iPhone iOS5 won't WiFi sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reichan, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Reichan

Reichan New Member

I tried everything written online on how to make my phone sync via wifi.
    I am using Win7
    Latest iOS 5 and iTunes 10.5
    I've connected my phone to my pc
    Went to summary
    Checked sync this iPhone via wifi
    Clicked APPLY
    It sync again until it was finnished.

But every time i unplug my USB from my PC, my phone's "Sync Now" just greyed and wont sync to my running iTunes on PC. And even if i waited for it to sync, nothing was happening.

I tried restarting my pc, phone and even the internet connection. I also reinstalled my iTunes just to be sure.

Still my iPhone4 cant detect my iTunes unless it is connected via USB. What else can i do? Should i wait for the new update before i can use it? Others told me that it'll work after the next update. Is it true? But i saw on the release notes that i can already wi-fi sync,

Pls help me figure this out. Thank u!

2. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Is it safe to assume both devices are on a WiFi network?

3. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I really don't think you have to hook phone up to pc AT ALL to wifi sync. You need iCloud on, a wifi connection, & your device plugged in. If you hook your phone to iTunes that's how it's gonna sync.

4. Reichan

Reichan New Member

Yep both are using wifi :)

5. Reichan

Reichan New Member

But my iTunes didn't allow wifi sync before so i had to activate it.
    Then i tried to disconnect my phone from PC to test the wifi sync but nothing happened. I tried doing it manually then. I went to settings> general > iTunes wifi sync but it's all greyed even with my iTunes on pc's running.
    And yep my icloud is on :) except for photo stream and backup/storage. Did i do it right? Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it ^^v

6. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I don't think it's possible to connect a pc & iPhone together on wifi. That would be more like Bluetooth or something. iCloud will backup your data with a wifi connection & iTunes will do the same but I'm sure you have to be connected. I'm not sure you can view your iCloud data through iTunes or vice versa.

7. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, it is. I used mine last night, no cable, to sync 2G of music from my iTunes playlists to my 4S.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

8. Tonynlia

Tonynlia Member
    Bronze

You have to have the phone plugged into a power source , iTunes open on Pc then the sync button on phone will become active. You cannot sync if yr phone is not plugged into a power outlet

9. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

This is also not true, mine is syncing right now and isn't plugged in.

10. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

One thing that also helped me was to change the channel on my router.

11. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Then what was the point of iCloud? I don't see how 2 devices connect simply by having a wifi connection.

12. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Wow! You're a little behind tech. There have even been hard drives out for a long time that you can connect to with wifi and use to store files and stream stuff wirelessly.

The devices can see each other, as long as they are on the same wifi network. That's exactly how home sharing and AirPlay work.

13. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

So I can view things on other devices that share the same wifi? I might try that at McDonald's.

14. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

I doubt you'll be able to get into anyone else's devices doing that. Someone has to allow such a connection.

Just because you don't understand how it works, doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

I can open iTunes on my computer and see both my iPad and iPhone, neither of which is plugged in with a cable. I can access files on both my Mac and PC over it. My Apple TV detects all 4 of my devices.

You're being ridiculous.

15. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

16. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I'm not saying it doesn't exist just not sure what the point is. If the devices are close enough together to share a wifi connection what's the big deal with connecting them.

17. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

It's much more convenient, plus it does auto syncing, on its own, so you don't have to do anything.

18. Tonynlia

Tonynlia Member
    Bronze

I must have a dodgy phone then because in the sync over wifi screen on the phone it gives instructions, iTunes has to be open on Pc ,wifi on and phone plugged into a power source.

19. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Weird! I've only used it clicking sync from iTunes, not the phone and it worked fine.

20. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

That's for autosyncing to happen, I just saw that, you don't always have to be plugged in to sync. You can tap the option and manually sync, anytime.