iPhone insurance (usa)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
It's a Personal Articles Policy and it covers loss, accidental damage, etc. Everything the warranty or Apple Care doesn't :)

I pay $80 per year for 2 phones with no deductible. The premimum may vary from state to state, I'm not sure.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
It's a Personal Articles Policy and it covers loss, accidental damage, etc. Everything the warranty or Apple Care doesn't :)

I pay $80 per year for 2 phones with no deductible. The premimum may vary from state to state, I'm not sure.
Did you get your policy before the price of the iPhone dropped to $400? I heard that State Farm wasn't writing new policies for the iPhone since it no longer costs more than $500. Or did you get around that by insuring two of them?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You very well could be right. I got the policy before the price drop. It can't hurt to call and ask.

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Specific insurances like this are a waste of money.

If you trash your phone - call the carrier, have them send you a replacement SIM, and borrow an old brick off someone while you save up for a new iPhone.

If you must have insurance, get coverage on a domestic policy.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I have to disagree that these insurances are a waste of money. If it really does only cost $80 a year, I'd definitely pay that for the piece of mind in case anything happened or it got stolen so I wouldn't have to shell out $400 again. I don't currently have one, but I might look in to it now that i know I can.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
State Farm

Thought I'd dig this up...

I just bought insurance for my iPhone through State Farm. Only cost $35 with no deductible. Covers theft, accidental damage, water damage, etc. They're going to send me info on my policy but this is what the broker told me. They cover any cell phone under their "personal articles insurance" as long as it is at least $400.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa

i need to look into this...that way i can use my phone without a case and have no worries about droppage and breakage :)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I think the coverage varies from state to state with State Farm depending on the value of the phone. I got my insurance through a PAP with SF days after iDay and the agent told me as long as the value was over $500 then they could insure it. I called when the price drop occurred and she said they were no longer issuing insurance for the "new" iPhones ($400 ones) but would allow me to keep my policy I had already purchased.

iph0ne8gb

Apr 20, 2009
i agree with termleech.
I just don't think an iPhone is something you can afford NOT to have covered.
I looked into the whole insurance thing too but it just seems sketchy. I ended up giving Squaretrade a shot. . So far, so good. I just registered online and got an even deeper discount using the discount code they have on the website. It covers "drops, spills and water damage" which is BOUND to happen...