iPhone Hackers Prosecuted

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Unless he makes money on it (selling solution), or costs AT&T or someone else money (stealing service somehow), nothing will happen. It is his property, he can do with it what he wants, if he wants to turn it into a time machine, good for him.

Hence why instead of someone offering him $35000 (Price of Nisson 350Z), they gave him the car. Same deal with college athletes, they are not aloud to make money, but you bet the Alumni and Universities are buying them cars, etc.)

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
wow old news once again what a surprise....

I don't see anything about anyone being prosecuted or locked up...yet...but yes as another member said, the only way this punk kid will face legal opposition is if he attempts to profit from this hack...same goes for anyone else.....looks like he will have to swallow his pride and give it away for free...also, who is the idiot who gave away his car? Sh!tty car but honestly the guy must have lost his marbles....

Btw, when I viewed the link in the op, it TOTALLY fvcked up safari in iPhone....something I had never seen...

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
wow old news once again what a surprise....

I don't see anything about anyone being prosecuted or locked up...yet...but yes as another member said, the only way this punk kid will face legal opposition is if he attempts to profit from this hack...same goes for anyone else.....looks like he will have to swallow his pride and give it away for free...also, who is the idiot who gave away his car? Sh!tty car but honestly the guy must have lost his marbles....

Btw, when I viewed the link in the op, it TOTALLY fvcked up safari in iPhone....something I had never seen...
The kid already published his methods for everyone to read for free, so he does not need to swallow his pride. Also, the guy who gave up the car wanted to recruit the kid to work for his company and it appears that it worked. All this info is on the kid's blog.

This threat of prosecution is not directed at the NJ kid, but another company that is promising to sell software to unlock the phone.

Also, the link opened just fibe for me (using 1.0.2) :)

But I agree that the title is over the top since no one has been prosecuted.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
yeah Apple is delighted though it sucks to be AT&T. AT&T was selfish though, 2-year plan starts at 59.99... thinking they will lock customers to the iPhone. If AT&T sues wouldn't the simfree.com company instead of making money just allow the software to be free? That would be pretty funny... both lost at the end of the day.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I look at this like there are two types of hacking here.

1.) Hacking that cracks open the software allowing use of carriers other than AT&T. In this case I believe both AT&T and Apple would be affected, and be concerned. AT&T would lose customers that wanted the iPhone but wanted a different carrier. The Apple lawyer team is probably freaking out right now because you know that there is some clause in the contract with AT&T that says they are responsible for making sure that other carriers cannot be used. The Apple software team is probably looking for some sort of fix to make sure that they get this patched up ASAP.

2.) Hacking that modifies ringtones, buttons, backgrounds, etc. In this case I believe AT&T and Apple are not as concerned. It makes certain customers happy to be able to hack and modify. These customers are the type of people who would rather get backgrounds and ringtones this way rather than buying them. Other people would rather just find a website with downloadable rings, backgrounds and apps.

I think type 1 will not be accepted and will be corrected. I think type 2 will be "overlooked".........it almost seems to me as if they made the software setup soft enough to be hacked. Anyone here have any experience hacking a psp? Psp's are hard to hack well, and easy to brick. I have seen and heard of a lot of unusable psp's. (I'm sure someone hacked the hell out of their psp with no problems, but the percentage of bricked psp's to bricked iPhones is a lot higher on the sony side.)

I rambled. My original point was going to be that I don't think "casual" hackers modding ringtones, backgrounds, buttons, and apps would ever be prosecuted. I think people cracking the iPhone in order to get money, or a new car, will be pursued.

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
I look at this like there are two types of hacking here.

1.) Hacking that cracks open the software allowing use of carriers other than AT&T. In this case I believe both AT&T and Apple would be affected, and be concerned. AT&T would lose customers that wanted the iPhone but wanted a different carrier. The Apple lawyer team is probably freaking out right now because you know that there is some clause in the contract with AT&T that says they are responsible for making sure that other carriers cannot be used. The Apple software team is probably looking for some sort of fix to make sure that they get this patched up ASAP.

