iPhone & iPod Connection To A/V Receiver

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Everyone,

What do I need in order to connect and play music and movies from my iPhone & new iPod Classic to my Sony A/V receiver ? After going to the Apple site, it looks like they have a "Universal Dock w/Remote" that has adapters that allow connecting your iPod/iPhone to it. It's a little confusing because it's $49 or so and it still seems as though you have to purchase an additional composite or component a/v cable to hook it up to your receiver. That's another $49 or so. Do I need both or one or the other ? I really like the look of the iPhone or iPod sitting in the dock while playing music through my receiver. Thanks in advance. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers !

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
when i bought my universal dock a few years ago, it came with the A/V cable. Not sure if that's changed...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
doesn't look like it does anymore:

What’s in the Box
  • iPod Universal Dock
  • Apple Remote
  • Five Dock Adapters that fit iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic (80GB and 160GB), iPod with video (30GB and 80GB), iPod touch, and iPhone
  • User Guide

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
The universal dock does not come with the cable or the power supplies anymore. It is pricey, but is is a good dock.

I actually have several of them... My wife and I each have one in our travel backpacks... so we can easily dock on the road (we travel about 1/2 time). At home I have one connected to my Bose wave radio in the bedroom... and I have internet and iPod music available. At work, I have a dock connected to my docking station, so that I can easily sync and charge my iPhone during the day. That is *GULP* $200 just in docks... not counting cables and such (which I already had from my pre-existing iPods).

Of the 4 docks, I only connect the audio to the one in my bedroom which is connected to the Bose radio. At work... I only have it connected via a USB cable for both sync and charging. For our travel docks... I use the wall adapters and USB cable that came with the phones.

/Jim

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
All you need is the av cables. Just choose either the composite or the component whatever your receiver can except (component being better for video). The av cables come with both sound video and charging connections as well as a power brick, I'm actually using my travel set right now to charge my iPhone while typing this message.

As for the dock, you don't need it but it's a nice addon since it comes with a remote and u can make the iPod/iPhone stand up instead of laying down while you use it. I have a dock as well. But if you wanna save money it's not necessary.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the help.

Staszek, would my iPhone dock work. The Apple guy said if it had the 31 pin connection, I'd be able to use my iPhone dock and that way, it would be in the standing position. Just wondering. Thanks again.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the help.

Staszek, would my iPhone dock work. The Apple guy said if it had the 31 pin connection, I'd be able to use my iPhone dock and that way, it would be in the standing position. Just wondering. Thanks again.
Unfortunately no, I just tried it with my iPhone dock, it wont let the iPhone turn on the tv out so it just plays on the iPhone screen instead of the TV or Stereo.

Although I didn't try it with just music (tried it with a movie) so maybe that will work, but I doubt it since it didn't pass the sound of the movie either when I hooked it up.