iPhone in South Korea

efhero

Dec 18, 2008
So KTF plans to introduce the iPhone in April. What about those who are unwilling to wait that long? Does anyone know whether or not an iPhone bought in the Philippines, Japan, or America will work in South Korea when KTF does support it in April? Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yes, it's possible, but there are two problems:

1) The iPhone you get will have to be "unlocked" for use on a network in Korea. At present, this can only be done with the iPhone 3g by using a "turbosim" (which i have heard have had reliability problems). This also relies on software hacking the iPhone, which is something not everyone likes to do or worry about.

2) Warranty repairs or exchanges on iPhones can only be done in the country in which the iPhone was purchased. So if you got an iPhone from another country, you will have difficulty getting any defects resolved.

efhero

Dec 18, 2008
i think you miss the nuance ...

The nuance being that I don't need to use it as a phone until april, but would like to use it for everything else until then. And then, when in April, KTF does start to support it. Could I then use the iPhone as intended ... as a phone?

Or, could i simply start using it as an iPhone using this mod "turboism" then switch over to KTF supported iPhone in april? Thanks for the response. I'd appreciate more.

(I really don't want to buy an iPod touch, and then have to replace it with an iPhone is basically the predicament I have.)

Cheers,

Mark

iPhone™

Bronze
Oct 4, 2008
Australia
You can buy an iPhone 3G, And use a TurboSIM to allow it to be used as a phone with KTF.

Although like somebody said before, The TurboSIM does have reliability issues.

However, If you were to buy an iPhone 2G, You can use free software to unlock the phone to use with KTF.

Good news though, That free software for the iPhone 2G, Is coming to the iPhone 3G this christmas.

msitt

Jan 8, 2009
The reliable software hack (yellowsn0w) is already available and my iPhone3G is working fine roaming with a vodaphone SIM in korea, but the problem is it doesn't work with local korea KTF SIM, I guess they need to add the iPhone's IMEI number to KTF's database. Anyone knows how to get this done?