iPhone Insurance - Question

Eric Johnson

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Hello. I have a 2 year insurance plan with Apple. I was wondering, if my iPhone was to break, malfunction etc. Can Apple detect I jailbroak my iPhone if i restore it to its original. I have firmware 1.1.4.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Hello. I have a 2 year insurance plan with Apple. I was wondering, if my iPhone was to break, malfunction etc. Can Apple detect I jailbroak my iPhone if i restore it to its original. I have firmware 1.1.4.
That's the risk you take. With Pwnage, the jailbreak is much harder to locate, even on a restored device. But, Sam (themanofthedark) said it very succinctly in another post - as long as the extent of Apple diagnostics is plugging into iTunes, the residual jailbreak evidence won't be identified.

If your iPhone failure still allows you to connect somewhat to iTunes such that the failure is clearly iPhone related, you'll be out of luck.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Also, the Apple Care warranty does NOT cover accidental damage like drops, spills, water damage, you'll most likely need to pay a replacement fee of $250 if anything of those things were to happen.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
You don't have to fear jailbreaking. Just be aware that if you find yourself with issues such as bad WiFi/EDGE/Bluetooth radios, you should restore the device back to factory (unjailbroken) condition before going to the Apple store. If you bricked your device due to an inadequate jailbreak, and find yourself unable to restore, you may lose your warranty coverage if the Apple techs discover that the failure/issue is due to jailbreaking.

Eric Johnson

Bronze
May 12, 2008
So your saying by a simple restore of the iPhone they can't detect the jailbreak?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Yes, for all intents and purposes. There will be some residual files that aren't completely revised, but Apple techs are not equipped to perform such diagnostics.

Eric Johnson

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Wow. I think i might love you now. :D. Tysm man, i was getting worried. Regardless i'm still going to treat my iPhone like a kitten. :').