iPhone Hidden Fee?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
So I just got my first bill from AT&T after activating the iPhone and I think it charged me $10 extra.

I had an existing contract with Cingular/AT&T when I activated the iPhone, it was a $59.99 family plan that I share with my brother. He was the main line so his line was $44.99 and my line was the secondary line so mine was $14.99. Usually before the iPhone, the monthly bill was $68 or so. As we all know, I needed to add the $20 unlimited data plan in order to activate the iPhone so I did.

This month's bill came and it said the balance is a whopping $98, which was $10 more than I expected. I checked all the info and it listed my brother's line at $44.99 (which is correct) and mine at $44.99 as well which puzzles me. Simple math says 14.99+20= $34.99, so I am wondering where did the extra $10 come from? Anybody went through a similar situation or can help me shed some light on this? It'll be greatly appreciated (and sorry for the LOOONG post).

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
If this is the first bill those are probably pro-rates fees for the first month. It will get normal by the second bill

applecart

Bronze
Oct 13, 2007
miami, fl
you might want to check your SMS option. the $20 plan offers 200 SMS per month, i recall seeing the a $10 option to increase during the activation process.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
That and just look for a general billing error and call them. The one thing that almost broke the deal with me in getting an iPhone was that ATT was the chosen carrier. When I was last with ATT about 6 years ago I had billing errors every month for about 11 months before I terminated my contract. So now I am meticulous when I look my bill over and on the phone immediately if something looks odd.

Aug 9, 2007
i've got the mother of all AT&T billing problems

i recently got married so I switched my carrier from T-Mobile to join my wife's AT&T family plan (she has 2 kids on it as well), and picked up a shiny new iPhone for myself along the way. I bought my phone new-in-box from an individual on eBay, and paid through PayPal, taking the money directly out of my bank account. all went well for the first month. During the second month, I got a call from AT&T, advising me that we could save $5.00 each month by taking our text messages up to unlimited for all 4 phones on the plan. Great, sign us up. the next bill get is almost $900.00. I hit the roof, thinking somehow they've screwed us on text messages. (The kids text like nobody's businesss). I get home and go over the paper bill to find a miscellaneous charge for $648.42. I call AT&T and it turns out they charged me $648.42 for the "iPhone you activated". After several transfers and jumping through several hoops explaining that I did not buy my phone from an AT&T store, did not purchase it with a Visa, and did not report said Visa purchase as fraudulent, I am told not to pay that portion of the bill, and someone will call me back. i've since placed three more calls, and still have not been able to remove this charge from my bill. :sick:

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
i recently got married so I switched my carrier from T-Mobile to join my wife's AT&T family plan (she has 2 kids on it as well), and picked up a shiny new iPhone for myself along the way. I bought my phone new-in-box from an individual on eBay, and paid through PayPal, taking the money directly out of my bank account. all went well for the first month. During the second month, I got a call from AT&T, advising me that we could save $5.00 each month by taking our text messages up to unlimited for all 4 phones on the plan. Great, sign us up. the next bill get is almost $900.00. I hit the roof, thinking somehow they've screwed us on text messages. (The kids text like nobody's businesss). I get home and go over the paper bill to find a miscellaneous charge for $648.42. I call AT&T and it turns out they charged me $648.42 for the "iPhone you activated". After several transfers and jumping through several hoops explaining that I did not buy my phone from an AT&T store, did not purchase it with a Visa, and did not report said Visa purchase as fraudulent, I am told not to pay that portion of the bill, and someone will call me back. i've since placed three more calls, and still have not been able to remove this charge from my bill. :sick:
Search around on some of the forums, I remember reading about this problem with at least one other. Not quite clear how it happens but somehow the funds were never collected from the original purchaser (maybe used a stolen cc or something) and once the phone is activated, they charge it to the subscribers bill.

Good luck straightening it out :(