iPhone - Is it suppose to get warm after 2-5 minutes of Internet use?

kazzaf

Sep 23, 2007
I read a few thread about the phone getting warm to hot. everyone says after a while. i'm just wondering if my iPhone may have a problem. Its get warm in like 2 minute of internet use and after 15 or so it is really warm . Just a little below hot but rather uncomfortable against the cheek.

any input would be great. I have 1 more day before my 14 day is up.

Thanks

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
I read a few thread about the phone getting warm to hot. everyone says after a while. i'm just wondering if my iPhone may have a problem. Its get warm in like 2 minute of internet use and after 15 or so it is really warm . Just a little below hot but rather uncomfortable against the cheek.

Thanks
i've head many different things on all ends.

i've heard that Apple will take it back, i've also heard they won't..

if it were my phone, i would take it into the store before my warranty was up.

*also on a side note, when i took my phone back, it was 1 day after my 14day period AND i had no proof of purchase.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
i've head many different things on all ends.

i've heard that Apple will take it back, i've also heard they won't..

if it were my phone, i would take it into the store before my warranty was up.

*also on a side note, when i took my phone back, it was 1 day after my 14day period AND i had no proof of purchase.
Proof of purchase doesn't necessarily mean a receipt. I've watched them just look up the serial number and see who it is registered too. I went in with my iPod without a receipt. They looked it up, then replaced it. Yes, I had registered it.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I can't tell you what you should do but I can tell you that it should not get that warm, or at least mine never does.

Good luck.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Proof of purchase doesn't necessarily mean a receipt. I've watched them just look up the serial number and see who it is registered too. I went in with my iPod without a receipt. They looked it up, then replaced it. Yes, I had registered it.
when i returned mine, the 'genius' didn't even hook it up to a computer, or use a computer at all.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida

Thanks
Mine gets a little warm, but so does my iBook battery. I did not think it was unusual. I think my BB pearl got warm too.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Thanks. All of these posts about warm phones is getting me paranoid.:eek: I would say mine gets warm when my husband drives us to work and I am on EDGE for 15-20 minutes or more.
the thing is, EVERYONE'S opinion of hot is different. without an actual degree there really isn't any way of knowing how hot is hot enough.

but, it is always better to be safe than sorry when you can get a free iPhone replacement

:p

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
To me, a warm phone means wattage.

My phone does not increase in temperature appreciably, no matter how I use it.

That being said, it would seem that if one phone gets warm, while another doesn't, the cooler phone is consuming MUCH less power. Hence, all things being equal, the cooler phone should have a much longer battery discharge interval.

I think those who post questions here about their phone warmth, may find it helpful to compare their battery life too. Fortunately, the iPhone has a built in meter to measure both time between last full charge, but also the amount of time the phone was in use during that span as well.

If one is "satisfied" to keep a warm phone, they may not be so if they also find that their phones are sub-par in battery life.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
To me, a warm phone means wattage.

My phone does not increase in temperature appreciably, no matter how I use it.

That being said, it would seem that if one phone gets warm, while another doesn't, the cooler phone is consuming MUCH less power. Hence, all things being equal, the cooler phone should have a much longer battery discharge interval.

I think those who post questions here about their phone warmth, may find it helpful to compare their battery life too. Fortunately, the iPhone has a built in meter to measure both time between last full charge, but also the amount of time the phone was in use during that span as well.

If one is "satisfied" to keep a warm phone, they may not be so if they also find that their phones are sub-par in battery life.
Oh my. More paranoia for me. I do not use the phone as much on the weekdays, since I work 9 hour days with practically no breaks. I plug in the phone nightly, but I have never run-out of battery power. I will use it more this weekend and see how long it takes to run low on power.

So does your phone never get warm, even if you use it a lot?

bmw330ci

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
My phone was suffering from these issues so I sent it into Apple for repair. They sent it back saying they could not duplicate the issues. :mad:

So I devised a plan to get a Genius to replace it for me:

I sat in my car in the parking lot for about 10 minutes browsing the web then as soon as I walked in I put it in a Apple employee's hands and asked them if they thought that it was normal. They said no (a second opinion and witness is key), and I had them check me in.

Then while in line I browsed YouTube and really got it cookin, then had the Genius feel it directly after 15 minutes of YouTube cookin.

He replaced it no questions asked. :laugh2:

BTW, I actually made a thread on this about a week ago.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
My phone was suffering from these issues so I sent it into Apple for repair. They sent it back saying they could not duplicate the issues. :mad:

So I devised a plan to get a Genius to replace it for me:

I sat in my car in the parking lot for about 10 minutes browsing the web then as soon as I walked in I put it in a Apple employee's hands and asked them if they thought that it was normal. They said no (a second opinion and witness is key), and I had them check me in.

Then while in line I browsed YouTube and really got it cookin, then had the Genius feel it directly after 15 minutes of YouTube cookin.

He replaced it no questions asked. :laugh2:

BTW, I actually made a thread on this about a week ago.
I have read a few threads on this-I probably read yours also. I tend to overthink things and get extra paranoid, so I have not been too stressed about the phone getting warm. (Thinking that it is my own craziness, not an iPhone problem). My BIL and MIL have iPhones so I will ask them if theirs get hot. I should play with one of theirs and mine at the same time and see what the results are.

Thanks for the insight on how to get it hot before you go into the store. I have to drive 30-45 minutes to get to an Apple store and do not want to waste a trip if I need to go.

kazzaf

Sep 23, 2007
So i got an exchange today. I can tell you that there is a difference in warmth levels also i got a week 38 iPhone and it also has a brighter screen. the old screen was 7455232 and my new screen is 7459072

kazzaf

Sep 23, 2007
mine gets hot too, but i kinda like it ;)
Well before when I used edge or wifi for a few minutes it would get really warm but with the new one i surfed the web on it for about 45min and it wasn't even warm.

Also the screen is way brighter. I have set it really low and it was almost like my old phone which was set at half.