iPhone had a bad, bad weekend!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chunter001

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So the wife and I went on a camping trip this weekend. The first night we realized we had forgot to bring a radio, so we decided to use the iPhone to listen to some music.

Later on in the evening the wind shifted, and the campfire smoke was blowing into my face. I jumped up to get outta the way, catching my leg on a hot dog skewer, and knocking the iPhone off of the picnic table bench it had been sitting on.

When I looked down, it was sitting face down in the gravel. I figured it would be ok since it only fell about 10 inches or so. When I picked it up and turned it over, there it was. The screen had cracked from the top left corner to about the middle of the right hand side.:mad:

Luckily, I had been drinking so I didn't really freak out. I just made sure the touch screen still worked ok, and said "oh well" I'll send it in when we get home.

So, here we go with day two...the wife decided it would be fun to go geochaching. We were driving around to all of the sites, and using the iPhone to pull up GPS latitude/longitude to put in the GPS. We were coming up on one of the sites, when my Jeep sank all way up to the axle in mud.

Not thinking, I hopped right out to see how bad we were stuck. The iPhone was still sitting in my lap from checking the geochaching web site, flew right out the door. It landed flat on its back in the mud, sinking about an inch.:oops: Luckily the mud wasn't soupy, so no liquid got in it.

The phone still works just fine, but I'm headed to the Apple store to see about getting the screen replaced.

I think this is the last camping trip the IPohne will ever get to experience.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Your iPhone hates you. I have heard other stories of iPhones trying to escape their owners. One iPhone tried to escape its owner by jumping off the balcony. Mine has not tried to get away.......yet!

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
All I can say is WOW. This is certainly a testament to how well engineered the iPhone is that it still functioned after all that abuse! Maybe you should consider figuring out who you could send it to along with some photos and a detailed story documenting what all happened and all the activities you continued to engage in after the initial damage occurred. This seems like a story Apple would want EVERYONE to know about since the iPhone is considered a "pretty toy". Maybe you'd get a free repair or replacement in return for your story? The trick would be finding out WHO to send it to...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Holy crap, it dropped 10" and the screen cracked?!

I dropped mine out in a dirt/rock (jagged rock!) driveway the other day and it flew a good 5-6 feet, and landed on the screen hard--AND then slid across the jagged rocks.

Fortunately I had a Crystal film on the screen (BSE on the rest). The Crystal film was destroyed, and it looked like the glass was too. But when I got home and peeled off the film that wasn't a scratch on it. I never was a screen protector person, but now I am.

I should note that only a few days after getting my iPhone we became "separated" as I rode my motorcycle out of a mini-mart parking lot. Didn't realize it till I got home. Freaked out, flew back to the mart, and believe it or not someone saw it happen and had given my iPhone to the clerk. Aside from a small dent in the corner, it was fine.

Hopefully there won't be a third time... I don't think my luck can hold out.

--
Mike

chunter001

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Well, after $30 loaner fee, $249 repair cost, and $599 deposit for the loaner Apple is sending the loaner. They said it would be two businesss days to receive. I was afraid to ask how long the repair will take.

By the way, if anyone needs repairs and there is no Apple store near you, you can call 1800MYiPhone. To my dismay though, it sounds like Apple outsourced to India. I could barely understand the guy I talked to, and he was trying to tell me I would have to drive three hours away to the Apple store (store that I thought was an Apple was ATT).

I told him that he was wrong and explained that he needed to send me a loaner. After about 10 minutes on hold, he came back and said I was right.

We'll see how it goes from here.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
perhaps a $600 phone is not for you.
That seems like a relatively unqualified observation to me. If you dropped the prosumer grade video camera in your avatar, would that indicate you shouldn't be using it? By your logic, we shouldn't carry our iPhones on boats or motorcylcles or anywhere they may be damaged. If you are commenting on the op's apparent carelessness, be careful - karma can be a real b&@"h!

w7ox

Jul 25, 2007
Dude, keep that damn phone on your belt! Or in a pocket!
Belt case is the only way to go, IMHO. If mine moves from its normal resting place (just to my right now), it is in a belt case which is securely tethered to a belt loop (avoiding "phone down the toilet" syndrome).

Phil

AfroAaron

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
The Big UK
Belt case is the only way to go, IMHO. If mine moves from its normal resting place (just to my right now), it is in a belt case which is securely tethered to a belt loop (avoiding "phone down the toilet" syndrome).

