iPhone icon that initiates an http request - how?

drivefast

Aug 16, 2007
this may be a really stupid question, since it's not about an iPhone application, but something way easier. is there any easy way that i can put an icon on my iPhone, like the calculator or the stocks icons, that would simply initiate an http request to a website, and display the page returned? sort of like a shortcut to safari. i am looking for a way to have this icon installed in a very easy way (sort of like for a totally non-technical person), so using the app installer and the app launcher is not an option. having that extra icon installed by the iTunes sync process would be the best. i have a feeling this should exist and i just cant find it - am i right?... thanks.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Not sure what you are asking here but to me it sounds like you want a safari shortcut? There already is one on the home screen....

drivefast

Aug 16, 2007
almost. what i want is an icon that starts safari and takes me directly to an URL.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Is it that difficult to just go to your bookmarks?

drivefast

Aug 16, 2007
anybody else has an advice about how can an icon launch safari and make it navigate to an URL? thanks!

KennX

Aug 12, 2007
iPhone apper

This does exactly what you're looking for. Feed it a URL and an icon and it makes you a launcher.

Take care,

-KennX

drivefast

Aug 16, 2007
right on! too bad it doesn't work - at least for now. returns a 0 bytes file... :( but this is exactly what i need.

drivefast

Aug 16, 2007
ok, looks like it works now, Jon fixed it for us.

drivefast

Aug 16, 2007
on the "this" page (sic) you upload an image (.png) file that will be the icon, and you enter a caption (the text that shows underneath) and the URL where you want safari to take you. then press the "App me" button, and automagically a file download will start. that file download is the .app file that you have to load into your ipho. good luck.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
on the "this" page (sic) you upload an image (.png) file that will be the icon, and you enter a caption (the text that shows underneath) and the URL where you want safari to take you. then press the "App me" button, and automagically a file download will start. that file download is the .app file that you have to load into your ipho. good luck.
I was being literal. The post that I replied to had no link in it. He just wrote "This does exactly what you're looking for" without indicating what "this" was.

So when you replied to me I wondered how you got the URL (the URL for iPhone Apper).

--
Mike

drivefast

Aug 16, 2007
there's a great website out there that i use several times during a day: www.google.com ;) ;) and the key was in the subject of his message. i hear you, i was puzzled myself too at first.