iPhone in Jacuzzi!

Oct 8, 2007
So the iPhone turned on after 2 days but is sketchy as could be.. i attempted to restore the firmware thinking that may help but this only locked my phone and since my sleep button is not working i cannot unlock it anymore!
any ideas on why my sleep button is no longer working and what i can do to fix it? Yes i have opened the phone up..

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
since it's "working" again, take it to the Apple store

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
ah, you shouldn't have opened it. Once you open it, I'm pretty sure that voids ANY kind of warranty... BUT I'd still try. :D

Goodlife08

Bronze
Jan 23, 2008
Can anyone tell me how to get my phone working again it briefly fell in the jacuzzi.

It wont turn on or connect to iTunes and was wondering if Apple could replace it if i told em it wasn't water damage?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I've heard people say that putting your iPhone in a bag of dry rice will help absorb any water; just leave it alone for a few days without turning it on. At the bottom of your headphone jack is the water indicator. It is normally white without water damage. Supposedly a bit of bleach on a Q-tip helps with that. Good luck, I hope you're able to get your phone working again!

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
one of my friends dropped hers in the sink. she took a really fine paint brush and white out and Apple gave her a new one

Goodlife08

Bronze
Jan 23, 2008
Well I dropped it in about 8 hours ago and just put it in a bag of rice.

What does the indicator look like if its water damageD?

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
the indicator turns red. sometimes its hard to see that its red and you need to hold it at the right angle in the light to see it. i could also look slightly pink. if its not white Apple will be able to tell it got wet.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I've heard people say that putting your iPhone in a bag of dry rice will help absorb any water; just leave it alone for a few days without turning it on. At the bottom of your headphone jack is the water indicator. It is normally white without water damage. Supposedly a bit of bleach on a Q-tip helps with that. Good luck, I hope you're able to get your phone working again!
+1

Thats like identical to what I was gonna say lol

Goodlife08

Bronze
Jan 23, 2008
cause im an idiot and put it in my swim trunks pocket then hopped in to start the jets

Goodlife08

Bronze
Jan 23, 2008
But I've had it in a bag of dry rice with about 2 and its 10:30 and i just tried and nothing happened

Should i leave it in for a few days?

Goodlife08

Bronze
Jan 23, 2008
Also, the indicator is half white half pink : /

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
But I've had it in a bag of dry rice with about 2 and its 10:30 and i just tried and nothing happened

Buffy nailed the answer. The length of time in the bag of rice, however, depends on the extent of the damage.

Whatever you do, resist the urge to turn it on every day and check. For real, your best chances of reviving it is to leave it in there with the rice for over a week. Maybe two. It's going to be tough. But it has to suck aaaaall that water out from those tiny cracks via osmosis. That s**t takes time.

Turning it on early will only increase the chance for permanent damage. Try it after a week.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank

Your supposed to leave it in a bag of rice near heat like a furnace or in the sun...im pretty sure thats what ive heard your supposed to do.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
My friend jumped into the river with his blackberry in his pocket. He let it dry out in the rice, after 24 hours he was ready to chuck the phone and get a new one. 2 days later he tried it and worked as usual. It just took time to completely dry out, you just need to be patient.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Soo...what does the rice exactly do to dry the phones?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Rice is absorbent. Kind of like those silica packets you get with electronic products. In fact, hey, if you got any of those, chuck them in the bag, too.... much more effective.

But putting it in a warm place is a good idea. Not too hot, obviously, but in the sun, in the bag of rice... that would do it well.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
But can it dry out the phone from the inside too?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's the point of the heat. It will slowly evaporate the water and the rice will absorb it.