iPhone in Canada?

Geo

Bronze
Mar 9, 2008
Can anyone share some info on the possibility of the iPhone coming to Canada? Other than going to Buffalo or a downtown overpriced seller, is there a chance that Rogers will get it?
Geo

bvlaar

Feb 17, 2008
Rogers

My neighbor is a very high profile Rogers exec, I recently had her over to my house and watched a hockey game etc.. And we got talking about her position and she said there will be no iPhone anytime soon with Rogers. They are working on some other partnerships with cough "Android" cough.
Anyways, maybe another carrier in Canada?
But as of now, no iPhone with Rogers.

Geo

Bronze
Mar 9, 2008
We will just have to go and unlock one and use it north of the 48th anyway?

Lava

Bronze
Feb 25, 2008
I wouldn't hold your breath for a canadian iPhone, i heard there are some trademark issues with the name iPhone, only in canada obviously.

Anyways, is it worth the wait for something you aren't sure is even going to happen. You'll end up waiting a month or two, then realize it probably isn't coming out, then have to go to the states to buy one anyways.

phred26

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
Oakville, ON, Canada
i heard that they were negotiating with rogers, but rogers refused to bind with Apples contract or vise versa, this might be just gossip but i doubt its coming anything soon...your best bet is to go to a sketchy store lol, but they are pretty much available everywhere and mine is unlocked, im with fido, and its not bad at all...aside from the STUPID locking thing when you update

yusufh85

Mar 26, 2008
Can anyone share some info on the possibility of the iPhone coming to Canada? Other than going to Buffalo or a downtown overpriced seller, is there a chance that Rogers will get it?
Geo
a lot of time i see ppl asking if iPhone is accessable in canada, yes it is, here is one website, i bought mine from them in mid july. http://www.puremobile.ca The phone is AMAZING and fully unlocked with north american network, the only problem is there administration is messed up, too damn slow in replying emails yet very professional. Their price, I am telling you without looking at it, ITS GONA BE 50 - 70 BUCKS EXTRA. So far it works perfectly fine with my rogers and fido sim. i mistakenly got my locked by updating my itune version. theh were kind of enough to fix it but i had to ***** at them a couple of times. You can also find good deals on ebay. However, i don't feel safe cauz most of the users are now asking for western union money transfer.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
i mistakenly got my locked by updating my itune version. theh were kind of enough to fix it but i had to ***** at them a couple of times.
So let me get this straight......

You updated the firmware and locked your iPhone, but they were kind enough to help, and you felt the need to ***** at them?

I don't think you were in *ANY* position to ***** at anyone. Next time, pay attention to what you're doing so you don't f-up your phone.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Doesn't Rogers own Fido? I cannot see the iPhone coming to Canada.

1: Your internet plans are way too expensive.
2: The Canadian government doesn't like competition (think Air Canada).

Buy an unlocked one and just hope using the internet plan does not bankrupt you. The unions need their $100 an hour jobs right?

yusufh85

Mar 26, 2008
Hi there, I just wanted to let you know, the internet plans are no longer expensive in canada. 15$ unlimited for unlimited web browsing with fido and rogers, that i know for sure. i just ported in with rogers and i`m given 6 months of unlimited data usage. However, with iPhone, i surf for about 15MB daily because of its sharp images and watching videos on youtube. Once this promotion is over for me, im gona stop keep my use limited to emails or other important stuff until my data usage exceeds 4MB which is a lot believe me !

Buy an unlocked one and just hope using the internet plan does not bankrupt you. The unions need their $100 an hour jobs right?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You might want to check the small print:

Important: This plan includes unlimited on-device mobile browsing only and is only available on select phones (PDAs such as Blackberry or Windows Mobile devices, PC cards and non-Rogers certified devices are not eligible). Data usage incurred on ineligible devices or incurred while tethering (using device as wireless modem for computer) or incurred using non-Rogers (3rd party) applications downloaded to your device will be subject to pay-per-use charges of 5 cents/KB. A 3-year term service agreement is required for Rogers Vision devices.

I don't recall the iPhone being a Rogers certified phone.

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know, the internet plans are no longer expensive in canada. 15$ unlimited for unlimited web browsing with fido and rogers, that i know for sure. i just ported in with rogers and i`m given 6 months of unlimited data usage. However, with iPhone, i surf for about 15MB daily because of its sharp images and watching videos on youtube. Once this promotion is over for me, im gona stop keep my use limited to emails or other important stuff until my data usage exceeds 4MB which is a lot believe me !

yusufh85

Mar 26, 2008
Ok heres the thing. I purchased my phone from a 3rd party. I was with fido. i ported in with rogers. I was given KRAZR(Motorola) ... a 0$ phone for signing up for 2-year contract with rogers. With motorla phone, i am unable to access ANY website other than rogers. However if i wanna use facebook, hotmail or msn, there is a 5 cents- 25 cents per kb depending upon the website your accessing.
However, with iPhone, i just start browsing through safari and im not given ANY warning about any upcoming charges i`ll be looking forward to.
Im using rogers sim. I made sure with the rep working at the rogers store who signed me up for the plan that there shouldnt be any data usage charge on my bill" And she told me there is a note left on my account and i wont see any charge for 6 months. From last 3 months, my bill comes out about 75$ but there is an addiitonal 11$ charge for few other features.
Call rogers and ask for this plan ID.

DV2504MB

I hope it`s helpful :)

For those living in toronto, they can call this number, these are rogers authroized dealers in scarborough town center.

1800 Sheppard Ave. E
WILLOWDALE,ONT
M2J 5A7
tel#: 416 492 5306

You might want to check the small print:

Important: This plan includes unlimited on-device mobile browsing only and is only available on select phones (PDAs such as Blackberry or Windows Mobile devices, PC cards and non-Rogers certified devices are not eligible). Data usage incurred on ineligible devices or incurred while tethering (using device as wireless modem for computer) or incurred using non-Rogers (3rd party) applications downloaded to your device will be subject to pay-per-use charges of 5 cents/KB. A 3-year term service agreement is required for Rogers Vision devices.

I don't recall the iPhone being a Rogers certified phone.

miquel

Oct 22, 2007
You aren't going to see an iPhone in Canada until 1) we get a new GSM carrier (or Telus gets their act together) and
2) Commwave lets Apple use their iPhone name.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
However, with iPhone, i just start browsing through safari and im not given ANY warning about any upcoming charges i`ll be looking forward to.
Just because you don't get a warning, doesn't mean you won't be charged for it.

Geo

Bronze
Mar 9, 2008

Dude, that is mean! Might be some truth to it, but it is more than that. Every company (Palm, Apple, etc...wants protections to their products. There are also certain demands technologically that are made to a company to be able have a product; some easily give in for the $ to be made and some do not). Ever country has its different businesss practices.