iPhone iCon Change Icons on your home screen

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
dude just 1 example please? how do i change the ipod icon? what does my icon's name have to be? when do i push enter? please just 1 example

afsilverman

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
here is a tutorial for mac users to change the icons on the homescreen of you iPhone...

i know this is a link from another forum and it might not be allowed not sure on the rules but if not delete and make a very similar tutorial lol!
i need it for pc users

Last edited by a moderator:

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Just curious, has anyone gotten these mods to work successfuly on a Windows Vista PC? I'm thinking about trying it, just haven't seen any tutorials on how to do it on a Vista based PC. Or even successful posts for that matter....

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Search and you will find. There are many threads there is even a sticky on this forum and that shows you every single tool you need to get it done

Pospower

Jul 1, 2007
ok now I found jailbreak and iPhoneinterface. How do I use them. I click on jailbreak and follow the instructions and it says sending software then booting iPhone and stops. How long am I supposed to wait. I waited about 5 minutes and gave up. I got a message that said restore my iPhone so I'm doing that and uploading all of my music again. What a pain. Did I stop to soon.

Any link to using jailbreak would be helpful.
The rest seems pretty straight forward we'll see.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I think you stopped to soon man.. it took long when i did it.. there is a thread here from wjp09 he shows how to to ringtones in a video and picture tutorial I read that and did it but didn't do ringtones just up to the part of iPhoneinterface

finagle69

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Just curious, has anyone gotten these mods to work successfuly on a Windows Vista PC? I'm thinking about trying it, just haven't seen any tutorials on how to do it on a Vista based PC. Or even successful posts for that matter....
it works perfectly fine on my copy of Vista Ultimate x32.

well, almost perfectly. when i make a change and power the phone off then back on, iPhoneinterface no longer sees the phone... i have to then reboot the computer with the phone plugged in. it's a pain in the neck, but i'm used to it now.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
it works perfectly fine on my copy of Vista Ultimate x32.
well, almost perfectly. when i make a change and power the phone off then back on, iPhoneinterface no longer sees the phone... i have to then reboot the computer with the phone plugged in. it's a pain in the neck, but i'm used to it now.

That's strange. After I did this part of WJP09's Ringtone Tutorial, I ran into problems I haven't heard anyone else running into.

"iPHONE SOFTWARE UPDATE PACKET
Plug in your iPhone, and go to iTunes. Then hit the Restore button. *NOTE* You are NOT restoring your iPhone. Confirm that you do want to restore (even though you don't) by hitting Restore.

Now unplug your iPhone from your computer. After the Download status bar reaches 100% it has been fully downloaded to your PC."

When I go to extract the files in that restore (after renaming it to a .zip file of course) It says sometihng about not being able to extract because of the permission or something.

And if I can manage to get it to work with the help of the forum, I'm going to need some help when it comes to modding the icons, I've read the posts over and over again and still don't have any idea on how to change them. But that don't matter right now since I can't even get that far.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
im in dier need of a FSO_LockIcon.png in blue please to match the wifi E Signal icons please

finagle69

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
That's strange. After I did this part of WJP09's Ringtone Tutorial, I ran into problems I haven't heard anyone else running into.

"iPHONE SOFTWARE UPDATE PACKET
Plug in your iPhone, and go to iTunes. Then hit the Restore button. *NOTE* You are NOT restoring your iPhone. Confirm that you do want to restore (even though you don't) by hitting Restore.

Now unplug your iPhone from your computer. After the Download status bar reaches 100% it has been fully downloaded to your PC."

When I go to extract the files in that restore (after renaming it to a .zip file of course) It says sometihng about not being able to extract because of the permission or something.

And if I can manage to get it to work with the help of the forum, I'm going to need some help when it comes to modding the icons, I've read the posts over and over again and still don't have any idea on how to change them. But that don't matter right now since I can't even get that far.
It sounds like Vista is rearing its ugly nanny on you. I disabled UAC and have no problems. You can easily disable it by going to Users in Control Panel. Naturally you do so at your own risk.

Once you have UAC off, you'll be able to rename anything to your hearts content.

I've seemed to fix my earlier problem by not typing "quit" after completing a mid. The console window says " disconnected" but then reconnects when you power the iPhone back up.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Very confused

It sounds like Vista is rearing its ugly nanny on you. I disabled UAC and have no problems. You can easily disable it by going to Users in Control Panel. Naturally you do so at your own risk.

Once you have UAC off, you'll be able to rename anything to your hearts content.

I've seemed to fix my earlier problem by not typing "quit" after completing a mid. The console window says " disconnected" but then reconnects when you power the iPhone back up.
Thanks, but that's not the problem I'm having. The problem was that not everything could be extracted, only one file. But, I just solved the problem now.

Now if I can only understand how to do this stuff. Some simple questions;

How does the iPhone Interface program know where the set of icons that you want to replace with the default ones are located?

What do I type in on iPhone Interface?

I've seen different lines on different posts. Someone really needs to do an in depth tutorial on this. I know it uses the same programs as the ringtones tutorial wjp09 made, but it still doesn't help reading/watching that and then trying to do icons. A clean thread and very detailed tutorial will be the best, especially since more and more questions are asked that you guys have answered but are scattered throughout various threads.

I've been reading this stuff for days and I'm confused as hell. I'm afraid to do anything until I clearly know what steps I need to do. I might have more after reviewing everything again. I'll see.

Pospower

Jul 1, 2007
OK I've changed the icons but I was unable to do the last step.
cd system/library/lockdown
putfile services/plist

I still have new icons is this a necessary step and how do I do it.

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
OK I've changed the icons but I was unable to do the last step.
cd system/library/lockdown
putfile services/plist

I still have new icons is this a necessary step and how do I do it.
Try typing the following:

putfile Services.plist

You need to capitalize the "S" in Services and use a "." instead of "/" between Sevices and plist. This step is inportant because it allows you to sync your iPhone with iTunes...hope this helps

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I've been using my PC which has the Windows Vista-Home Premium OS on it for all my mods (ringtones, icons, sounds, etc) with no problems.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
I've been using my PC which has the Windows Vista-Home Premium OS on it for all my mods (ringtones, icons, sounds, etc) with no problems.
Ahh! Why do I always get the problems! After doing Steps 1-10 on the link below (as instructed to do if its your first time modding your iPhone in this thread http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/drag-and-drop-program-for-modding.5605/ )

http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/iPhone_ringtone_installation_windows.html

I get to Step 9. I get all the way up to the point where it says Booting iPhone. Everything after that I never see. My iPhone sat there for 1-2 minutes then went to the home screen. Now I'm afraid I'm gonna f*ck it up if I keep screwing with it...Although I don't know why it doesn't work. It seems I'm having more problems than most members. Not sure why, but I'm assuming it is because I'm using Windows Vista....it appears most members are still using Windows XP on their PC's. Geez, that 1-2 pause of nothing happening almost made me cry, thought my phone was a brick.

:(

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
hey guyz do you think it would be possible to make an app that would let us store several themes on the iPhone at once? So we could just change themes on the whim like any other cell phone.