iPhone hardware repairing....

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i'm thinking about getting into this for a little extra side job while i finish up my PhD (have my own businesss but more cash always helps). if anyone around here does it (screen repair, plastic casing repair, etc) post up how you got into it and what your resources are (buy broken iPhones or what?). i have good software knowledge, and i know there are some vids online about how to repair, but i'm assuming i'll just have to get some and give it a try to get the ball rolling....

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sound good Pepe!...I have an V1 with a broken display... ;)

I have watch some of these videos, and must say it look very hard to change these displays! So if you get into this businesss, I'll guess lots of people (like me) will need your help on these repairs!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
V1 repair is certainly not for the faint of heart. 3G is a little more user-serviceable but it still takes practice. I know there were guides on here but I can't find them at the moment.

Good luck in your venture... it won't be easy!

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^you don't think more cash always helps?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^hahahahah YOU GOT ME!

i think i had a few cold ones when i originally posted this :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
^hahahahah YOU GOT ME!

i think i had a few cold ones when i originally posted this :)
It happens, buddy!

I meticulously check all my posts before submitting, but every once in a while a mistake will slip through. Usually, I'm quick enough to hit "edit" and correct it before anyone sees, but that's usually...:)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It happens, buddy!

I meticulously check all my posts before submitting, but every once in a while a mistake will slip through. Usually, I'm quick enough to hit "edit" and correct it before anyone sees, but that's usually...:)
Oh well, what's a misplaced comma here or there. :p

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Oh well, what's a misplaced comma here or there. :p
According to many sources, the comma after "usually" is acceptable. There seem to be many that don't advise using the comma in this case as well. The comma in this case seems to one of those "things" that can be either used or not, like so many other rules of grammar.

Now, lets talk about your punctuation at the end of that sentence. :)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
According to many sources, the comma after "usually" is acceptable. There seem to be many that don't advise using the comma in this case as well. The comma in this case seems to one of those "things" that can be either used or not, like so many other rules of grammar.

Now, lets talk about your punctuation at the end of that sentence. :)
I humbly accept your explanation of the comma and am enrolling in punctuation 101 as we speak.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I humbly accept your explanation of the comma and am enrolling in punctuation 101 as we speak.
Don't get me wrong; even the great and powerful Napoleon_PhoneApart makes spelling and grammatical errors from time to time (and don't go there on my use of the semi-colon. Those are two independent clauses. :)

I'm just paranoid about letting the general public see them. :p

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Can services like this be promoted in the 'Marketplace' section here? If they can, that might be a good starting point to build a rep in this area.

Maybe offer 'No fix / No charge' type deal at the outset, since anyone who's seen this thread knows you're a rookie for now.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
yah, i actually just took my 3g apart and disconnected the screen completely, plugged it back in, and put it back together. was a little scary at first, but definitely could do this. i think an original would be a bit harder from the looks of it, now just gotta get parts and figure out a businesss plan on how much to charge, where to get parts, and how the process would be structured as i'm sure there is some amount of failure rate.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
yah, i actually just took my 3g apart and disconnected the screen completely, plugged it back in, and put it back together. was a little scary at first, but definitely could do this. i think an original would be a bit harder from the looks of it, now just gotta get parts and figure out a businesss plan on how much to charge, where to get parts, and how the process would be structured as i'm sure there is some amount of failure rate.
You may need some stuff on this website!?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
weird, i've went through that site before, prices are decent, good info, i'd probably have to figure out a way to buy used or broken iPhones (although it seems the screen would be the first to go, also not sure if water damaged phones' screens still work?) we will see, thanks for helpin out.