iPhone in safe mode

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Any of you know this? I didn't know there was such thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

VALET dude

Bronze
Oct 16, 2007
Las Vegas
did it happen to your phone? if so, what happened?
ive never seen that before

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
that phone is jailbroken, maybe it has something to do with jailbraking?

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
did it happen to your phone? if so, what happened?
ive never seen that before
Uh, yes it happened to me.
All I did was change permission on the file com.apple.mobile.installation.plist in the caches folder. I set readable, writable and executable off. I made my phone respring, but it would go in a never ending spring. I went and deleted the com.apple.mobile.installation.plist file, reboot, and bam! in safe mode.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Uh, yes it happened to me.
All I did was change permission on the file com.apple.mobile.installation.plist in the caches folder. I set readable, writable and executable off. I made my phone respring, but it would go in a never ending spring. I went and deleted the com.apple.mobile.installation.plist file, reboot, and bam! in safe mode.
That's quite odd. I deleted that file too but don't have this problem. May I ask what you were trying to do by changing permissions and then deleting that file?

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
That's quite odd. I deleted that file too but don't have this problem. May I ask what you were trying to do by changing permissions and then deleting that file?
No, you change the permissions and then reboot the phone. You would get a nonstop loading screen. It didn't load, so I deleted the file and restarted the phone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I was unclear.

Deleting that file is part of a jailbreaking procedure outlined in another thread. I, and a lot of other folks, did just that and our phones are working fine. You did too, but the only difference is that you changed permissions first and now your phone is in safe mode (have you been able to get out of it?)

I don't know why changing permissions would matter or how to fix your situation, but I would be interested in knowing why you did it in the first place. Just curious. Were you jailbreaking?

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
I was unclear.

Deleting that file is part of a jailbreaking procedure outlined in another thread. I, and a lot of other folks, did just that and our phones are working fine. You did too, but the only difference is that you changed permissions first and now your phone is in safe mode (have you been able to get out of it?)

I don't know why changing permissions would matter or how to fix your situation, but I would be interested in knowing why you did it in the first place. Just curious. Were you jailbreaking?
The pop up message said if you restart the phone, it would go back to normal. So yes I was able to get it back to normal. lol

My phone was already jailbroken, I just hated how you have to delete that file when using your phone to install .ipa files. I was just playing around with that file hoping something would happen.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm just glad you're back up and running. I guess we'll wait to see if this happens to anyone else.