2.) Hacking that modifies ringtones, buttons, backgrounds, etc. In this case I believe AT&T and Apple are not as concerned. It makes certain customers happy to be able to hack and modify. These customers are the type of people who would rather get backgrounds and ringtones this way rather than buying them. Other people would rather just find a website with downloadable rings, backgrounds and apps.

I think type 1 will not be accepted and will be corrected. I think type 2 will be "overlooked".........it almost seems to me as if they made the software setup soft enough to be hacked. Anyone here have any experience hacking a psp? Psp's are hard to hack well, and easy to brick. I have seen and heard of a lot of unusable psp's. (I'm sure someone hacked the hell out of their psp with no problems, but the percentage of bricked psp's to bricked iPhones is a lot higher on the sony side.)

I rambled. My original point was going to be that I don't think "casual" hackers modding ringtones, backgrounds, buttons, and apps would ever be prosecuted. I think people cracking the iPhone in order to get money, or a new car, will be pursued.
Not sure about the iPhone/Cellular community but in the gaming community there is a very distinct difference between "hacks" and "mods". You made a pretty good distinction here I think. A mod is something that cusomizes the phone's use for the consumer but does not affect intended use. A hack is something that allows the phone to be used "other than it's intended use" and I'm sure there is some legal-ese in the Apple/ATT contracts that covers this in some fashion.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It's a losing battle on the AT&T/Apple side. I've never seen a GSM phone that cannot be unlocked. It's not like they didn't try to make it hard; the iPhone has been VERY hard to unlock and that is why it took so long. There are now at least three different ways to use another carrier's sim card. Changing the phone to thwart all of them and keeping up with new ones takes a lot of work that requires changing fundamental software/firmware in the device, which is not to be done lightly or quickly.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
It's a losing battle on the AT&T/Apple side. I've never seen a GSM phone that cannot be unlocked. It's not like they didn't try to make it hard; the iPhone has been VERY hard to unlock and that is why it took so long. There are now at least three different ways to use another carrier's sim card. Changing the phone to thwart all of them and keeping up with new ones takes a lot of work that requires changing fundamental software/firmware in the device, which is not to be done lightly or quickly.

Kind of like satellite cards? Whenever "my buddy" would have his card altered to receive all programming on his satellite they would change their codes and mess up "my buddy's" card. Then "my buddy" would have his card reprogrammed and it would last like 3 days and then they changed their codes again. This happened until I.........I mean "my buddy" got tired of messing with it and paid to be legal. The satellite company's efforts paid off...."my buddy" is paying for satellite!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I don't see how Apple cannot take legal actions on the kid. They have to protect their investments. Who would ever team up with Apple again if they left AT&T in the mud?

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Kind of like satellite cards? Whenever "my buddy" would have his card altered to receive all programming on his satellite they would change their codes and mess up "my buddy's" card. Then "my buddy" would have his card reprogrammed and it would last like 3 days and then they changed their codes again. This happened until I.........I mean "my buddy" got tired of messing with it and paid to be legal. The satellite company's efforts paid off...."my buddy" is paying for satellite!
"MY buddy" lol :p

j2chulo

Aug 25, 2007
I own an iPhone and i hope i don't get a crazy bill when i get my first statement. i went to florida i live in NYC i don't know if roaming count out there. But i will def be glad to have my phone unlocked and be able to use on my next Trip to Dominican Republic. it will be suck having a nice device and unable to use it where i go.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The phone is very different from satellite receiver. Again, I don't know of any phone that isn't unlocked.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I don't see how Apple cannot take legal actions on the kid. They have to protect their investments. Who would ever team up with Apple again if they left AT&T in the mud?
Apple has no standing against the kid. If I choose to open up my phone and change it, then cancel my AT&T service and go with another carrier, how the f can Apple prevent me from this? It's anorher thing if I sell the Apple code and debatable if I start selling the unlocking service (note that the kid is NOT selling the service). But for modifying your own PURCHASED device to use it any which way you like, they have no standing. Heck you can buy a bmw and mod the heck out of it and stop taking it to bmw for service but take it to Joe Schmoe service station, who are they to tell you not to do that with YOUR property that you paid dearly for?