iPhone 'Hacking'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DC3011

Nov 4, 2007
Hi, I am interested in getting an iPhone and I am moving onto an O2 contract next week, but not one of the iPhone ones because they are (well I think) far too overpriced for the amount of minutes and texts they include.
So I was wondering, would it be possible to get an iPhone on O2 network, and put my current O2 SIM Card in, and it will work? Or will I have to 'hack' my iPhone to get it to work?
Thanks in advanced

slope

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
Inside my Iphone
I take it you are going to buy the phone from a store at £269, then when you get home swap sim cards to another O2 contract sim?

I think it won't accept the sim without you jailbreaking etc. Also you will not get edge or Visual voicemail as i think they are specific to the iPhone tarriff.

Personally i was going to wait and buy mine on O2 as i like in Northern Ireland but bought one when i was in Vegas a few weeks ago. I use an O2 PAYG sim with no problems. I agree the tarriff is to expensive for what you get on an iPhone contract.

DC3011

Nov 4, 2007
So it will work, but I will have to hack my iPhone?
If I do this, is there any way that it can just suddenly go 'dead' (ie. a new firmware update to disable it?)

slope

Bronze
Oct 21, 2007
Inside my Iphone
I have just read in another post that the UK iPhone will come with firmware 1.1.2. As this is new you will not be able to jailbreak it and i doubt your other sim card will work. It looks like you will have to take an iPhone tarriff, buy a USA phone on 1.1.1 or lower, or wait till the usual guys crack the 1.1.2 firmware.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
best bet is to buy an iPhone used over there that you can check the firmware of first before you buy it... then you can take it home, jailbreak and unlock the phone within about 15 mins and be on the O2 network....

scotty1y

Nov 4, 2007
best to use Apple's software only because when you update your iPhone using iTunes it will overwrite any third party mods you make.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
best to use Apple's software only because when you update your iPhone using iTunes it will overwrite any third party mods you make.
? not sure exactly what your talking about.... he is talking about using 3rd party apps to unlock his phone because he is in another country and cannot use AT&T... and the fact that the new update will disable him from doing so...

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
a 1.0.2 firmware iPhone will also work for you.
iTunes will nag you to upgrade, but just say no
the only benefits for 1.1.2 AFAIK are "localized" keyboards, so you will not be missing much (unless you NEED a localized keyboard)

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
But if you don't go for the O2 contract you won't get access to the Wifi hotspots. Edge never took off in the UK, I think most networks have no support for it whatsoever and I know that O2s coverage is only 30% so far. It's not a lot better than GPRS and you'll be downloading whole websites off it so despite what O2 say, considering only 1% of UK is interested in getting an iPhone I can't see O2 expanding that coverage much, especially since the iPhone2'll likely have 3G. You might end up wishing you had that Wifi.

*edit*
I was just checking the tariffs in comparison to the N95 and I can see why you wouldn't wanna pay that.

Both of these are 18 month contracts at £35 per month:

iPhone -
Phone costs £269
200 minutes
200 text
Unlimited internet

N95
Phone costs £19.99
600 minutes
1000 texts - Plus you can choose between unlimited O2 calls or unlimited any network texts
1mb internet inclusive but since it still has Wifi and you save £250 on the phone that ain't too bad.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Dunno, I was just reading that the iPod Touch lets you use the same Wifi hotspots so maybe it's built into the iPhone hardware instead.