iPhone in car - belkin adapter a no go...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
i've got one of those belkin audio adapters in my car. has a dock connector that goes into a charger, then a audio out that goes into an audio in on my car. used this with my current ipod. i just went out to see if it works with my iPhone and so far, no luck. the iPhone see's the adapter and says its not made for the iPhone and if i play any music, it just plays out the iPhone speaker, not the car... kind of a disappointment there. going to do some reading and see what else i can try

on an up note, the iPhone works perfectly with the bluetooth in my car! even downloads the entire contact list to my car. will have to try some calls on it later :)

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
Thanks for posting that, I was wondering if it would work on one of those. I have a DLO fm transmitter for my ipod. If it doesn't work, all in due time someone will come out with one that does. I wish they would come out with a bluetooth transmitter.....

mrmacbook

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i've got one of those belkin audio adapters in my car. has a dock connector that goes into a charger, then a audio out that goes into an audio in on my car. used this with my current ipod. i just went out to see if it works with my iPhone and so far, no luck. the iPhone see's the adapter and says its not made for the iPhone and if i play any music, it just plays out the iPhone speaker, not the car... kind of a disappointment there. going to do some reading and see what else i can try

on an up note, the iPhone works perfectly with the bluetooth in my car! even downloads the entire contact list to my car. will have to try some calls on it later :)
Did you put your iPhone in airplane mode? I put my iPhone on a ihome speaker for ipod stereo and it prompted me to put the iPhone in airplane mode to play correctly. It works perfectly. I guess you could try that and hope nobody calls you. :)

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
i was just posting over on the bmw forums and someone said that while the dock port is the same, some of the audio pinouts/functionality is different, so the current ipod audio/dock adapters won't work.

if others can test that would be great. so far i know mine doesn't work, and another guy over on a bmw forum said his monster one doesn't work either.

worst case i'll just get a cable to use the 3.5mm jack and wait till someone comes out with one that does work

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Did you put your iPhone in airplane mode? I put my iPhone on a ihome speaker for ipod stereo and it prompted me to put the iPhone in airplane mode to play correctly. It works perfectly. I guess you could try that and hope nobody calls you. :)
yeah, it did prompt me. i thought i swapped it over, but i'll have to test later and double check.

having to use it in plane mode would kind of suck, b/c i use my phone with the built in BT hands free in my car.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I took a box cutting razor to the end of my cable, trimmed off just a smidge of plastic surrounding the end of the jack, and voila! Fits like a charm.

For 600 dinero, I didn't have a problem taking a chance on modding my $6 cable. Now, when it comes to shaving of the housing of my noise-cancelling Bose headphones, that may be another matter....

insocal

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007

Your contacts downloaded to your car's BT phone book? I had an option to transfer the phone book on my old Pearl but can't seem to figure out how to do that with the iPhone. It paired fine but no transfer of CONTACTS. I have a PRIUS. Any advice on this? Thanks!

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Your contacts downloaded to your car's BT phone book? I had an option to transfer the phone book on my old Pearl but can't seem to figure out how to do that with the iPhone. It paired fine but no transfer of CONTACTS. I have a PRIUS. Any advice on this? Thanks!
no idea on how the prius interacts. i've got a bmw 330i and it just pairs up, then dumps the contacts into the car. i didn't really have to do much besides pair it. the iPhone actually detected it as a bmw bluetooth interface. might want to check with toyota or even Apple, its possible the iPhone just see's yours as a handsfree device, instead of the proper car interface

insocal

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
no idea on how the prius interacts. i've got a bmw 330i and it just pairs up, then dumps the contacts into the car. i didn't really have to do much besides pair it. the iPhone actually detected it as a bmw bluetooth interface. might want to check with toyota or even Apple, its possible the iPhone just see's yours as a handsfree device, instead of the proper car interface
Thanks! Appreciate you getting back to me!

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
the line out has been disabled on the iPhone. i was told this by the folks who make the sik imp, which i used in my car with my ipod.

now i'm going with my headphone jack...no need for an adapter...just trim the rubber on the jack back a quarter of an inch.

erroneous

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
The main obstacle in getting audio out of the iPhone
is getting plugged into the recessed audio output jack
on the iPhone. If you're trying to plug a standard mini
plug into the recessed iPhone jack, it will not fully engage,
thus giving you the impression it doesn't work.

As mentioned in other threads here, by trimming off
the diameter of a standard mini plug so it will fully seat
into the iPhone jack, you will indeed get audio out.

I was able to confirm this yesterday by cutting back an
audio cable plug to fit into the recessed area of the iPhone
jack. The other end of the cable was plugged into the car
dash auxiliary input jack, and walla! It did indeed get audio
to the car stereo.

The only foot note on it however is the EQ setting on the iPhone.

Set the EQ setting to "Off" and let the car stereo equalizer
tweak the sound to your preference.

John

JNGold

Jul 8, 2007
Are you saying your iPhone properly charges & plays music using the audio out function of the belkin charger?

Without turning on airplane mode?
I have that Belkin and use it for my iPod directly into my car's AUX port. It doesn't work with my wife's iPhone. Airplane mode didn't seem to do anything.