iPhone is now a door stopper

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 13, 2007
I was using the griffin fm transmitter to listen to it while commuting... Anyways so I shuted it off cause it was kinda getting hot... Well it got even hotter when I shuted it off so now I can't even turn it back on... I had a couple of mods on it fyi... Can I take it to Apple or the store I got it from to exchange it? What are my options?

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
if the phone will do nothing, that is no restore or charge or anything, AND you legit activated it on AT&T there is a chance Apple store will help. Apple now requires a phone number tied to you and your iPhone through att, for service.

While i go on record saying that it is not the most honorable thing to do, if you bring in a dead phone, there is no way for you or Apple to tell if your apps caused it. Odds are they may not ask, and if they do, well your call on the answer. But i cannot imagine a better reason for a new phone than a non responsive fried iPhone.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Take it to Apple, if your phone is clear of unlocking and mods.

If not, take out the SIM card and buy a new iPhone.

jaepoori

Oct 16, 2007
so if you activated your phone through ATT then you should be ok. Go tell them what happened and don't tell them you hacked it or watever. Just tell them that it got fried cause of the FM transmitter. If you didn't activate it through ATT and have it unlocked on another carrier then what a pretty looking paper weight. OR maybe you can use it for a crazy mod. :laugh2:

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder

Assuming you are an AT&T customer:

If your phone won't turn on at all regardless of whether it is connected to a power source or not, then Apple can't turn your phone on either. Regardless if you modded it or not, take it back, tell them it overheated while in the dock. I wouldn't mention the FM adapter unless it is a model specifically designed to work with the iPhone. Same thing happened to me, and Apple exchanged it. For the record I decided not to mod my new iPhone, but not because I felt it was dishonest (people thinking that exchanging a modded phone is somehow dishonest makes me laugh). My phone just seems to run smoother without being modded.