iPhone Installer stopped working?

differenz

Jan 22, 2008
Hi Guys,

I've got a problem with my Installer on iPhone. The last couple of times I've tried to install something from the repository from my Installer, he would download the package, and once he was ready to install that package, he would return to the home screen (the desktop) witouth installing the application. Just a notice that the installer was working just fine before.

Today, I've opened up the Installer and he asked me to update the software (Installer software).. So I did.. and just like with those applications that won't install.. he downloaded the package and went to the desktop.

Now when I try to run the installer, he opens up but shuts down immediately..

what should I do?

I have 1.1.1.FW.

thanks for any help

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Hi Guys,

I've got a problem with my Installer on iPhone. The last couple of times I've tried to install something from the repository from my Installer, he would download the package, and once he was ready to install that package, he would return to the home screen (the desktop) witouth installing the application. Just a notice that the installer was working just fine before.

Today, I've opened up the Installer and he asked me to update the software (Installer software).. So I did.. and just like with those applications that won't install.. he downloaded the package and went to the desktop.

Now when I try to run the installer, he opens up but shuts down immediately..

what should I do?

I have 1.1.1.FW.

thanks for any help

Check with the jailbreakme and iBrickr to get get the Installer.

Also power off the phone and back on.

differenz

Jan 22, 2008
hi KNK, thanks for the fast reply..

I've tried the power off and on thing (learned that from working on Windows) :), but didn't help..

could you advise on what jailbreakme and iBrickr actually is?

differenz

Jan 22, 2008
ok.. so I googled up couple of things.. I went to jailbreakme.com from my safari on iPhone and went to install AppSnapp but it doesn't install anything.. there's a "?" icon on the screen when I press the button "Install AppSnapp"..

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
ok.. so I googled up couple of things.. I went to jailbreakme.com from my safari on iPhone and went to install AppSnapp but it doesn't install anything.. there's a "?" icon on the screen when I press the button "Install AppSnapp"..
In the jailbreakme at the bottom of the scroll down should be the AppSnapp, it needs to be installed because that is where Installer is with all the packages?

I don't get it. I have to re-read this whole thread.

Lisa

Jan 23, 2008
He already has that. He HAS installer. It's just broken. It's the Installer UPDATE to the new version that screwed up some people.

I'm having the exact same problem. Despite my gut saying "don't do it" I went ahead and agreed to update Installer yesterday. My phone is now frozen for installing/uninstalling apps. After updating, when I go to touch "Installer" on my home screen, a blank page starts up (installer starts to load) but after a second, the icons fly back in and spits me to the home screen again.

I cannot do anything in my phone now. What can we do to fix this? Others have reported updating Installer did this. (I have 1.1.2 with a Mac)

Cosmo q

Jan 23, 2008
Same problem here. I had problems before with other applications. During installation the installer quits. After a reboot the icon for the new application was there but it would not start, also I could not uninstall it. I had this with FW 1.1.1, After upgrading to FW 1.1.2 (all applications were removed doing so) things went better for a short while. But the same problem was back pretty soon.
A couple of days ago I tried updating installer and ran into the same problem. Only now, it's installer that doesn't start, so the problem is a lot worse.

I tried using Ibrickr to install installer again. Though it restarts after the installation procedure, nothing changed. But installing another application never worked either.

Something else I tried is copying the installer files from another iPhone (using Total Commander) and copy it over the files on my iPhone. The result is, now it takes longer to go back to the main screen, but still, nothing more as a white screen.

I don't have time to look into the whole install procedure for apllications on the iPhone, also I have nog experience with Mac computers. Someone who knows what he's doing should know how to manualy install an application.

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
insteresting

I'm having that problem as well.

I use AppSnapp that I got at Jailbreakme.com. My installer has worked fine for the most part, I have lots of sources so sometimes it takes time to refresh them.

Couple of days ago, I open the installer, and before I do anything there's a request to update the installer itself. I can't remember at this point, but I don't think there was an option to skip the step, I'm pretty sure updating was the only option. So I updated, then installer closed. I rebooted...went to installer, it opened to a white screen then closed right away. I've done it a few times since then, and everytime the same thing.

I've thought about going into iTunes, and restoring 1.1.1, but I'm not too eager to find and reinstall all of my apps. What to do what to do.

Cosmo q

Jan 23, 2008
I found some error logs on the phone.