Phil

I have had a very bad time with belt ones

(others used to point into my stomach)

does this one?

w7ox

Jul 25, 2007
Well, after $30 loaner fee, $249 repair cost, and $599 deposit for the loaner Apple is sending the loaner. They said it would be two businesss days to receive. I was afraid to ask how long the repair will take.

By the way, if anyone needs repairs and there is no Apple store near you, you can call 1800MYiPhone. To my dismay though, it sounds like Apple outsourced to India. I could barely understand the guy I talked to, and he was trying to tell me I would have to drive three hours away to the Apple store (store that I thought was an Apple was ATT).

I told him that he was wrong and explained that he needed to send me a loaner. After about 10 minutes on hold, he came back and said I was right.

We'll see how it goes from here.
If the loaner is coming from India, you will have a bit of a wait :)

Phil

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
"That seems like a relatively unqualified observation to me. If you dropped the prosumer grade video camera in your avatar, would that indicate you shouldn't be using it? By your logic, we shouldn't carry our iPhones on boats or motorcylcles or anywhere they may be damaged. If you are commenting on the op's apparent carelessness, be careful - karma can be a real b&@"h!"

if i had my "prosumer grade camera" in my lap and i forgot it was there and dropped it...well yes, i would say i shouldn't be using such an expensive camera.

if i tripped while running to get a shot...well, yes again..shouldn't be running with a camera without an assistant to watch where i go.

so i don't think it's an unqualified remark at all.

for $600, i'm taking care of mine. yeah, accidents happen, but being careful counts for a lot. no, i wouldn't take a $600 phone camping or boating with me...it would stay in the car.

i am not saying that the original poster wasn't being careful. merely, responding to your post,

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
"for $600, i'm taking care of mine. yeah, accidents happen, but being careful counts for a lot. no, i wouldn't take a $600 phone camping or boating with me...it would stay in the car."

Ok, well thanks for clearing that up. I, for one, bought a converged device that included a cell phone for the ability to make calls - especially in the event of an emergency. If you have another device that can temporarily replace the need for a phone, or if you don't feel the need to carry a phone outside your comfort zone - great.

As far as toting around expensive gear in potentially inhospitable environments, I routinely belly crawl along the surf line on the beach with a DSLR and a $7000 lens. There are obvious potential catastrophes that await such an endeavour - but my desire to get just the right shot of whatever sandpiper or other bird surpasses the fear that I may tip over the rig, or get hit by an unobserved large wave, or even trip while carrying from one spot to another. This, in no way, means I should not be using $10,000+ in camera gear. I simply means that what I am doing necessitates taking a risk with electronic equipment. The op's activities of camping and geocaching are no different.

Not arguing, simply stating that your original statement was a little harsh...

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
hmm... good question.

if it's under warranty I've seen cases where Apple sends out a free loaner but for non-warranty repair work, Apple probably handles it case by case.

Since the screen broke, Apple can only assume negligence and plan accordingly. Worst case: if they didn't charge for a loaner, they might have problems with folks charging back on the repair costs, even after the repair is done.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
hummmm

So the wife and I went on a camping trip this weekend. The first night we realized we had forgot to bring a radio, so we decided to use the iPhone to listen to some music.

Later on in the evening the wind shifted, and the campfire smoke was blowing into my face. I jumped up to get outta the way, catching my leg on a hot dog skewer, and knocking the iPhone off of the picnic table bench it had been sitting on.

When I looked down, it was sitting face down in the gravel. I figured it would be ok since it only fell about 10 inches or so. When I picked it up and turned it over, there it was. The screen had cracked from the top left corner to about the middle of the right hand side.:mad:

Luckily, I had been drinking so I didn't really freak out. I just made sure the touch screen still worked ok, and said "oh well" I'll send it in when we get home.

So, here we go with day two...the wife decided it would be fun to go geochaching. We were driving around to all of the sites, and using the iPhone to pull up GPS latitude/longitude to put in the GPS. We were coming up on one of the sites, when my Jeep sank all way up to the axle in mud.

Not thinking, I hopped right out to see how bad we were stuck. The iPhone was still sitting in my lap from checking the geochaching web site, flew right out the door. It landed flat on its back in the mud, sinking about an inch.:oops: Luckily the mud wasn't soupy, so no liquid got in it.

The phone still works just fine, but I'm headed to the Apple store to see about getting the screen replaced.

I think this is the last camping trip the IPohne will ever get to experience.
Ever hear the phrase... keep it in your pants... I do.