iPhone in the Car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Boatski

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I've searched a bit, but I'm not much of an audio expert.

My head unit is a Sony Xplod CDX-F7700.
Here's the rear of it.
(This is not a pic of MY headunit)

Now what do I need to have it play from the iPhone through my truck's speakers? I read that the dock that came with the phone has a Line Out, but I could just use the headphone jack I'm assuming.

I'm not quite sure how I've got this setup, I haven't seen the back of my headunit for a while. Is the line in used for the amp? I do have an Amp/1 Sub hooked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 5, 2007
Your amp would not be connected to the Line In jacks - those are used to connect an auxilliary audio device such as a CD changer or an iPod.

To connect your iPhone, simply get a 1/8" stereo to RCA cable (available at Radio Shack or lots of places online), connect the red and white RCA jacks of the cable to the red and white line in ports in the picture, and connect the 1/8" stereo plug to your iPhone.

You are correct that you can connect the 1/8" plug to either the headphone jacks or the line out of the iPhone dock, but the line out connection on the dock should give you a better quality and higher-level sound. But try both and see which works for you.

Boatski

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Awesome thanks for the quick reply.

I'm going to Best Buy while I'm on lunch in about an hour. I'll install it when I get home and see how it works for me.

Thanks again.

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
Radio Shack would be your best bet to get the rca to 1/8inch adapter. I have my iPhone dock mounted in my mini cooper s in one of the cup holders. it looks good there and I can just drop the iPhone into the dock and charge it as well as have easy access to the ipod features and anything else that I need.

- Garrett

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
The do sell something like that at Best Buy, but you would pay an arm and a leg for it! I.e. Monster! Way over priced for what you get. The cable will cost you less then 10 bucks at Radio Shack for a 6 foot length or so.

- Garrett

Sep 7, 2007
The do sell something like that at Best Buy, but you would pay an arm and a leg for it! I.e. Monster! Way over priced for what you get. The cable will cost you less then 10 bucks at Radio Shack for a 6 foot length or so.

- Garrett

Definitely go to radioshack. I unplugged my cd changer and ran an rca cable to an extra dock that I mounted on the console. Two six foot rca cables and some couplers cost me total about 20 bucks.

With my $100 credit, I bought the car charger that lets you play your music from iPhone. Works really good- but when I plug in phone, it says the device isn't made for iPhone, and gives me the option to run in air port mode so there isn't too much interference. But if you turn it on you cant get calls. I leave mine off, and still get good connection along with calls.

DoubleD

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
New Orleans
if you have an iPod integration kit in your car, meaning that you plug into the bottom of the ipod and it goes directly into the back of your headunit you can use the iPhone as an ipod in the car. I have a Mazda 6 with an aftermarket integration kit that I've been using for a couple years with my ipod and I tried it with the iPhone and its works just the same. I plug the phone in and it ask to go to airplane mode and I tell it not to and them go to ipod on the phone and get listening. If a call comes in the music fades out and the ringer plays through my car speakers. I accept the call and go to speaker phone mode and have my call. I end the call and the music fades back in! Its actually very sweet! :cool:Only gripe is the low volume on the speaker phone, its sometimes hard to hear the callers voice over the road noise on the interstate. Its time for more dynamat in the car for sure. I've asked the guys that make the integration kit of if its possible to have the callers voice go over the speakers but I haven't heard back from them yet. That would rock!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I got an integration unit for my 01 Pathfinder LE. The Pathfinder comes with a Bose package, and I definitely wanted to take advantage of it. Unfortunately, the unit I got is not compatible with the iPhone. I even talked to their support people that make the unit and they confirmed it. I do get the "Want to use Airplane mode?" question, but it wouldn't work either way.
So, I went a different route. Since, for some reason my Pathfinder came with a tape deck up front ( 6 disk changer in the back) I decided to use my Sony tape adapter. I trimmed the plastic back a bit and it works fine.
I read of someone else doing the same thing, except he got the Seidio adapter with mic and he can now use the setup like a speaker phone as well, with the calller coming throug the speakers, and the Seidio mic picking up his voice.
I ordered the adapter from here, so I should be receiving it by weeks end. I'll try to get a recording of it when I have it setup.

