iPhone/iPod.

Aug 12, 2009
Quick question.

My iPhone isn't currently connected to any service. But I'm wondering if I can use it as an iPod? And just listen to music on it?

This may sound like a silly question to anyone that has more experience with iPhones then I. but to be quite honest, I've never purchased or owned anything Apple.

My friend just bought the new iPhone 3gS (I think) and as a gift he gave me his old one without service. When I turn it on, it shows an iTunes symbol being pointed at by a USB cord.

Is there any way I can use it as an MP3 player/Music device without activating the phone?

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
Try putting it in DFU (recovery) mode and restoring it.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
Does it cost more to just purchase an Ipod rather than having an iPhone that you just want to use as an Ipod? I have seen several forums with people asking about using the iPhone as just an Ipod. Can someone please explain why someone would want to do that rather than just purchasing an Ipod?

ornurse

Nov 20, 2008
What the iPhone has

Well there's a camera on the iPhone and a video camera on the 3gs. That might be a reason. And especially if it was given to you as described above. But as others have stated, I have no idea if it functions as an ipod touch if you aren't connected to service.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I use my v1 iPhone as a touch & wi-fi device without a service plan.