iPhone in water

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

himain

Aug 18, 2007
Hi everyone. My iPhone fell into the bath for about 2 seconds and now it won't turn off and is just having the main screen stay lit. Anyone else have the same situation happen and have a positive result? I really don't want to have to buy a new one but I guess I will if no suggestions. Thanks

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Hi everyone. My iPhone fell into the bath for about 2 seconds and now it won't turn off and is just having the main screen stay lit. Anyone else have the same situation happen and have a positive result? I really don't want to have to buy a new one but I guess I will if no suggestions. Thanks
How did you pay for your phone?

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I dropped my Treo a few years ago into water, after it dried, it was fine. Give it a day before you do anything drastic. Good luck!

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I tried to edit my original post....what I was trying to say it...if you paid for the iPhone on a credit card, some cards provide a 90 day protection plan on the item. Ie. dropping the phone in water would be covered by the credit card company. Hope this helps

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Any time water gets into any of your electronics, immediately turn it off. Now either wait for it to dry out for at least 24 hours or, if you can open it, get a blow dryer and gently blow dry out the water. Once you are sure all the water is gone, turn on the device. As long as your turned it off quick enough, there's a good chance it should work fine.

As a testimony, one time my mother put a jack-o-lantern on top of our stereo. The pumpkin rotted and began to drip through the air vents on the top of the stereo down into the circuitry. The stereo stopped playing music and we thought we might as well throw it away. Afterwards, a friend told us he could fix it. He opened up the stereo (after unplugging it) and scrubbed out the inside of it with soap and water! After letting it dry, we turned it on and the thing worked great again.

Moral of the story - water doesn't hurt an electronic unless power is running through it.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Any time water gets into any of your electronics, immediately turn it off. Now either wait for it to dry out for at least 24 hours or, if you can open it, get a blow dryer and gently blow dry out the water. Once you are sure all the water is gone, turn on the device. As long as your turned it off quick enough, there's a good chance it should work fine.

As a testimony, one time my mother put a jack-o-lantern on top of our stereo. The pumpkin rotted and began to drip through the air vents on the top of the stereo down into the circuitry. The stereo stopped playing music and we thought we might as well throw it away. Afterwards, a friend told us he could fix it. He opened up the stereo (after unplugging it) and scrubbed out the inside of it with soap and water! After letting it dry, we turned it on and the thing worked great again.

Moral of the story - water doesn't hurt an electronic unless power is running through it.
I don't think that would apply to all electronics, some are very non-waterproof..y. Also seems like he cant turn his off X.x

himain

Aug 18, 2007

Hi there. My phone will not turn off. I tried. It's stuck on the main screen. I guess I'll just wait and see.

himain

Aug 18, 2007
I tried to edit my original post....what I was trying to say it...if you paid for the iPhone on a credit card, some cards provide a 90 day protection plan on the item. Ie. dropping the phone in water would be covered by the credit card company. Hope this helps

I thought about that as well or maybe just taking it to Apple and saying "I don't know whats wrong with it"

mfromc

Aug 18, 2007
I don't think that would apply to all electronics, some are very non-waterproof..y. Also seems like he cant turn his off X.x
For the most part that is not true. I'm at a radio station where the phones get used like crazy and beat up pretty bad. Our chief engineer every month or so opens them up, removes the PCBs, and runs them through the dish washer. It cleans the contacts and gets them working like new again.

The problem is that if the device is on (or has an onboard battery, or a charge in some capacitors) the water has the potential to short it out and damage the components.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
For the most part that is not true. I'm at a radio system where the phones get used like crazy and beat up pretty bad. Our chief engineer every month or so opens them up, removes the PCBs, and runs them through the dish washer. It cleans the contacts and gets them working like new again.

The problem is that if the device is on (or has an onboard battery, or a charge in some capacitors) the water has the potential to short it out and damage the components.
Through the dishwasher? That's phenomenal, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Let it dry if it still doesn't work just bring it back to the Apple store
you will get it fix under the warranty
I'm amazed how many people don't use the warranty to get their electronic gadget fix
( I buy many gadget on ebay AS IS as long as they are almost brand new
like digital camera, video card, Cell phone,pda.... and just use the warrantyreturn them to the manufacturer and get them fix or exchanged for brand new one/refurbish)

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
ive seen dozens of nextels go in to the toliet and live to tell the tail... this is a diffrent animal... and the fact that you cant shut it off sucks esp because you cant even pull the battery out... i say put it in you draw so you don't have to start at it... leave it there for a week then come back and try it out... drying out a phone takes at least 2-3 days but the iPhone is pretty well sealed up so it will take longer to evaporate all the water so a week should do it... the drier the place the better and i don't mean something like a toaster or a hair dryer... just pop it in with your socks and let it hang out a for a while... maybe say a couple of prayers before bed too... cant hurt

b1diddy

Feb 18, 2010
If this helps anyone... I dropped my iPhone in the toilet at a restaurant (accidentally) 2 days ago and retrieved it less than 2 seconds afterwards. It wouldn't turn off until the next day after spending the night with dessicants in a Tupperware container. I then bought a large dessicant container and let it rest in there for two days with the SIM card out. It seems to have done the trick! The speakers have just come on line and other than a little shaking on the screen, everything seems fine. Moral of this story, use science to temper idiocy! Good luck.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
I hear his phone dried out in the last 2½ years.

BTW, perhaps Chris could investigate whether the forum software has the capability of adding a caution notice when adding to threads over x months old? I've seen this on other forum packages.