iPhone IP address?

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by MileHiPhone, Nov 16, 2007.

1. MileHiPhone

MileHiPhone New Member
    Bronze

I'm trying to get AFP working with the iPhone but I'm not sure how to determine the IP address for my phone? How/where do I find that?

Thanks for the help!

2. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

Go to your WIFI settings and select the arrow pointing to the right next to the network you are connected to. It will show you a settings window, showing your IP address.

Settings -> WIFI -> (right arrow to connected network) -> IP Address

3. MileHiPhone

MileHiPhone New Member
    Bronze

Thank you! I knew I had seen it before but I was drawing a total blank. Now I feel like an idiot.

4. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

Why is that address different for each different network I join?

5. meiphones_brill

meiphones_brill New Member
    Silver

The same reason as why the address of every pub I visit is different. They're different addresses.

The phone has it's own address - called a MAC address. You don't need to know what that is usually. Each network is its own little discrete entity away from the internet - usually with addresses in the range 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x but they can be many things.

The phone talks to the network it joins and asks for an address - so even if you revisit the same hotspot twice, you may not get the same address.
    This is simplified a bit but that's basically how it works.

6. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

Ok, so it's not our iPhone's IP Address, it's connections address. Our iPhones don't have static IPs. I understand. Every time you need to use your iPhone's IP, you have to check again. Every single time, because it's going to be different from the last time you used the phone's IP address.

Now how do you find out the IP address if you are connected via EDGE instead of wifi?

7. meiphones_brill

meiphones_brill New Member
    Silver

No idea. It's very unlikely to do you any good even if you find it. You can point your browser at www.whatismyip.com

That'll give you an IP address that MAY be your phone's address.

You could email yourself and look at the email header to see what the first RECEIVED line shows as the IP address - but this may not be the address either.

If you do both - and they're the same, then the odds are good.

You could also ssh in if it's enabled and run ifconfig if it's installed. <-- utter coblers

But even if you find it - you won't be able to connect to it. Your network provider will make sure of that.

8. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

In the scope of the OP you can use a static IP. I use a static (private/NAT'd) IP on the WLANs in my home and at work--the places where I'm most likely to need access to my iPhone via a LAN/WLAN. This way I don't need to keep updating my SSH setting and whatnot.

I also run Apache on my iPhone to serve up locally-stored files to either my iPhone or another machine on the same WLAN (disabled when not used).

Doesn't really matter as you can't access the iPhone via AT&T EDGE like you can on your on WiFi network. You don't get a valid public IP via EDGE, so there is no way to access the iPhone directly via IP, nor is there anyway to get through via the public IP (no way to forward ports).

IIRC for a price AT&T will let you buy either dynamic public IPs or static IPs. But these are businesss-class services and AFAIK you can't use an iPhone on those types of AT&T accounts.

BTW: the iPhone actually gets two IPs via EDGE: one is used for your 'Net access and the other--only obtained on demand--is used for visual voicemail.

--
    Mike

9. yapstuz

yapstuz Member

my phone is in an endless reboot, i want to ssh in but i can't remember my iPhone's ip address. any help please?

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Chances are it's 192.168.1.x where x is any number from 2 to 255. Unless you have that many wireless devices in your home, however, it's a safe bet it's one of the first ten.

If you really want to know, go into your wireless router settings by browsing to 192.168.1.1 on your computer and select the option to view attached devices.

This is all assuming a Linksys or similar router. Some manufacturers use different base IP's.

11. smknSRT8

smknSRT8 Zealot
    Gold

How do I set a static IP. I don't like re entering the SSH information.

12. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Just go to wifi settings in the iPhone and switch it from DHCP to Static. You also might want to reserve the address it assigns in your router settings on the computer.

13. Cleme_D

Cleme_D New Member

ip address

So i looked and there is no connection. How do yo uget a ip address without wi fi connection?

14. soldier696969

soldier696969 New Member

i think i have a similar problem i click the blue arrow but no ip shows at all

15. herist

herist New Member

You can easily determine your iPhone ip address by just visit the site Ip-Details.com . They shows your ip address details

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You've just replied to a three year old thread :)

17. herist

herist New Member

sir if any other see my post, its useful for them. So i posted here

18. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Actually that is completely useless for the purpose of this, five-year-old, thread. That will show you your public IP which is useless for accessing the iPhone locally.

Mike