Boatski

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I've been debating on an iPod ready head unit. One where you can just plug it into the USB port, though I'm not sure if the iPhone would be compatable.

I would love to pickup a 160gb iPod though just for my truck. I would only do this though if I had a bigger truck and more than just one sub along with an iPod ready head unit.

Jul 12, 2007
I currently use an FM transmitter with my iPhone, and noticed the other day that my truck has an AUX button on the stereo. I know this is typically reserved for a CD changer, which I don't have.

My question is... if I were rig my iPhone to play through the AUX input on my stereo, I wouldn't be able to control my iPhone's iPod functions through my trucks stereo controls, right? I would need some kind of integration kit, right? Then it would also display the song titles and things right?

If this is the case, anyone recommend a kit that works with the iPhone, and know where to get it?

Right? Right? Right? You would think I was told I was wrong a lot as a kid.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
unfortunately, There are not that many kit manufacturers yet. And not all ( in fact very few) iPod integration units work with the iPhone.
My Best advice is to google "iPhone car integration" and start looking for 2 things.
1) one that works with the iPhone Specifically. It has to state it ( and even then, there are some that STILL don't. Check carefuly)
2) find one that is compatible directly with your car's audio head unit.

I went the cheap route, but got a Awesome speaker phone out of the deal. I'll post pics in a minute.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
OK, here are the pictures of my "Ghetto" car integration and speaker phone.

As you can see here, the cassette adapter cord is fitted back behind the dash face. I have about .5 inches of slack beyond the length needed to fully remove the cassette adapter.

I fed the cable from the adapter back out up by where I find the best place for the iPhone to be in a car - as close to your normal view as possible. ( Because the iPhone requires sight in order to use it, ie no tactile buttons to memorize, you want to keep it as close to your view of the road as possible.)

Today I received my Seidio iPhone adapter with inline mic. I bought it right here from the EverythingiPhone Store- GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! They didn't have black, so I went with white. Color didn't matter to me, but if you want black, it's going to be another 2 weeks.
Another really nice thing about my placement of my cradle, is that the windshield helps keep my voice directed at the mic. It picks up VERY well. (and before you ask, I picked this cradle up from radio shack. It's vent mounted and very sturdy, and it's just big enough to hold my iPhone while it's still in my Vaja top holdter case with the face flipped all the way back.)

Very important! You cannot have speaker phone capabilities without this adapter. When it's plugged in, the iPhone treats it as if it were the stock headphones plugged in. But, instead of headphones, the out-going audio comes through the stereo.
This will also work with those who are using a 3.5mm line out from there stereo as well. Just remember that you have to have that mode (tape or aux) active, otherwise you won't hear anything.

I would love to have some sort of integration with the stereo and eliminate the wires, but now that I have the seidio adapter, I think I am MUCH better off with how it's setup now.

Hope that helps!

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
I kinda did the same thing that the dude above me did. Used a cable adapter, iPhone to 3.5 mm adapter to my stereo since it has a audio in.

I'm using my Nokia holder for my iPhone, perpetrating, but hey, it works!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I kinda did the same thing that the dude above me did. Used a cable adapter, iPhone to 3.5 mm adapter to my stereo since it has a audio in.

I'm using my Nokia holder for my iPhone, perpetrating, but hey, it works!
Swap that connector out for the Seidio adapter with a mic, then you too can have a stereo Speaker phone! Nice setup though!

jochua48

Oct 18, 2007
I just had a Sony Xplod stereo installed in my truck. I get the same "incompatible" notice, but it works fine and I can control it through the stereo. The only issue I have with it is that it works fine when I connect the cable direct to the iPhone, but if I try to connect the cable to the dock (dock that comes with the phone) and then drop the iPhone into the dock, it doesn't get recongnized. I though tthe dock was just a pass through and that it would work just the same as if the cable was directly connected. Anyone know what's going on here?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think that the main problem is that the iPhone uses different pins in the connector for charging and music. While some iPod devices work, others don't, and it doesn't matter if the iPhone is in airplane mode or not.