iPhone Insurance

Tbo

Jul 22, 2007
Hey everybody. I bought an iPhone 3G when it launched and am now looking for insurance after a scare a couple of days ago. Ive been browsing around for the past couple of days and found squaretrade. Unfortunately they do not cover phones more than 30 days old. I then found a company compcoach that insures iPhones past the 30 day mark. I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with this company and knows if they are legit or not. Thanks.

compcoach.com

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't heard of this particular company nor have I seen it anywhere on this site. I would try giving them a call and ask about their coverage and such. It looks to be legitimate but I would definitely call first.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
State Farm Personal Articles Policy. Full coverage for about $40 per year. I live in MI, I hear some states don't offer that.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
You could always try Chubb insurance. They cover anything, from your house, horses, cars, children, you, yachts, jewels.

My neighbor bought a porsche, sum idiot rear ended him. The car was totaled, chubb came in, he now has the exact same one...it's like he never had an accident.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
When i was in holiday in America I had to get a phone for a month and saw an Apple care box in an AT&T store (CA). I don't know what it covers but maybe you should check it out.

Tbo

Jul 22, 2007
Apple care doesn't cover accidental damage it just adds extra time on the manufacturers warranty.

As for state farm I've heard about that however you have to be an existing customer and if your phone does get damaged it will raise your premiums. Funny thing however if it gets "stolen" it doesn't raise them.

I will have to check chubbs out but I think I'm going to give compcoach a call. They seem legit I just can't find anything about them anywhere.

Feb 24, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
6/16/09 UPDATE: DO NOT USE COMPCOACH! 2nd claim was a nightmare, took weeks and they sent out a cracked/damaged phone which they refused to replace saying "it works". See my other post for details... Also wrote a review on Cnet while waiting for the replacement.

I have Compcoach and put in a claim last week. They quicly replaced my 3G with a broken screen with a brand new one. Not refurbished! We have teenagers with iPhones too, so insurance is critical. I do believe they're the only ones so far who also cover Lost or Stolen iPhones. They're a great value, under $60 year.

To be safe on the internet and scams, I alway use a certain Visa with a lower limit strictly for my online shopping so I can easily monitor it's activity-- though PayPal is always my first choice before that -- but Compcoach doesn't use paypal yet.

Plus, I believe you can dispute a transaction with VISA and get a refund if you are ever scammed. Doesn't Visa offer some type of short limited extended warranty if your iPhone is purchased with it? You'd have to read all that fine print in the Visa booklet they send ya with your original card...

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
Why bother... 3Gs are selling at the ATT website for $100...

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
You wont get that price unless you are out of a 2 contract year period.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Compcoach is $60 a year with a $50 deductible.
SquareTrade is $72 for 2 years with a $50 deductible.

How is Compcoach a good deal?

drb123

Mar 5, 2009
SquareTrade does not cover loss or theft
Compcoach, after 60 day waiting period covers loss and theft

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Your post makes no point.

Compcoach costs $120 for 2 years
Square Trade costs $72 for 2 years

Theft is the most unlikely event, and you have to file a police report to get paid.

Also the Compcoach website presents incorrect costs and when I called them on it they provided a 3rd set of number that were incorrect.

When I asked them to make their case for the product...their focus was on a phone replacement and not cash.

But that replacement phone from them can actually be new, refurb or used and they could also give cash...so they made no case for their product.

Now I am not big on square trade either. Paying for a general warranty that covers a year already covered by Apple is crazy.

Both have a $50 deductible for breakage a hidden cost, oh and the theft deductible is $100.

So lets look at the totals:

Square Trade $72 for 2 year basic warranty, $72 for 2 year accidential damage, $50 more if you file a damage claim.

Compcoach No basic warranty coverage so you have to buy Apples for the second year ($44). $60 per year for accidental damage = $120 total, $50 more if you file an accident claim, $100 more for theft or loss.

So all totaled up for a 16 gig iPhone 3g assuming an accident:

ST: $72+$72+$50 = $194
CC: $60+$60+$44 for second year basic warranty+$50 = $214

On a $499 phone.

No discounts found for CC and no offer to do so via email.

$30 off found for Square trade.

It does not seem to make sense to me on either front....does anyone disagree?

