically from the iPhone, and sending you to their mobile site. Why? That's a question for Google.

How to beat it? Trick google.com into thinking you're not an iPhone.

go to
www.google.com/search?q=+&client=firefox

that should do it. It brings you to an empty results page, but it is Google Classic.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Ugh, I just got the revamped mobile version, and how awful... Seriously...
Weird, it's not happening to me. Yet.
Let's reassess that. If I google directly from the google site, I get the mobile mode, even if I hit classic.
If I google directly from the top of the safari page, I get the Classic mode.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If you add "news" to the end of the google address in your address bar it will open the classic news page. You can then access the classic images, etc.. pages using the links at the top. If you click "Web" it will revert to the mobile version though. Not sure what portion of the classic page you were looking for but that may help you get to it.

Joseph B

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I'm now getting the "re-direct" to Google Mobile as well. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one!

The thing is: I don't mind using Google Mobile. What's suppose to be the "down side"?