iPhone in Tahiti?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

B-Line

Jul 6, 2007
Hey everyone,

I am going to Tahiti for my honeymoon next week. The island of Bora Bora, to be specific.
I was wondering, will my iPhone work there? Are the calls outrageously expensive?
Do I need to shut off my iPhone so I don't get some $2k bill for roaming charges?
Do I need to call AT&T and let them know I will be traveling?

Thanks..

B-Line

Jul 6, 2007
That's an expensive call..

But I'm looking to find out if I can call Tahiti to the USA.

Thanks,
B

(should I pull my sim card and install it on my blackberry 8800 for the trip?)

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Its gonna be $2.29 a minute. Its the same price even if you have the AT&T World Traveler plan. Before you go, you need to activate international roaming for your account.

Just to be on the safe side, make sure you turn off your data usage(even though I don't think they even have the data network available their) in the settings or then you actually might get that 2k bill.:eek:

My advice would be to invest in a calling card.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
this is my main reason for unlocking. i travel sometimes to SE Asia, and AT&T roaming rates are obnoxious. all in all, it might make financial sense to use the free unlocker (and risk a brick on the next update) or pay the iPhonesimfree people (as it seems they are slightly better at brick avoidance).
I travel in Thailand, and AT&T roaming is 1.99/min, whereas a local sim offers 0.17/min calls to the US.