iPhone is dead in the UK. RIP

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Well it's official, O2, Carphone Warehouse and other UK retailers that sell the iPhone, all state that the iPhone is no longer available for sale in the UK. They are totally out of stock. Just incase you didn't know?

You can no longer buy an iPhone in the UK via official channels.

Question now is this? Are Apple going to wait until June to release the 3G iPhone in the UK and lose a month's worth of sales? Or start selling it ASAP and grab more money from those cash strapped Brits?

I can see people out there going for the 3G version big time.

Have you guys checked out that Samsung Soul? It looks good. I was checking it out on the Carphone Warehouse's site. Why do they get such cool phones in Europe :(

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
Same thing on the Apple online store.. not dead, just holding it's breath!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Unless they physically don't have the new iPhone in the UK yet, Apple's crazy to wait another month to release the new one.

With the UK economy going the way of the US economy. Every day you make customers wait, is another day they tighten their belts and change their minds!

Same thing on the Apple online store.. not dead, just holding it's breath!

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I was wondering the same thing in terms of losing a month of sales. Apple is so tight lipped about things, most companies would come out and say, "hey, so-and-so chip is on back order so we are out for now" or "we are releasing the new phone next week", but Apple is just out with no news and not even any rumors. I do not believe for a minute that Apple has planned to not sell phones for a month. No way. They are either having a manufacturing problem and are just out of phones, or they will release the new phone within a week. Because of the AT&T "vacation freeze" rumor, it seems more likely that they are going to have the new phones starting in June. But a manufacturing problem would likely be leaked somewhere along the supply chain. So I can't really make heads or tails of it.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I dunno if it is a chip issue. The other cell phone manufacturers are pumping out new 3G models all the time.

Maybe Steve Jobs is on vacation and wants Apple to wait until he gets back, so he can have his face all over the media again. I think he's an attention seeker ;)

I was wondering the same thing in terms of losing a month of sales. Apple is so tight lipped about things, most companies would come out and say, "hey, so-and-so chip is on back order so we are out for now" or "we are releasing the new phone next week", but Apple is just out with no news and not even any rumors. I do not believe for a minute that Apple has planned to not sell phones for a month. No way. They are either having a manufacturing problem and are just out of phones, or they will release the new phone within a week. Because of the AT&T "vacation freeze" rumor, it seems more likely that they are going to have the new phones starting in June. But a manufacturing problem would likely be leaked somewhere along the supply chain. So I can't really make heads or tails of it.

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
Here in Little Rock...they can be had very easy at AT&T stores, both models. I just bought a 16gb today. I called the Apple store in Germantown, TN (Memphis) and they still had 16gb as of yesterday.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I called the Apple stores here in LA (Pasadena, The Grove & Beverly Hills) and they were all sold out of both models. They all said they were not expecting anymore in. When I asked if the 3G ones were coming out, they got very tight lipped. It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

Here in Little Rock...they can be had very easy at AT&T stores, both models. I just bought a 16gb today. I called the Apple store in Germantown, TN (Memphis) and they still had 16gb as of yesterday.

Oct 15, 2007
My 8 gig was stolen, the Apple store here, in Annapolis, MD, was sold out but the AT&T store had plenty...

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
a post in another forum made me think of this - what if the "sold out" status of iPhones in Apple stores is really about their 14-day return policy? they might just be worried about everyone who buys a 1st gen iPhone wanting to return it and exchange it for the 3G iPhone, unless it's already past the 14-day return policy window! so, the easiest solution to avoid this is to be "out of stock" of the 1st gen iPhone for at least 14 days, then no one could buy one and go back to a store and try to exchange it for a 3G iPhone under that return policy...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Whoa! I didn't even think of that. That's really good thinking. That was they can avoid another huge "price-drop fiasco". Still, if the iPhone isn't released relatively soon you would imagine the lost revenues would be huge. Keeping them sold out until the end of June would be a pretty long time.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Hmm, I'm not sure of that. Most of the 14 day return policies will apply to the US, more than anywhere else.

For most other countries, the iPhone will be brand new (Japan, Switzerland etc). So they will not have any 14 day return policies to worry about.

For once, I don't think the 3G iPhone's biggest market will be the US. I can seriously seeing it being either the Europe or Japan. They have hard core 3G networks out there that support a heck of a lot more than what AT&T offers. Like a lot of people keep asking. Is the new iPhone just going to be like the current iPhone with 3G and a few extra bits? In Europe they have video conferencing and loads of other cool things.

I just wish it would come out now! I sold my old iPhone about a month ago and I'm still suffering from withdrawal issues.

a post in another forum made me think of this - what if the "sold out" status of iPhones in Apple stores is really about their 14-day return policy? they might just be worried about everyone who buys a 1st gen iPhone wanting to return it and exchange it for the 3G iPhone, unless it's already past the 14-day return policy window! so, the easiest solution to avoid this is to be "out of stock" of the 1st gen iPhone for at least 14 days, then no one could buy one and go back to a store and try to exchange it for a 3G iPhone under that return policy...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't buy this reasoning. What does Apple gain from this? The people who would return their 1G iPhone would likely be buying the new one, so no money lost there. You really think they'd rather go 14 days without ANY sales than to have a few returns? I doubt it.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
She's a girl, what does she know. Hmph!

I don't buy this reasoning. What does Apple gain from this? The people who would return their 1G iPhone would likely be buying the new one, so no money lost there. You really think they'd rather go 14 days without ANY sales than to have a few returns? I doubt it.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i don't think it's THE driving factor between the gap in 1st generation iPhone stock and the release of the 3G iPhone, but i wouldn't be surprised if it were a consideration for Apple.

and returns do result in lost money - when they go to re-sell the returned iPhone, they can't sell it as new but as a refurb at less than full retail price. technically, there are other costs in processing the return as well (the time taken by staff in stores to handle it, shipping them to where they re-condition them, and then shipping them to AT&T or other channels used to sell refurbs). how can you think it won't?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
But weren't people complaining about the refurbs? Saying that AT&T just took the returns, stuck them in a box and just sent them out again? Some people claimed to have gotten iPhones which still had people's numbers on them and stuff.

i don't think it's THE driving factor between the gap in 1st generation iPhone stock and the release of the 3G iPhone, but i wouldn't be surprised if it were a consideration for Apple.

and returns do result in lost money - when they go to re-sell the returned iPhone, they can't sell it as new but as a refurb at less than full retail price. technically, there are other costs in processing the return as well (the time taken by staff in stores to handle it, shipping them to where they re-condition them, and then shipping them to AT&T or other channels used to sell refurbs). how can you think it won't?