iPhone iCon Change Icons on your home screen

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
so im guessing dmg file is mac os x? i was going to change my icons this evening and am very confused - do i have to go buy a mac book pro or can i do this on windows xp :p

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
i understand what dir to go into to change files but if every file name is icon.png and you have them in the same file as the iPhoneinterface how do you have more than one?

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
ok where do i put all the "icon.png" icons to change them - this is all that is confusing me

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
ok so reading into it you have to put the original files into another folder while in cmd? i must be tired because i feel so stupid lol
modding everything else was so easy
you basically have to replace the icons over and over.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Ok, just while reading this thread, I noticed it was really messy and hard to understand. I think it'd be better to start a new thread detailing how this is all done.

Another thing I think would make this forum better is either a sub forum or a thread where iPhone users can post the icons they made (if they want to) and that way there will be a variety will be available to all members of EverythingiPhone.com

I'm trying to understand how these icons are being made. I'm good with Photoshop, but I don't like making icons that much. If I get it down pretty good and can come up wiith something I'm somewhat confident with, then I'll bem ore than willing to post them in a thread for those who like it to use.

I haven't done any hacks on my iPhone, afraid to, but I might do it sometime in the future. One reason why I haven't is because I like certain icons off everyones pictures, but I don't like all the icons off everyones pictures. If I could mix and match them, then I'm be happy, but they're different colored themes.

This is just my opinion, but I think many members will appreciate and enjoy it. And if people who aren't experienced enough to make their own have a variety to choose from and use, it will help a lot of people out.

NOTE: I just found this site that might be able to help some of those who aren't experienced enough to change their icons for their iPhone. Or at least inspire you to come up with ideas of a look for your icons.

http://www.iconarchive.com/category/application/comic-iphone-icons-by-fasticon.html

(Use the links on the side to pick different styles, it can't be used for ALL iPhone icons. Just Calender, iPod, etc...)

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Ok lets start from the beginning: If you have a mac then all you have to do is read this:
http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/iPhone_changing_system_icons.html

If you have a PC, now assuming you already ran jailbreak and have iPhoneinterface open and connected to the phone:

so it looks like:
iPhone#/

this is where all the icons live:

/Applications/Calculator.app/
/Applications/Maps.app/
/Applications/MobileCal.app/ This is the calendar.
/Applications/MobileMail.app/
/Applications/MobileMusicPlayer.app/
/Applications/MobileNotes.app/
/Applications/MobilePhone.app/
/Applications/MobileSafari.app/
/Applications/MobileSlideShow.app/icon-Camera.png
/Applications/MobileSlideShow.app/icon-Photos.png
/Applications/MobileSMS.app/
/Applications/MobileTimer.app/ This is the clock.
/Applications/Preferences.app/ This is Settings.
/Applications/Stocks.app/
/Applications/Weather.app/
/Applications/YouTube.app/

So all you have to do is go to each directory, for example if i wanna do the calc. it would look like this:

iPhone:/#cd /Applications/Calculator.app/
iPhone:/Applications/Calculator.app/# putfile /Applications/Calculator.app/icon.png

then keep repeating that for each directory

I didn't know what I was doing when I decided to do this and it was 100% easy follow this guys instructions and you will be ok.. Also watch wjp09's videos for ringtones and carrier logos to get a feel of what you willl be doing thats what i did and now my phone is modded like crazy

.:MirrorminD:.

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I didn't know what I was doing when I decided to do this and it was 100% easy follow this guys instructions and you will be ok.. Also watch wjp09's videos for ringtones and carrier logos to get a feel of what you willl be doing thats what i did and now my phone is modded like crazy

eheh thanks for the props

Reactions: Britna

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
They could patch everything in an update but they could not we will not know until it actually comes out for now have some fun

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
They could patch everything in an update but they could not we will not know until it actually comes out for now have some fun
if that's the case i won't be sync'ing my iPhone to iTunes to update until i know for sure there is no patch lol it will be really gay if they do because that will mean they put a stop on production to try and stop us from doing what they should of done in the first place.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
hey i'm sorry but which one is the ipod? because i input
/Applications/MobileMusicPlayer.app/
and it says can't find it, if you can please just post what to enter to change this one icon and i will be good to go. ty and please include the lockdown and plist i'm lost there too