This is part of it:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/AppTapp.framework/AppTapp
Referenced from: /Applications/Installer.app/Installer
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Installer.app/AppTapp.framework/AppTapp: file too short
/Applications/Installer.app/AppTapp.framework/AppTapp: file too short

Indeed, that file on my phone was 0,000, while the one on th other phone is 123,564. When I, however try to upload the 'good' file, Total commander only uploads half. Without an error. When I first rename the file it does the same but with error.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I'm having that problem as well.

I use AppSnapp that I got at Jailbreakme.com. My installer has worked fine for the most part, I have lots of sources so sometimes it takes time to refresh them.

Couple of days ago, I open the installer, and before I do anything there's a request to update the installer itself. I can't remember at this point, but I don't think there was an option to skip the step, I'm pretty sure updating was the only option. So I updated, then installer closed. I rebooted...went to installer, it opened to a white screen then closed right away. I've done it a few times since then, and everytime the same thing.

I've thought about going into iTunes, and restoring 1.1.1, but I'm not too eager to find and reinstall all of my apps. What to do what to do.

Then you will be enjoying your phone as is unless you go back to 1.1.1

So what everyone is saying is to stay at 1.1.1 and not go up to 1.1.2?

Cosmo q

Jan 23, 2008
I had the problems with applications not starting also on 1.1.1. So I don't think it is related to 1.1.2. If I reload 1.1.1 it will be because 1.1.2 fixed the tif exploid that installed the installer.

Quick question for the ones with a broken installer. How full was your iPhone. Mine was almost completely full, and I wonder if that has to do something with this crash.

Cosmo q

Jan 23, 2008
Hmm, the 'only uploading a part of the file' was indeed a space problem, after deleting another application from the phone, I could upload the file completely. But still no luck. Also, in the mean time, I did not get any new crash reports. The last one is from a couple of hours ago.
Back to square one for me :-(

iSpend

Bronze
Jan 11, 2008
Then you will be enjoying your phone as is unless you go back to 1.1.1

So what everyone is saying is to stay at 1.1.1 and not go up to 1.1.2?
Well my phone was originally 1.1.2, but I downgraded to 1.1.1. You actually helped me with that, thanks.

I tried using the installer on 1.1.2, after the jailbreak. It worked, but some of the apps I installed wouldn't work. Weren't compatible with 1.1.2? I'm totally guessing, because I'm so green when it comes to iPhone firmware it's stupid. So I've been using 1.1.1, and have had no complaints.

As far as knowing how much space was left on my phone, and maybe uninstalling an app, and trying to update AppSnapp then...well...the two problems with that is that
1: AppSnapp has a bug, that disables whatever tells you how much space you've used. So no matter how many things I install, it'll still say I have like 7.6gb or whatever.

2: You have to go through AppSnapp to uninstall, unless there's some other way to uninstall apps, I mean...I dunno.

Cosmo q

Jan 23, 2008
Well my phone was originally 1.1.2, but I downgraded to 1.1.1. You actually helped me with that, thanks.

I tried using the installer on 1.1.2, after the jailbreak. It worked, but some of the apps I installed wouldn't work. Weren't compatible with 1.1.2? I'm totally guessing, because I'm so green when it comes to iPhone firmware it's stupid. So I've been using 1.1.1, and have had no complaints.

As far as knowing how much space was left on my phone, and maybe uninstalling an app, and trying to update AppSnapp then...well...the two problems with that is that
1: AppSnapp has a bug, that disables whatever tells you how much space you've used. So no matter how many things I install, it'll still say I have like 7.6gb or whatever.

2: You have to go through AppSnapp to uninstall, unless there's some other way to uninstall apps, I mean...I dunno.
I did not 'uninstall' it. I deleted it with Total Commander. After deleting it, I was able to copy a file that I couldn't copy before.

I did read something about 'patch' that moved the application folder so you would not have problems with the space limit or something like that. So I guess it is a known problem.

I was just wondering why some iPhones have this problem and some of them don't. A lack of diskspace seems to play a part in it.

Lisa

Jan 23, 2008
I'm running again!

Amazingly, I didn't have OpenSSH in the phone. This didn't help.
I fixed it by loading the older version of Installer directly into the phone via using Independence to add only SSH into the phone, then using this instruction here
http://www.hackthatphone.com/112/iPhone_apptapp_install_mac.html
using Fugu (which didn't work at first because SSH wasn't on my phone).... Actually, this didn't work right either at first - what DID work was uninstalling Installer - then reloading the old version via Fugu & SSH. LOL

No, I won't be upgrading to the new Installer. :mad: