iPhone is dead.. help please!

Oct 21, 2008
when i turn it on the screen is white, and not responding. the only thing i can do is turn it off by holding the home button and the power button for about 15 seconds (which usually should restart the machine). before, i solved this by pressing on the iPhone at the upper part (at the space above the top of the screen). this doesn't help it anymore.. what could be the problem?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Have you tried putting it into DFU mode and restoring?

I agree it sounds like a hardware issue, but a DFU restore is likely your only chance of fixing it yourself.

Oct 21, 2008
how? when i hold both buttons for 15 seconds the iPhone shuts down..

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It takes 15 seconds for it to turn off? Consistently? Have you tried holding just the home button after it turns off?

Oct 21, 2008
okay i got it to DFU mode (the screen is still blank white no Apple logo)
iTunes showed me the message that i need to restore it but when i start the restore it writes for a very long time "preparing iPhone for restore" and than gives me the iPhone could not be restored because of an unknown error (1611)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That doesn't sound good. Are you still under warranty?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I just read into some Apple support pages about error 1611. I would first make sure that you're running the latest version of iTunes. Upgrade if you are not and then try a restore. If that doesn't do the trick try restoring from a different computer (if possible). If you're on a Mac you can also try stopping the classic environment by going into System Preferences->View->Classic and select STOP.

Like Dave asked, are you still under warranty?

Oct 21, 2008
i don't have a warranty even if i had, after the things iv'e done to my iPhone my warranty would be voilated.. I'm not on the latest iTunes version, because i'm using a cracked ipsw, will it change anything if i update it? (i'm scared :D )

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The version of iTunes shouldn't affect your Jailbroken/Unlocked status nor the altered ipsw file. I have the latest version of iTunes and have JBen and Unlocked both a v1 and 3G iPhone (just JB the 3G of course) on the latest 2.1 firmware.

Also, I don't think things could get much worse :laugh2: so don't be too scared.

Oct 21, 2008
LOL thanks for the cheerful comments .. i'll update it now and see if it helps :D

Oct 21, 2008
i'm on latest version and i still get unknown error 1611....

oh and one more thing:
one time i opened up my iPhone, and everytime i pressed a little on the square thingy next to the camera the iPhone worked (but it doesn't help anymore now).. so it probably has to do with something there..

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
How old is your iPhone?
if it's under a year old then it DOES have warranty!
Apple covers your phone for 1 year.
Since this is some defect they would glady accept your phone.
Of course they won't know its jailbroken because the phone
is completely messed up.

Oct 21, 2008
well, i think the only problem is that i opened it more than once... will they notice that? XD and i live in Israel where iPhones aren't being officialy sold by Apple so i need to go all the way to London to do that..
no way for me to fix it by my own? :p

Oct 21, 2008
lol no crap :p

but what do u think is the problem? it has to do with the logic board i think, since a few days ago it used to work when i pressed it a little.. maybe so cable is loose? :S

Oct 21, 2008
it doesn't really matter, the problem started a long time before i first opened it, and sending it to Apple for a fix is not an option for me where i live so it didn't really matter..

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Well..............................idk what to tell you. That's why I don't get imported things, if I were in your country then nvmd I would do the same. Hmmmmm can't you call Apple and see at all if warranty is available on it? Was it even new when you bought it?