iPhone has dual batteries?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Before the keynote, I read a rumor that the iPhone was going to have dual batteries. One was for the phone and the other was for the other functions. When nothing was mentioned about this during the keynote, I wrote it off. Then today I ran across this article on Mac OS Rumors. The part the caught my eye was this:

"Such is the remarkable efficiency of the stunning widescreen display, Xscale ARM (RISC) CPU, onboard memory, Flash storage and surprisingly large dual batteries which dominate the interior space of the iPhone enclosure."​

Is Mac OS Rumors a reliable site? Any chance this is true?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
The dual battery iPhone runor appears to have come from blogger & Digg founder Kevin Rose, who claimed to have inside information on the iPhone. The report: one battery will power the wireless radio (plus WiFi & BT, I think) and the other will provide general power and juice the iPod. One charger, though. That way, you don't have to worry about draining the phone by listening to/viewing A/V content.

Note that he also stated that the iPhone will be carried by Verizon, T-mobile, and Sprint; that it will have a slide-out keyboard; and that it might have a touch screen. :oops:

-K

Edit: Here's the , originally posted 12/3/06. Langauge alert (hey, it's a vlog!)

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Yeah, I remember watching that last December. Since so much of the other info provided about the iPhone proved to be bogus, I figured the info regarding the dual battery was incorrect as well.

The quote from Mac OS Rumors in my OP seemed to indicate that they had some new information. Specifically, about the battery(s) and the amount of space occupied by it/them. I haven't seen any other articles regarding the size or number of batteries. Has anyone here seen anything to indicate that Mac OS Rumors data is wrong?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Ah yes. Well MacOS Rumors has a less-than-stellar track record according to more reputable tech sites like Macrumors.com and Gizmodo.com. But you what they say about sun and a dog's a**...

-K

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
yeah before information was let out anyone could say anything about the iPhone and create hype. Now that we know some details it is easy to look back and denounce the falcitity of those rumors.