iPhone is iCandy

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I couldn't be happier with today's keynote (well, perhaps if the Everything iPhone server didn't crash). The iPhone is just an amazing looking mobile phone. I cannot believe I have to wait until June for this phone. So many questions about it and cannot wait to talk it up. Glad to see the end of the rumor mill and start of the real iPhone. :laugh2:

Jan 10, 2007
Southeast
One thing I didn't pick up on yesterday was External memory . . . I am guessing that it will have the ability to add additional flash memory . . . I was curious as to if it will and what the format might be (sd, xd, etc.)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
First off, welcome to EI from ET.;)

There is no external flash memory. No SD,miniSD or XD. It's either 4GB or 8GB. With that amount of internal memory, I guess Apple didn't want to get involved with adding a slot for flash based memory. The less you add, the easier it is to create a design like the iPhone. Similarly, let's hope the internal battery is suitable for smartphone usage, as there will not be options for an external 3rd party battery offering increased talk/standby time like with the Treo.

-Chris

Last edited:

twindc23

Bronze
Jan 10, 2007
WOW!.....i too cant wait for this phone to come out. I'll def be in line for the 8GB iPhone.

oh btw..... Hi! and looks like a great site to share everything iPhone :laugh2:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
WOW!.....i too cant wait for this phone to come out. I'll def be in line for the 8GB iPhone.

oh btw..... Hi! and looks like a great site to share everything iPhone :laugh2:
Thanks for joining! I too plan on getting the 8GB. I hope it works like the Shuffle where you can use it with your existing iPod. I own the 60GB and the shuffle. I like the ability of setting options for how I want my Shuffle filled.

Jan 12, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I totally agree that it is amazing looking. It's actually the most insanely phenomenal piece of equipment I've ever encountered! After watching the entire Keynote, I became an instant iPhone fan. I know I'm going to get one! I might just get the 4GB to save money, but I have a lot of time to save up and might change my mind and get the 8GB one!

Great site! :laugh2:

VOx-Pop

Apr 7, 2007
There really isn't anything except the LG Prada phone that competes with the iPhone on looks... but I can't help feeling that it's one hell of an expensive phone if it doesn't do corporate push email. I can't bare the idea of having to carry a "work phone" and my iPhone just because the iPhone won't run my work email.

khunlyon

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
There really isn't anything except the LG Prada phone that competes with the iPhone on looks... but I can't help feeling that it's one hell of an expensive phone if it doesn't do corporate push email. I can't bare the idea of having to carry a "work phone" and my iPhone just because the iPhone won't run my work email.
As much as i HATE yahoo - when the iPhone was announced i was actually glad that my work uses yahoo servers for its email - i'll get free push for work at least - too bad gmail didn't do the same sort of contract...

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
As much as i HATE yahoo - when the iPhone was announced i was actually glad that my work uses yahoo servers for its email - i'll get free push for work at least - too bad gmail didn't do the same sort of contract...
You think you get a special yahoo email address? Something like @iPhone.com? Cause many people don't have a Yahoo account or like me cant get the name I want.

khunlyon

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
I doubt it - i think that if you have an existing yahoo email or create a new one you can push that to your iPhone b/c Apple and yahoo have a contract or some kind of agreement...thats what steve jobs said in the keynote at least...

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
You think you get a special yahoo email address? Something like @iPhone.com? Cause many people don't have a Yahoo account or like me cant get the name I want.
I doubt it. Or if there is a special name it will have Yahoo in there somewhere. Yahoo doesn't get any benefit unless people see their name somewhere in your email address.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Whats the deal with .mac accounts? My current treo has to sign on to the internet connection every 15 min and check, drains the battery.
You should be able to configure your mail app not to sniff for mail that frequently. If you have true push mail (as .Mac is) then the server will continually notify your device of any incoming mail.

-K

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
You should be able to configure your mail app not to sniff for mail that frequently. If you have true push mail (as .Mac is) then the server will continually notify your device of any incoming mail.

-K
It is good to hear the .Mac offers push email. Is it IMAP Push then? BTW, is there such a thing as POP3 Push?

Jan 22, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Rumors

Speaking of rumors, I read somewhere there might be a drop in the price. Have you seen or heard of this. Yes, I'm ready to get one and start using it. I wish they had it where I could do testing with it to make sure it worked ok before putting it out to production.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City

-K
Right, I just like to get my mail as close to the time it's sent. I don't think that .Mac is true push as blackberry is. Even the computer has a setting to sync every "X" minutes.

I guess my question is; Will the mail, either .mac or yahoo, "push" or will the iPhone pull a "Treo" and make a special internet/data connection to sync when we set it to?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Right, I just like to get my mail as close to the time it's sent. I don't think that .Mac is true push as blackberry is. Even the computer has a setting to sync every "X" minutes.

I guess my question is; Will the mail, either .mac or yahoo, "push" or will the iPhone pull a "Treo" and make a special internet/data connection to sync when we set it to?
In Steve Job's keynote he stated it will have push e-mail "just like a Blackberry".