iPhone headphone socket

deano92

Apr 9, 2008
when i go to plug my headphone into the socket on my phone they don't stay in because when i push it down you can feel it it push back up, theres nothing inside as i shined a light in it and nothing was there, does any one else have this problem? will i be able to get this fixed

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Are you using the headphones which came with the iPhone? You may be having problems with the recessed jack.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Are you doing this with the stock headphones, or an aftermarket set? If it's an aftermarket set, then the problem is that the shielding around the headphone jack is too wide and needs to be trimmed down to allow the plug to fully seat.
If it's the stock headphones, try plugging them in slowly and see if there is any portion of the white jacket around the plug getting caught on the iPhone's body.
If you have the opportunity, I would go to an Apple store and test with other Apple headsets and see if you keep having the same problem. If they work and yours doesn't, then you need to have Apple swap out the headphones.

deano92

Apr 9, 2008
I am using the orginal ones that come with the iPhone, i would take it to a Apple store but i don't think there are any in the UK. It doesn't seem to get caught it just stop working one day when i plugged it in, it just doestn seem to stay in as i sadi before you can feel it piush back up when you push it right in, i have also tried my ipod headphone and it does the same thing

deano92

Apr 9, 2008
nope they look ok, sometimes it works then again so im not sure whats happeining, looks like im just going to have to fiddle with it to get it to work, thanks for the help.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Have you checked for an obstruction in the jack? There might be some pocket lint trapped in there preventing the headphones from going all the way in, it happen to my phone occasionally.

deano92

Apr 9, 2008
nope i tried wiping it and then putting it back in and its still the same

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
You would break the warranty. Just one more option for you to consider. :)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Can you not take it to the Authorized Reseller of Apple products that your purchased the phone from (assuming of course you got it at a reseller)?

deano92

Apr 9, 2008
im to scared to risk taking it apart, yeah my dad got it for me from a o2 shop so would they just give me a new one for the damaged one?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, I would suggest taking it in to the O2 store before trying to fix it yourself, in the case that they will replace it for you. I'm not quite sure how the resellers work but I do know that each iPhone comes with a 1 year warranty.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Call Apple about a loaner phone while they take a look at yours. Usually they're pretty quick about warranty work.

Tarmac

Mar 29, 2008
If you bought it at an 02 shop, just go exchange it. The problem should be obvious to them, I don't picture them arguing with you.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
yeah phone Apple first explain the problem. TELL them you want a replacement and ask them for a reference number to take to your local o2 shop. TELL them you have contacted Apple and that they have sent you for a replacement. You have to be a bit firmer in the UK and Ireland as their not as hot on customer service.