iPhone in Cancun

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Quick question. I am going to Cancun in two weeks and would like to take my iPhone with me. Do the same rules apply to the iPhone as if I were taking it to Europe?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
yes. going out of the country is going out of the country - you will be roaming on whatever gsm network is available in cancun. are you with AT&T? AT&T has a special plan for mexico for $4.99/month that gives you better calling rates, though i'm not sure if they'll just let you sign up for one month and then cancel that plan if you only need it for this trip.

roaming is expensive - at the very least, you should turn data roaming off in your settings...

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
yes. going out of the country is going out of the country - you will be roaming on whatever gsm network is available in cancun. are you with AT&T? AT&T has a special plan for mexico for $4.99/month that gives you better calling rates, though i'm not sure if they'll just let you sign up for one month and then cancel that plan if you only need it for this trip.

roaming is expensive - at the very least, you should turn data roaming off in your settings...
I can always ask At&t if they can do it for me. If not, I'll shut of data roaming. I will take it with me only because I have connecting flights. More than likely I wont be making calls, only in emergency. I will not be using safara or texting because I'll be too busy. To make sure I don't make calls, I could also turn on airplane mode couldn't I?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
They will allow you to cancel after only one month but they caution you that any usage in Mexico that has not been applied onto your account in the US while you still have the Mexico plan active will result in full usage charges at an overseas usage rate.

So if you go to Mexico and pay the special fee, and cancel it immediately upon return AND THEN AT&T gets a bill from the Mexican provider you will be charged some ridiculous rate of like $15 a minute. AT&T suggests that you keep the $4.99 a month service active for 90 days after your return to ensure any overseas charges have cleared before you terminate it. I go to our house in Rocky Point regularly and my charges have always cleared within 30 days of return but I am not sure how the Cancun providers are.

Also keep in mind that the $4.99 Mexico plan does not include uploading and downloading of data. It is only phone usage. They provide a separate plan for data overseas, although I just turn off data roaming and shut off the phone when not making a call so that it doesn't accidentally check my mail.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
They will allow you to cancel after only one month but they caution you that any usage in Mexico that has not been applied onto your account in the US while you still have the Mexico plan active will result in full usage charges at an overseas usage rate.

So if you go to Mexico and pay the special fee, and cancel it immediately upon return AND THEN AT&T gets a bill from the Mexican provider you will be charged some ridiculous rate of like $15 a minute. AT&T suggests that you keep the $4.99 a month service active for 90 days after your return to ensure any overseas charges have cleared before you terminate it. I go to our house in Rocky Point regularly and my charges have always cleared within 30 days of return but I am not sure how the Cancun providers are.

Also keep in mind that the $4.99 Mexico plan does not include uploading and downloading of data. It is only phone usage. They provide a separate plan for data overseas, although I just turn off data roaming and shut off the phone when not making a call so that it doesn't accidentally check my mail.
I'll probably just add that $4.99 plan and wait until it's all cleared! It's a good idea too to shut roaming off. Like I said, I just plan on using the phone for emergency or to check back in with family. Like I said too, I will leave my phone off while not in use and make sure my automatic email checking is off! LOL