I had a 2G for 1.2 years and never dropped it.....maybe the $44 Applecare is all that is needed?

Thoughts?

drb123

Mar 5, 2009
My daughter just left her phone in a cab, and it was not returned, so loss or damage is of real concern to some of us.

Compcoach gives basic coverage + what SquareTrade doesn't.
To quote from the CompCare website: "
We will replace your broken, defective, non-working, or otherwise damaged iPhone with a new or refurbished model.
We cover all types of damage including, drops, cracked screens, liquid damage, major dents and housing damage, dead batteries, and more!
I purchasedd my iPhone in December of 09 and SquareTrade will only issue coverage within 30 days of purchase.

I am not sure where CompCoach overlaps with the Applecare protection, but I am sending them an email to find out if I will need both policies, after my 1st year with Applecare expires.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
They don't overlap Apple's warranty an thats my point. Read above "We cover all DAMAGE"

You bought the CompCoach because you were out of your 30 day period.

If you do the math, I don't see how they are competative.

First Year claim Damage: Costs $60 for warranty, (iPhone covered by Apple for basic warranty that compcoach does not cover), $50 deductible

First Year claim loss/theft: Costs $60 for warranty, (iPhone covered by Apple for basic warranty that compcoach does not cover), $100 deductible

Second Year claim Damage: Costs $120 for warranty, $45 for Applecare, $50 deductible

Second Year claim Damage: Costs $120 for warranty, $45 for Applecare, $100 deductible

The make no distiction 8gb or 16gb iPhone.

So you are paying the above potient costs to cover a $399 or $499 iPhone depending on what you bought.

The only plus I see is that you are covered for the whole year regardless of the number of claims....but they do not say you will always get a new replacement. Its up to them and they could give you used, refurb or prorata $$ instead.

When I emailed them they got irate. Complianed that all I was interested in was cost.....well hell yeah....that and the fact that they present invalid and misleading numbers at their web site

I asked them to make the case for their warranty from a cost and value perspective and they have failed to respond.

drb123

Mar 5, 2009
I haven't purchased any extended coverage yet; I am looking and evaluating and that's why I posted here, to get other opinions.

I wrote to Compcoach and asked if I needed to take Applecare for the 2nd year to cover what they didn't cover; below is their response. (cordial, fast reply)

"We always suggest keeping AppleCare to cover problems related to the software and manufacturing of the phone. We cover all of these problems, however will charge a $50 replacement fee for sending a replacement phone. AppleCare should replace the phone for manufacturing related problems at no charge.

Compcoach still covers everything AppleCare does and more from the time you sign up for Total iPhone Protection."

maryannee

Feb 27, 2009
Compcoach is $60 a year with a $50 deductible.
SquareTrade is $72 for 2 years with a $50 deductible.

How is Compcoach a good deal?
Wait a minute I just paid 113.00 for two years coverage with squaretrade two days ago? I also have Apple care. I have the 3g 16.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
No offense meant.

You have to consider that their "Cover Everything" response has a cost for each occurrence....$50

Therefore they do not offer the basic warranty coverage as I stated above.

Compcoach is an ADH warranty only...and from that perspective it might be worth it. I don't like the high theft/loss deductible and the fact that it is $60 per year. I also have no idea what replacement quality they will actually use (its up to them).

I do like the unlimited incidents within the year....though each carrys that deductible.

Square Trade conver the basic Applecare stuff for 2 years, and there is no deductibe. You do loose the ability to just walk into an Apple store after the first year.

I am going to ask ST if I can buy ADH only from them.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
maryannee,

You bought the 2 year basic and 2 year damage warranty from Squaretrade.

The damage warranty has an additional $50 deductible.

I don't know how many claims you can make with it.

maryannee

Feb 27, 2009
maryannee,

You bought the 2 year basic and 2 year damage warranty from Squaretrade.

The damage warranty has an additional $50 deductible.

I don't know how many claims you can make with it.
Thanks. I see nothing about any limit on claims. I purchased the phone 2/15/09. Here is part of the info I got.

Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) augments your Care Plan to include accidental damage from spills, drops, and other accidental breakage for the next 3 years.

My contract with squaretrade ends 3/8/2011. I did get 20% off but still it was 115.00 not 72.00. I wonder if I should cancel this. Thanks for your help.