iPhone / iPod car mount I purchased

Novembers Paul

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
I have been looking for a good solution for a car mount for my iPhone. I had originally purchased an adjustable mount, that sat in the cup holder. This worked for a short time, but after while the pressure clamps that the base sits in the cup holder wore out. I bought a suction cup style mount from the same company, and I didn't like mounting it on the windshield, as a few times the suction cup would give way under the weight of the iPhone, and the entire clap and adjustable arm would fall to the floor. Being paranoid of breaking the screen, this solution no longer worked for me.

I found an iPhone mount, that actually uses the bolt to the car seat to mount the arm to the floor of the vehicle. The quality is fantastic, and the gooseneck arm is very durable. This has got to be the most industrial feeling product I've come across, and it's perfect for my needs.

Here's a link, check it out...

http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/sm225-iphone.htm

I actually ordered it from their Ebay store, and got it in about 4 days.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
What about vibration? Does the iPhone seem to shake a lot when it's in the holder. I'm looking for a good solution for a Ford F150 Truck. I've thought about this one a few times but changed my mind because I was worried about vibration.

Novembers Paul

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
What about vibration? Does the iPhone seem to shake a lot when it's in the holder. I'm looking for a good solution for a Ford F150 Truck. I've thought about this one a few times but changed my mind because I was worried about vibration.
The best word I can use to describe this mount, is "Industrial." It's honestly the most SOLID mount I've seen. Heavy and strong. Even the gooseneck is hard to bend, so ones it's in place, it stays there. You have the freedom to tighten all the bolts and brackets on the unit, to secure it and make it feel like a part of the car. You'll get normal vibration, but this will help keep it in place.

I'm REALLY impressed with this unit, and I highly recommend it.

Novembers Paul

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
This looks great, where exactly does it attach to?
Also, how wide do the arms stretch, ie, I've got a case on mine and I'd like t o know if it would fit.
All you need to do to attach it, is loosen the passenger side seat bolt, and slip in under the bolt, and re tighten the seat down. Literally a 2 minute install. I too was worried about the arms, because I use the leather CaseMate on my phone, and I'm happy to say, it fits perfectly with a little room to spare. The clamp that actually holds the iPhone is removable, and it seems to be universal, as the other clamps I bought from BestBuy can be used instead if I wanted.

If you put an uncased (or naked) phone into the clamp that comes with it, I would say fully open, there's about .25 of an inch on each side of play. There's also another 8th of an inch in foam to hold it, so unless the case adds a huge amount of width to the phone, my guess is it would fit.

If I remember, I'll measure the opening at it's max when I go to the car later.

Novembers Paul

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
The phone holder full opening is 2 and 11/16 or 2.6875. The foam is just a touch over 1/8 of an each on each side. So, the naked iPhone does have about 1/8 on each side at it's widest opening, and another 1/8 each side in foam. Good amount of space to handle a case. Something like the Otterbox may be too wide, but I'd say 90% of the options out there will work great.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
That looks very much like an Arkon mount. I have an Arkon mount that uses a suction cup to the windshield (puts it into my more direct peripheral view) and I use cables for charging and music playback that run up alongside my dashboard. (It is the Arkon "Freedom Mount" as shown at http://www.arkon.com/pdamount.php) It fits great, and is very stable and adjustable.

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
That looks very much like an Arkon mount. I have an Arkon mount that uses a suction cup to the windshield (puts it into my more direct peripheral view) and I use cables for charging and music playback that run up alongside my dashboard. (It is the Arkon "Freedom Mount" as shown at http://www.arkon.com/pdamount.php) It fits great, and is very stable and adjustable.
Yes, it is an Arkon Mount. The floor bolt model is actually available on the page you linked too. It's $10 less through www.mountguys.com. Very nice products!

omahogan

Jan 11, 2008
I have a question. Does anyone know if this mount will work with dock connector peripherals? (FM transmitters, etc.) I use the Monster iEZClick in my car so that I don't have to look at the iPod Touch when changing songs, allowing me to keep my eyes on the road. (Highly recommended, BTW: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3714)

I'm hoping this mount can accommodate dock connector items, because it's exactly what I'm looking for in my car. Thanks for posting about it, Novembers Paul!

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
I have a question. Does anyone know if this mount will work with dock connector peripherals? (FM transmitters, etc.) I use the Monster iEZClick in my car so that I don't have to look at the iPod Touch when changing songs, allowing me to keep my eyes on the road. (Highly recommended, BTW: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3714)

I'm hoping this mount can accommodate dock connector items, because it's exactly what I'm looking for in my car. Thanks for posting about it, Novembers Paul!
The space on the bottom of the holder is just wide enough for my dock connector, and looking on a site, it seems like the Monster iEZClick uses a dock connector sized plug in. It looks like it should fit. If you want to measure the plug, I'll do the same when I go back into this horrid Chicago cold. haha

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA

I have used mine with several different adapters. The bottom legs are somewhat adjustable, you can space them close or apart as needed. I would think it would work.

I like my mount on the windshield as it lets me keep my eyes close to the road (not looking down) when a call comes in or when changing songs, etc. You have plenty of options, that's the good thing about the Arkon mounts.

Asaki

Aug 29, 2008
This is nice information indeed. Tho, I was wondering, does the mount clear up the area at the bottom of the iPhone to allow a cable connection?

sleepygod

Sep 5, 2008
this is really good info guys i have been thinking of getting a mount for my car as well as a new car stereo to match up with my iPhone 3g. Now that I have one I want to rearrange my whole life around it LOL !