iPhone in my car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

B-MAC

Sep 15, 2007
Ohio
Well, my friends all have a headphone jack coming out of their head units to go to their iPhones. i took it to the shop thinking i was gonna get that done, and i thought wrong. it came out with a cord that plugs into the charge/dock spot. it charges it and plays the music through my head unit. (My alpine has a "ipod" function and you are supposed to be able to plug it in, the scroll through the music on the actual head unit, i plug it in but cant choose a song on my iPhone or the cd player, just can skip songs.) But anyway, the guys that did it called alpine and in order for it to work right, with me scrolling though the music, i need a firmware update...any idea where i can get that?

thanks.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Well, my friends all have a headphone jack coming out of their head units to go to their iPhones. i took it to the shop thinking i was gonna get that done, and i thought wrong. it came out with a cord that plugs into the charge/dock spot. it charges it and plays the music through my head unit. (My alpine has a "ipod" function and you are supposed to be able to plug it in, the scroll through the music on the actual head unit, i plug it in but cant choose a song on my iPhone or the cd player, just can skip songs.) But anyway, the guys that did it called alpine and in order for it to work right, with me scrolling though the music, i need a firmware update...any idea where i can get that?

thanks.
have you chkd the store on this site?

B-MAC

Sep 15, 2007
Ohio
when the people at the shop called alpine, they said i needed some firmware for my iPhone, because if they do this for someone and they use an ipod it works. im not sure i was hoping someone here could lead me in the right direction.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Make sure you connect with the iPod function already up, and then turn on the radio and see if that makes a difference.

B-MAC

Sep 15, 2007
Ohio
I'll have to try that, thanks. I called Apple and they said try soft and hard resets, which is stupid and idk why that would work...did try soft. And I have 1.1.1 thanks.

papabro

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
MA
when the people at the shop called alpine, they said i needed some firmware for my iPhone, because if they do this for someone and they use an ipod it works. im not sure i was hoping someone here could lead me in the right direction.

Tell the people at the shop ( and or alpine ) you are on the latest iPhone firmware.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
This may help...

I just installed an Alpine deck (CDA 9887 model) in my car four weeks ago with the Alpine iPod adapter and it works fine with my iPhone! Yes, you get the "not a supported model, do you want to put in airplane mode" message when you connect the iPhone but if you just select "no" as many have stated in other posts the system works perfectly! You can control the iPod selections through the deck controls as advertised!

One note that caught me out.. If you have the Alpine version of shuffle (they call it "mix" which you select with the number six button) turned on, you can't immediately get into the rest of the iPod menu selections.. I at first thought it didn't work at all until I discovered that I had to turn off the "mix" setting and then everything worked just like it was supposed to..

RCGRL

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007

thanks.
not sure what the issue is with yours in particular...but I have the 9856-cda and it works just fine with my iPhone...I have used both 1.0.2 and 1.1.1 firmware with no problems. You say you can skip the songs...have you tried having the cable swapped out? Just an FYI, my head unit uses the KCA-420i full speed cable, not sure if there is a different cable for the newer models